The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The sharpest Lenses on earth FE 55 f1.8 and

Yes, the fe 55 is excellent. But the story isn't exactly in the numbers, the text part explains it better.. the otus still has a clear upper hand. On the same note, price vs. performance, I'm not buying the otus :)

Luvwine

How much better would the OTUS have tested on the D800e rather than the D800? The closeness of these results may be misleading. Course, the are NOT close in price nor size.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Without the test I would say maybe the sharpest lens around in its focal length under a 1000 dollars. That's a bold statement. I'm going to run it against my ZA 85 and my Z135 and find out. I just got it yesterday and it's really sharp wide open . Actually surprised me. Rare moment

nugat

How much better would the OTUS have tested on the D800e rather than the D800? The closeness of these results may be misleading. Course, the are NOT close in price nor size.
Between 5% and 10% better on D800e.

DxO figures are a simplification.
MTF curves tell us that the FE at f1.4 is actually in the center BETTER (!!) than the Otus, especially at 40lp/mm.
Otherwise it seems to be a draw at f1.4 (cursory look at MTF's...).
The other graph is f4 for the Otus and f8 for FE, so cannot really be compared.

Sony Global - Digital Imaging - ? Lenses - Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA

http://lenses.zeiss.com/content/dam.../downloadcenter/datasheets_otus/otus_1455.pdf

Last edited:

nugat

At f1.4 the Otus has better corner MTFs.
At f8 the FE is near....perfect. Only some astigmatism at 40lp/mm, but all contrasts above 80%!
And 10lp/mm and 20lp/mm contrasts near 100% with astigmatism-free flat overlapping lines.How did they do it?
Those are the characteristics of a 15,000$ cinematography lens like Zeiss UltraPrime.
And those cover a S35 frame which is close to APS-C.
I am waiting for the FE 55mm and will be able to compare it to a 50mm/T1.9 UltraPrime.

Last edited:

horshack

Between 5% and 10% better on D800e.
It would likely be more that. Here are the results for one of the few lenses DxO has tested on both a D800 and D800E:

Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO
D800: 15 P-Mpix
D800E: 21 P-Mpix

nugat

It would likely be more that. Here are the results for one of the few lenses DxO has tested on both a D800 and D800E:

Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO
D800: 15 P-Mpix
D800E: 21 P-Mpix
It is not really clear how the 'perceptual mpix' metric is constructed.
I would think that D800E delivers 5-10% more resolution in terms of line pairs/mm. Then most of the D800 'loss' can be made up with sharpening.

horshack

It is not really clear how the 'perceptual mpix' metric is constructed.
I would think that D800E delivers 5-10% more resolution in terms of line pairs/mm. Then most of the D800 'loss' can be made up with sharpening.
Agreed, it's a black box so the results aren't very meaningful. But the results indicate their black box is highly sensitive to AA filters, probably because they don't use any sharpening for images they feed into the box.

jagsiva

I'm sure Sony is cooking the RAW file with the FE, so the OTUS performance will likely to be more consistent across platforms, while the FE is only on A7/A7R. Of course in practical terms, you would not use the FE on another platform anyway.

Having said that, who cares if they cook RAW files!!! If the "system" can provide the near-equivalent a lens costing 4x, in a package 4x smaller, with AF, then PLEASE Cook on....:)

or, and while you're at it, please get us FE models in 24/2.8, 85/1.8 and 135/2. You can worry about a nice 14/4 and 200/2.8 and a 120/Macro later :)

nugat

MTF charts do not lie--when they are measured and not computed. Zeiss gives measured MTF data (who knows about Zeiss designs made by Sony...).
MTF figures are for lens only, without any camera body/sensor involved.

Guy Mancuso

Holy ****. Okay just looking at 100 percent in C1 the Zeiss 135 vs 55mm the 55mm at 1.8 is better than the 135 F2 at F2 by a small margin. Its already a win and on the 85 ZA I have to get to at least F2.35 call it. Folks its a winner and i don't care how you measure the damn thing. LOL

Anything that gets close to the Zeiss 135 is smoking hot. I have to process this all out and make sure but its damn good if not great. Go buy it

hcubell

Amazingly, Zeiss is supposed to be offering its own line of manual focus FE lenses in the not too distant future. If this is a preview of what's to come, wow. OTOH, what could they do in the 50mm version that would improve on the FE 55 f1.8?

hcubell

Holy ****. Okay just looking at 100 percent in C1 the Zeiss 135 vs 55mm the 55mm at 1.8 is better than the 135 F2 at F2 by a small margin. Its already a win and on the 85 ZA I have to get to at least F2.35 call it. Folks its a winner and i don't care how you measure the damn thing. LOL

Anything that gets close to the Zeiss 135 is smoking hot. I have to process this all out and make sure but its damn good if not great. Go buy it
Thanks, Guy. I bought three of them to evaluate!

Guy Mancuso

This is nuts . I am seeing no raw sharpness increase stopping down but obviously you see the DOF come in. Now that my friends is hot stuff. Its a rare moment when a lens performs this good wide open usually its a half a stop down or so. Like the ZA 85mm for instance its a nice lens wide open and full of aberrations but at F2 its a great lens. Not here on the 55mm it is solid at 1.8

Guy Mancuso

BTW the bokeh looks very nice too. Okay I need to process this stuff, you folks must think I went off the deep end. Im in shock

jonoslack

This is nuts . I am seeing no raw sharpness increase stopping down but obviously you see the DOF come in. Now that my friends is hot stuff. Its a rare moment when a lens performs this good wide open usually its a half a stop down or so.
Shhhhhhhhh:eek:

It's okay though, I realise it'd be wasted on my humble A7:facesmack::chug: