The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The sharpest Lenses on earth FE 55 f1.8 and

nostatic

diglloyd complained about drop in sharpness at f4 - I don't see that in my quick and dirty. But I'm quick and dirty and lazy, so I could easily miss it.

Jono - you will be assimilated.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
You want to believe him or me . He is full of ****. LOL

Im joking. God i will start getting hate mail now.

Seriously the sharpness is identical to 5.6 and 2.8 just the DOF is increasing as we go down. Ill post samples no question just need a Doctor break here in a few

jagsiva

Holy ****. Okay just looking at 100 percent in C1 the Zeiss 135 vs 55mm the 55mm at 1.8 is better than the 135 F2 at F2 by a small margin. Its already a win and on the 85 ZA I have to get to at least F2.35 call it. Folks its a winner and i don't care how you measure the damn thing. LOL

Anything that gets close to the Zeiss 135 is smoking hot. I have to process this all out and make sure but its damn good if not great. Go buy it
I had the same reaction when i compared the Coastal Optics 60 with the 55FE. I was stunned. I always thought the CO was great, and it is, but the FE55 is just better.

I have samples in a different thread in this forum. What surprised me even more was the DR from the A7R vs. D800E. You can see a lot more detail in the rendering of the snow with the A7R/55FE combo than with the 800E/CO60.

The 55FE/A7R is a great kit. Some PITA issues, but overall, pleasantly surprised.

jagsiva

Holy ****. Okay just looking at 100 percent in C1 the Zeiss 135 vs 55mm the 55mm at 1.8 is better than the 135 F2 at F2 by a small margin. Its already a win and on the 85 ZA I have to get to at least F2.35 call it. Folks its a winner and i don't care how you measure the damn thing. LOL

Anything that gets close to the Zeiss 135 is smoking hot. I have to process this all out and make sure but its damn good if not great. Go buy it
diglloyd complained about drop in sharpness at f4 - I don't see that in my quick and dirty. But I'm quick and dirty and lazy, so I could easily miss it.

Jono - you will be assimilated.

I think that was more related to his point on shutter vibration. F4 happened to get the shutter at speed where he believed there was vibration. Not sure it was do with the lens itself.

jonoslack

Time for the R :ROTFL:​

Bob
NoNo Bob. I've already been there. No A7r for me, I've had one and I didn't like it (put it down to neurosis, but I don't stamp on tin cans either). I'll put up with the A7 until the A8 comes along with a decent shutter.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I've just ordered the 55/1.8 FE from Henry's in Toronto. Their website claims the lens has optical stabilization - but I don't believe this is true. There's certainly no mention of this anywhere else.

Can an owner confirm?

Paul David

Just picked up an A7r and the 55mm. Soft at f/1.8 and 2.0. Fantastic at f/4.0. Given what that lens should be capable of I'll exchange for another.

Paul