The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DxO on FE 55 & Otus

nostatic

It's great - I finally have a really nice copy. It has no character or 'look' to speak of but that means that every image starts with a clean slate...
What were the issues with your bad copy and how did you notice them? Would like to double-check mine. I have some blurring from time to time but I assume that is my technique (or lack thereof) rather than the lens. Most are spot on and gorgeous.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy,
Have you tried the Zeiss 25mm f2 on the A7R yet?
I need a wide angle to use on the Sony and I know you had really been impressed with that lens in the past.
I would like to return to what I used on my Contax RTSII in the late 1980s: 25mm, 50mm and 85mm. This was a very useful combination and I loved the Zeiss look and color.
Just can't tell SWMBO because I sold those wonderful lenses 3 years ago !!!
I could really :deadhorse:
No I have not tried it on the A7R yet but like all my Zeiss glass from my Nikon kit they are all performing exceedingly well so I would assume that is as well.

Your not the only one kicking themselves. I sold about 11 M lenses and countless R lenses. This is the problem with chasing the best there is.

Guy Mancuso

What were the issues with your bad copy and how did you notice them? Would like to double-check mine. I have some blurring from time to time but I assume that is my technique (or lack thereof) rather than the lens. Most are spot on and gorgeous.
Not going to speak for Tim but If I remember he had a decentering issue. One quick way to check that is shoot a brick wall dead straight on at several apertures and see if your corners are equal in sharpness on all four sides. Just make sure you are level and parallel with the wall or it will throw the test off.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Simple, pretty obvious de-centering, the curse of Sony glass in my experience... when you get a good one, you'll really know it. It is superb.

nostatic

Simple, pretty obvious de-centering, the curse of Sony glass in my experience... when you get a good one, you'll really know it. It is superb.
I just shot a lovely brick wall in our parking structure. At f1.8 the very tip of the upper right corner looks a little soft (pixel peepery!). Goes away at 2.8, and looks consistent throughout the frame. I'm assuming that is well within spec…

full:

upper right

Guy Mancuso

Damn this lens is sharp , just playing with mine. AF is quick and very accurate. I use a small spot. Just think we saved 3 over the Otus

nostatic

As a musician, I try to avoid being square. Also, please reference my other thread about being a profoundly lazy shooter :D

Thanks for the reality check guys, though I forgot to get the wall to sign a release...

Guy Mancuso

The problem at 1.8 is you really have to be so on the money on the setup. Its really hard to do. Mine on a couple casual shots looks good but Im going to run a test against the Sony Zeiss 85mm and than I will check it better.

Guy Mancuso

As a musician, I try to avoid being square. Also, please reference my other thread about being a profoundly lazy shooter :D

Thanks for the reality check guys, though I forgot to get the wall to sign a release...
That be a Property release , I think a 20 percent fee is required on all sales. LOL