The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7/7R user experiences wanted: Is it a keeper?

turtle

I also own a 5D III and find the A7 IQ better too.

The comment about files just being 'right' form the get-go is true. Skin tones are absolutely perfect. The dynamic range and file flexibility is phenomenal.

Neither the A7 nor the A7R are as 'dynamic' as the 5D III, the latter being one of the best cameras at any price in this regard. Everything about the 5D III's function seems spot on to me; the only flaw being the sensor's read noise/banding and limited dynamic range.

So, you can expect a somewhat slower less 'racy' feel from the A7. I prefer the 5D III for portraits due to the perfect shutter release (it is a bit lacking in crisp feel on the A7) and the AF is in a different league when subjects are mobile. The A7 does not seriously challenge the 5D III in what SLRs do best, but as a travel or landscape camera, its absolutely brilliant.

I also prefer the live view on the Canon. Much nicer.

But the A7 is tiny, much cheaper and can use pretty well any lens on the planet. Its a game changer for me.

nostatic

Actually a key advantage of the A7 for me is "live view" through the EVF. I have a tough time judging focus on the rear LCD on the 6D and when my wife uses it to shoot B-roll footage often ends up out of focus. It would be much easier to see through the VF, but no VF in live view. For me this is a big win for any of the good EVFs. But depends on how your shoot.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I used my Cn 3 button for this. I hit the button and I just move my AF square around with the dial. I'll double check my settings for this and report in morning
Im quoting myself here . Marc in menu go to gear wheel, 6 , custom settings, custom button 3 set it for focus settings..

Than you can move the AF square around via the upper dials on top deck or through the rotating dial on back. You actually get 2 options which is very nice. One feature i really like here is this ability and hitting Custom 3 button is fairly easy when shooting. C2 I set it to turn OFF LCD. Its a button that is hard to get too for a left eyed shooter so I made it the least popular setting. I made C1 Focus area so I can set the AF square or go to a zone focusing , wide or whatever you need. I find the C1 and C3 great for the AF glass. I also use the Fn button a lot to dive in where I need to go and make a quick change.

Godfrey

I have a complete Olympus E-M1 kit and bought the A7 as a body for my Leica R and Nikkor SLR lenses. I've only been using the A7 for a week or so, lightly.

1- no experience with A7 AF

2- compared to the Olympus, buttons and dials are scattered and not a particularly ergonomic layout. The menus are a scattered mess. However, once through the pain of figuring everything out and configuring the camera for use with my lenses, it works well and I don't need to dip into the menu system very often.

Also, the Sony documentation sucks. Be sure you download the additional documentation from the Sony site ("ILCE-7_7R_guide_EN.pdf") as the supplied docs have little detail. (Truth be told, the Olympus supplied docs are similarly stupidly abbreviated and you have to download the full instruction manual from the website, but their documentation is still MUCH better than the Sony crap.)

3- It's on the order of responsiveness as the Leica M9, and not as responsive as the E-M1. The A7 in general is slower operating than the E-M1 ... not to day that it's slow, its responsiveness just calls for a less bang-bang shooting pace.

4- no experience yet

5- I imagine the very best lenses to use, particular for the A7r, will be the top of the line Sony/Zeiss lenses. That said, my Leica R lenses seem to be a very very good optical match to the A7 sensor and I'm quite happy to stick with them exclusively.

6- not enough experience yet to say.

7- I gave up DSLRs a long time ago, except for my all time favorite the Olympus E-1.

8- I would take any camera I own to Disney World with anyone I go with. I generally loathe theme parks, though.

9- Yes, various types of bracketing are included, but whether it does exactly what you want I'm not sure.

10- The A7 shutter is a little bit noisy, I suspect the A7r a bit more so, but I don't understand all the hullaballoo about it. Most of the people complaining have evidently never used a Nikon FM with MD-12 motor drive ... ;-)

I like the A7 for my intended use of it. The Leica R lenses I've tested on it so far image with almost exactly the same characteristics that I see them produce on film in the Leicaflex SL, so it achieves my goal of a "Leicaflex SL Digital" surrogate. It operates at about the same pace, and has a viewfinder that is quite close in quality (the E-M1 viewfinder is ever so slightly nicer, I think due to better optics). The mount adapter for R lenses is deep, which gives me something to hold onto and helps make the little body and big, heavy lenses balance well. It's a little rough around the edges, but I'm sure it will work nicely.

I'd use the E-M1 with its excellent native lenses and their AF to shoot faster moving subject matter as it's a better camera for that purpose, but I have no problem shooting manually with the A7 on the same subjects.

G

pophoto

I also own a 5D III and find the A7 IQ better too.

The comment about files just being 'right' form the get-go is true. Skin tones are absolutely perfect. The dynamic range and file flexibility is phenomenal.

Neither the A7 nor the A7R are as 'dynamic' as the 5D III, the latter being one of the best cameras at any price in this regard. Everything about the 5D III's function seems spot on to me; the only flaw being the sensor's read noise/banding and limited dynamic range.

So, you can expect a somewhat slower less 'racy' feel from the A7. I prefer the 5D III for portraits due to the perfect shutter release (it is a bit lacking in crisp feel on the A7) and the AF is in a different league when subjects are mobile. The A7 does not seriously challenge the 5D III in what SLRs do best, but as a travel or landscape camera, its absolutely brilliant.

I also prefer the live view on the Canon. Much nicer.

But the A7 is tiny, much cheaper and can use pretty well any lens on the planet. Its a game changer for me.
I am actually hoping for much of my experience to be similar to yours! I agree the 5D3 is a great camera period. All the fuss about about the lack of DR in canon sensors are true but to the extent people make out, I don't really agree. When used with their great lenses i really have little to quibble about!

I really hope the A7 will turn out to be a great travel camera and not just an expense where i feel i made a mistake for not taking the 5D3 instead.
If you or anyone can share how well the 55FE lens focuses speed wise, I think my overall idea will be built around the camera.

The only other my research has lead me to believe is that the sony alpha lens adapter with alpha lenses will focus faster than the native 55!

Thanks,
Po

turtle

Hi Po, I'd be amazed if you were to complete a travel experience and come home wishing you'd had the 5D III, but YMMV. I suspect you'll be grateful for the small and light A7 at the end of each day. Actually, most likely before lunchtime....

Unless you really need the ultra-responsiveness of the 5D III, the A7 does everything else beautifully. I agree on what you say regarding the 5D III's dynamic range. Most of the time its irrelevant, but its nice to fall back on the dynamic range of the Sony files when you can't pick and choose the lighting.

fotografz

I am actually hoping for much of my experience to be similar to yours! I agree the 5D3 is a great camera period. All the fuss about about the lack of DR in canon sensors are true but to the extent people make out, I don't really agree. When used with their great lenses i really have little to quibble about!

I really hope the A7 will turn out to be a great travel camera and not just an expense where i feel i made a mistake for not taking the 5D3 instead.
If you or anyone can share how well the 55FE lens focuses speed wise, I think my overall idea will be built around the camera.

The only other my research has lead me to believe is that the sony alpha lens adapter with alpha lenses will focus faster than the native 55!

Thanks,
Po
I think it is a big task for a new camera to swiftly replace one that is trusted and familiar. It just takes time. When I went from the A900 DSLR to the A99 SLT, I was uncomfortable with it for some time. Now the A99 is the one I grab first. I'm not totally comfortable with the A7R yet, but have faith I will be in time … practice brings that comfortable familiarity eventually … then the camera disappears, and becomes an extension of your vision.

Both the FE35 and FE55 AF quite nicely … pretty close to the A mount lenses with SSM on the LAEA4 adapter depending on which A lens as some are a little faster than others. You have to experiment with the AF settings to find the optimal configurations for the way you shoot.

More fun and trust to come as we all get more and more familiar and practiced with this camera.

- Marc

pophoto

Marc, i dont think the A7 can replace my 5D3, but i hope it fits where I believe it to go and certainly where my 5D3 need not! :)

That said I bit the bullet today... looking forward to some magic moments.
Thanks for all the sharing... i already have a couple of Sony flashes, i still wish they can further improve in this arena, especially in smaller size and articulation!

Taylor Sherman

Hello Nice folks of GetDPI forums and Sony A7/7R users,

I want to know how this camera stacks up in real world use. Specifically the questions asked will be tailored for my use. My main camera is 5D mark III.

1) Focus hunting in low light and back lighting, is it a problem?
2) User interface, has it been frustrating?
3) Shutter response, 'I heard' it's mushy, is it? and is shutter response instant?
4) Flash use, any experiences with it?
5) I have no doubt the sensors are great in these cameras, and it allow access to a lot of third party lenses, however, if I stick with the native FE 55 f/1.8, which I see is superb, is this camera a keeper?
6) What annoys you most or what can be improved with the A7/7R?
7) What do you love about it, and are you willing to give up your DSLRs for it yet?
8) Would you take this camera to Disney World as your only camera with kids?
:)
9) Does it have auto-bracketing up to three exposures apart/user defined... yes, for HDR part of me!

Thanks!
Po
1. haven't used AF
2. menus are MUCH better than the Nex. Controls are mostly same or a bit better than the Nex-7, with the exception of zooming in/out in "review" mode which is pretty horrible (they picked weird buttons and you can't change them)
3. The shutter button is mushy and though I don't notice it much in the field, it's an annoying step backwards from the Nex IMO
4. no experience
5. the FE55 looks outstanding, and this is the only camera you can use it on, so. . . :)
6. A7: the ray-gun flare on bright lights in night shots; the corner smearing with wide-angle RF lenses
7. never owned a DSLR, upgraded from Nex. The Nex-7 was great, but getting the "real" results from my lenses is worth it, and the high-ISO performance is hugely better on the A7 than it was on the Nex-7.
8. haven't used the FE lenses, so hard to say. Sounds like they'd be fine for that.
9. dunno

fotografz

Marc, i dont think the A7 can replace my 5D3, but i hope it fits where I believe it to go and certainly where my 5D3 need not! :)

That said I bit the bullet today... looking forward to some magic moments.
Thanks for all the sharing... i already have a couple of Sony flashes, i still wish they can further improve in this arena, especially in smaller size and articulation!
Yeah, my FF 35mm DSLR/SLT type cameras aren't going anywhere soon … I need them for the select weddings, parties and events I still shoot from time-to-time.

However, I can foresee the time when I'll dump it all for one tiny system like this, and my Leica S2, and call it a day.

The speed-light situation for most small cameras is pretty poor … it seems like a real upcoming opportunity for someone to cash in on that vacuum in proper lighting for these little guys. Sooner would be better than later.

- Marc

Guy Mancuso

Well well well. I'm the crazy one for sure. The Sonys both a7 and A7r have replaced my Nikon system. Have to say and after doing a really big runway gig, workshop and client work that I have yet to hit the oh **** wall that I can't do something but on my radar screen I need a tethered solution at the end of the month . 2 days in the studio shooting models and cloths. Basically a catalog shoot. Gear not the issue as I have what I need its the tethered I need to figure out and be rock solid on it. So far so good but I can understand Marc's and others decision to hold on for awhile. Now I'm not completely crazy as I held unto some Nikon mounts as if it gets too much I can go rent. But I'm going to say this without hard proof but more on my experience and I feel my files are actually better at least in the area of color and look. I'm liking the color better over my Nikons. That was a risk I took in switching was I wanted better color and I believe that thought pattern panned out with the Sony. I'm not going to run a side by side on it but I'm going with my gut feeling on the Sonys.

I'm going to add a comment here and I maybe proved wrong but I feel everyone seems stuck in the mud and Sony is actually innovating

fotografz

Well well well. I'm the crazy one for sure. The Sonys both a7 and A7r have replaced my Nikon system. Have to say and after doing a really big runway gig, workshop and client work that I have yet to hit the oh **** wall that I can't do something but on my radar screen I need a tethered solution at the end of the month . 2 days in the studio shooting models and cloths. Basically a catalog shoot. Gear not the issue as I have what I need its the tethered I need to figure out and be rock solid on it. So far so good but I can understand Marc's and others decision to hold on for awhile. Now I'm not completely crazy as I held unto some Nikon mounts as if it gets too much I can go rent. But I'm going to say this without hard proof but more on my experience and I feel my files are actually better at least in the area of color and look. I'm liking the color better over my Nikons. That was a risk I took in switching was I wanted better color and I believe that thought pattern panned out with the Sony. I'm not going to run a side by side on it but I'm going with my gut feeling on the Sonys.

I'm going to add a comment here and I maybe proved wrong but I feel everyone seems stuck in the mud and Sony is actually innovating
I agree Guy. There are a lot of 500lb Gorrilas (and their owners) rattling the cage in mock fury and outrage at this upstart "Mighty Mouse" camera … which we have to remember is only the first of its type, and most assuredly won't be the last … what's next may well give 'em a heart attack :ROTFL:

It isn't as if they weren't warned. I think the handwriting was on the wall some time ago.

Now we can sit back and see what the response is as we move into the future. :watch:

At this price point it isn't much of a risk …. it's not like the cameras will all suddenly stop delivering the excellent stuff everyone seems to be getting out of them.

- Marc

Guy Mancuso

Exactly our risk factor is low. Lenses are always the best investment anyway and if Sony just happened to come out with a new body today it would be a low money output to even jump on it. I figure it I can even sell my A7 today and if a A mount just appeared I could even add that. My feeling all along was if I go Sony there sure to be more bodies coming. Canon / Nikon have really not done much lately to make me buy or stay. The DF is nice but it's not a main cam for me. Canon went video plane and simple. I'll take the risk here as it's really low dollars. It's not like risking a 35 k back.

Sony is innovating in the sense that they seem to have the buying power to make random products in the hope that one will "stick", such as the A7, it's something only a wealthy international conglomerate can do. Now that they've seen the positive reactions, it only made sense that they dropped the NEX moniker and shifted focus on the Alpha series, everything leading up to this was a beta test for Sony's cameras of the future.

jagsiva

I need a tethered solution at the end of the month . 2 days in the studio shooting models and cloths.
Guy, have you tried the WIFI tethering on the A7/A7R with an iPad. I have found it quite steady, certainly more stable than the phase WIFI tethering.

The really nice thing abut it is touch focussing on the large screen. Added bonuses include a great preview/review.

The file that is downloaded to the iPad can be set for different sizes, but if you want proper image review, this may take some time. Another option may be to send the captured image to a computer and keep the iPad for triggering, focus, preview etc. I have not tried this, but it should work.

Guy Mancuso

Well I need to shoot the cam myself and just have images pop up for a client on the computer so I don't need the remote part but a IPad part could work. But no I have not tried anything yet and was planning on trying this week. I don't mind being hard wired. I might be able to do a hot folder in CI . Lightroom I would have to buy if I went that route. That I don't mind doing.

fotografz

Sony is innovating in the sense that they seem to have the buying power to make random products in the hope that one will "stick", such as the A7, it's something only a wealthy international conglomerate can do. Now that they've seen the positive reactions, it only made sense that they dropped the NEX moniker and shifted focus on the Alpha series, everything leading up to this was a beta test for Sony's cameras of the future.
Not so sure how "wealthy" they are having just been downgraded to junk bond status by Moody … mostly due to a poor innovation track record in electronics (TVs, Phones, tablets and laptops) … but the imaging division seems to be holding its own, at least for now.

Seems they aren't risk adverse … it's not like the mirrorless category has been setting the world on fire with sales in an already shrinking camera market (thanks to smart phones).

I do know that these bigger corporations often play the "market share game" longer term … i.e., grab a bigger slice of the shrinking pie, and hope the pie gets bigger again later. Either way, if they succeed its a win, or an even bigger win.

I've read research that purports consumers stopped buying P&S and smaller sensor cameras because they don't see the difference compared to their phone, and their phone lets them directly up-load to social sites … so they tend to keep their 35mm DSLR which they still think is better for some family stuff, etc..

So, the current frontier is smaller, more convenient to carry cameras with the performance of their big DSLRs … My bet is this is where a lot of the competitive activity will take place in future (already is happening) … unless Canon and Nikon have completely fallen asleep at the wheel.

Perfect! Just as my body starts falling apart, the stuff is getting smaller … Thank God! :ROTFL:

- Marc

Guy Mancuso

No they must be filled with glass. Its a unbroken law. LOL

Just got a 80 dollar rewards from B&H. That could lead to trouble