The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DxO on FE 55 & Otus

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Funny I am sitting here waiting for a brown truck to roll up to my door. Looking forward to the Sony

tashley

Subscriber Member
It's great - I finally have a really nice copy. It has no character or 'look' to speak of but that means that every image starts with a clean slate...

tashley

Subscriber Member
... And, though I know that the sorts of photographers who need to do flattering portraiture will disagree, IMHO for more documentary or modern styles, the 55 when used with Eye Detect Focus is a seriously useful piece of kit!

Guy Mancuso

Yea I have the Sony Zeiss 85 1.4 which does have the look Im after and actually it would be with people so the 85mm makes more sense in a way. At some point I may get the Nikon 50mm 1.2 as well. But right now I think the Sony will serve me well. I am in debate now on my Zeiss 35mm F2 and getting a Zeiss 28mm F2 instead just to gap myself better . I know the 28mm has field curvature but I can deal with that.

Right now I have the Leica 19mm, zeiss 35, sony 55 FE, Sony A mount 85 1.4 and the Zeiss 135mm apo F2. I could do one of two things just add the Zeiss 25mm F2 and call it a day or sell the 35 for the 28mm. Problem is i love that dang Zeiss 25mm F2 lens

turtle

Holy cow, that's a good score.

I was not planning on getting one, but I am now so impressed by the 35 Sonnar that I think I will sell more Zeiss and Leica glass to build a fuller native lens system.

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
That's the problems with the Sony A7! You think that you purchase the camera to use it for your existing lenses but end up buying more native lenses (I also got the FE 55/1.8).

ohnri

Yea I have the Sony Zeiss 85 1.4 which does have the look Im after and actually it would be with people so the 85mm makes more sense in a way.
Guy, do you have an opinion on how the Sony Zeiss A mount 85 f/1.4 compares to the Nikon 85 f/1.4 G lens?

I currently use my Nikon on my D800 and D4. I can also put it on a Nikon to E mount adapter for my A7.

I am thinking of replacing it with the Sony Zeiss 85 for use with my A7. My desire is to gradually migrate over to the Sony if possible.

I like lenses with character for portraits. My favorite lens is my Leica f/1 Noct which is amazing on the A7.

Thanks,

Bill

Guy Mancuso

That's the problems with the Sony A7! You think that you purchase the camera to use it for your existing lenses but end up buying more native lenses (I also got the FE 55/1.8).
LOL. We are all sick in the head. I mean that in the nicest way though. LOL

Guy Mancuso

Guy, do you have an opinion on how the Sony Zeiss A mount 85 f/1.4 compares to the Nikon 85 f/1.4 G lens?

Thanks,

Bill
Great question. Both outstanding but i would say the Nikon 1.4 at 1.4 is just slightly better with less aberrations. The Zeiss 85 1.4 has a look at 1.4 that has the aberrations but it also gives some character , by 1.6 My Sony Zeiss is a razor though and equals the Nikon at 1.4.

So basically its maybe a 1/3 of a stop less sharp in the wide open area but by F2/ 2.8 they are outstanding. The zeiss has slightly more punch in file though as most Zeiss glass does. Now manual focusing on the A7 and A7r the Zeiss has a much better feel to it. Mechanically Zeiss just about wipes everyone up as they are designed for manual focus. BTW I find it much easier with a Zeiss lens with focus peaking as well. it just snaps in very nicely. Why most of my glass is Zeiss and a leica for the 19mm.

If your buying for the Sony only than i would go Zeiss or leica. One reason I still have the Nikon ZF.2 mount is if I ever need to go back to Nikon for some odd reason I have glass already in place. The Sony 85mm A and 55 FE would be the exception to that. I hope to switch the 85 A out someday when a FE replacement comes. Also the Zeiss 85mm 1.4 ZF.2 mount is basically the same as the Sony Zeiss A 85mm as they are the same optical formula so it holds true with the ZF.2 version as well.

Hope that was not too confusing

Guy Mancuso

Bill let me add the Sony Zeiss A 85mm is a great option with the Sony adapter as you still get AF. Yes its a little loud and slow since it is a older screw drive design but I love it anyway. Besides you can control the aperture through the camera which the Nikon its a guess with the aperture adapters like Novaflex. If you staying Sony than a good move and you can get the Sony used like I did for a decent price. I think I paid 1100.00 for mine at KEH

ohnri

Great question. Both outstanding but i would say the Nikon 1.4 at 1.4 is just slightly better with less aberrations. The Zeiss 85 1.4 has a look at 1.4 that has the aberrations but it also gives some character , by 1.6 My Sony Zeiss is a razor though and equals the Nikon at 1.4.

So basically its maybe a 1/3 of a stop less sharp in the wide open area but by F2/ 2.8 they are outstanding. The zeiss has slightly more punch in file though as most Zeiss glass does. Now manual focusing on the A7 and A7r the Zeiss has a much better feel to it. Mechanically Zeiss just about wipes everyone up as they are designed for manual focus. BTW I find it much easier with a Zeiss lens with focus peaking as well. it just snaps in very nicely. Why most of my glass is Zeiss and a leica for the 19mm.

If your buying for the Sony only than i would go Zeiss or leica. One reason I still have the Nikon ZF.2 mount is if I ever need to go back to Nikon for some odd reason I have glass already in place. The Sony 85mm A and 55 FE would be the exception to that. I hope to switch the 85 A out someday when a FE replacement comes. Also the Zeiss 85mm 1.4 ZF.2 mount is basically the same as the Sony Zeiss A 85mm as they are the same optical formula so it holds true with the ZF.2 version as well.

Hope that was not too confusing
Thanks, great information, as usual.

I suspect that the (eventual) FE version of the 85 will not be f/1.4 as they seem intent on making the native lenses a bit more portable. If that is true then the FE lens would not be a direct replacement for me as I often shoot my 85 wide open.

I did try out a few A mount lenses on my A7 using the LA-EA4 adapter and I was favorably impressed with the performance. It is tempting to just get what I want in the A mount and use the adapter. That is a choice that Sony could make easier for me by releasing an official lens road map.

Well, no hurry, it's not like my Nikon gear sucks.

Thanks again,

Bill

ohnri

Bill let me add the Sony Zeiss A 85mm is a great option with the Sony adapter as you still get AF. Yes its a little loud and slow since it is a older screw drive design but I love it anyway. Besides you can control the aperture through the camera which the Nikon its a guess with the aperture adapters like Novaflex. If you staying Sony than a good move and you can get the Sony used like I did for a decent price. I think I paid 1100.00 for mine at KEH
Thanks, I am considering exactly this option.

So many choices …

-Bill

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
...I could do one of two things just add the Zeiss 25mm F2 and call it a day ... i love that dang Zeiss 25mm F2 lens
That gets my vote....here is a recent picture from the ZF.2 25 F2 on the A7r.

Sony ICLE-7R Zeiss ZF.2 25 F2.0

Thanks,

Bob

Guy Mancuso

Bill take a look at the 24mm F2 its rated very well. I also have a feeling that Sony and i am guessing here as they may surprise us with a really nice A mount cam down the pike. So buying A mounts could possibly future proof us but than again it could be a risk too.

Guy Mancuso

That gets my vote....here is a recent picture from the ZF.2 25 F2 on the A7r.

Sony ICLE-7R Zeiss ZF.2 25 F2.0

Thanks,

Bob
Doc don't think i have not noticed those 25mm F2 shots, your killing me. LOL
I had it once and sold it and immediately kicked myself. That lens is one of the best Zeiss lenses around just read the ratings on it.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Guy,

The great thing about 24/25's is their physical size stays small unless you have an aperture of 1.4....this feels very good on the A7(r).

Bob

nikonf

Guy,
Have you tried the Zeiss 25mm f2 on the A7R yet?
I need a wide angle to use on the Sony and I know you had really been impressed with that lens in the past.
I would like to return to what I used on my Contax RTSII in the late 1980s: 25mm, 50mm and 85mm. This was a very useful combination and I loved the Zeiss look and color.
Just can't tell SWMBO because I sold those wonderful lenses 3 years ago !!!
I could really :deadhorse:

Yea I have the Sony Zeiss 85 1.4 which does have the look Im after and actually it would be with people so the 85mm makes more sense in a way. At some point I may get the Nikon 50mm 1.2 as well. But right now I think the Sony will serve me well. I am in debate now on my Zeiss 35mm F2 and getting a Zeiss 28mm F2 instead just to gap myself better . I know the 28mm has field curvature but I can deal with that.

Right now I have the Leica 19mm, zeiss 35, sony 55 FE, Sony A mount 85 1.4 and the Zeiss 135mm apo F2. I could do one of two things just add the Zeiss 25mm F2 and call it a day or sell the 35 for the 28mm. Problem is i love that dang Zeiss 25mm F2 lens