The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7/7R user experiences wanted: Is it a keeper?

pophoto

Hello Nice folks of GetDPI forums and Sony A7/7R users,

I want to know how this camera stacks up in real world use. Specifically the questions asked will be tailored for my use. My main camera is 5D mark III.

1) Focus hunting in low light and back lighting, is it a problem?
2) User interface, has it been frustrating?
3) Shutter response, 'I heard' it's mushy, is it? and is shutter response instant?
4) Flash use, any experiences with it?
5) I have no doubt the sensors are great in these cameras, and it allow access to a lot of third party lenses, however, if I stick with the native FE 55 f/1.8, which I see is superb, is this camera a keeper?
6) What annoys you most or what can be improved with the A7/7R?
7) What do you love about it, and are you willing to give up your DSLRs for it yet?
8) Would you take this camera to Disney World as your only camera with kids?
:)
9) Does it have auto-bracketing up to three exposures apart/user defined... yes, for HDR part of me!

I'm purposely avoiding the shutter loudness questions, since I know and hopefully time will tell if Sony improves on the A7R with it.

Well that's it folks, it's a self-serving thread, but I really want to know if this camera is right for me. I want to avoid buying it and then sending it back or putting it up on ebay later!

Thanks!
Po

nostatic

I'm still somewhat in the honeymoon phase, but I've had plenty of cameras (including the EM1) that I flipped quickly because I didn't really bond with it.

1. Reasonable with the 35/2.8 and 55/1.8. I have a GH3 as well and that hunts maybe a bit less in low light but not a huge difference.
2. No worse than any other modern camera. Physical ergonomics are highly personal (I like the A7 a lot), menus/etc are fine.
3. No complaints. I actually had a worse time with the EM1 which was a hair trigger.
4. Never used a flash.
5. I have the 35/2.8, 55/1.8, and kit zoom. Have the 28-70/4 on order. Frankly the 35 and 55 are so good I'm willing to work around things. I would love a longer macro/portrait but that's about it. That said, I have a 6D with 16-35/2.8 if I need really wide.
6. I wish it had sensor stabilization because I shoot a lot of handheld and low light. The Zeiss zoom may cover part of that.
7. I've already sold off most of my u4/3 except for GH3 and 12-35/35-100 combo for video. My wife wants to keep the 6D for shooting her sculpture work but that may go as well. Right now it is RX100ii and A7. Mostly I just find it really fun to shoot, the quirks end up making me more involved in the process (instead of just point and snap), and the files are awesome.
8. I hate theme parks, but I happily take this on walks to the beach. If you really need tracking AF, you're probably stuck with a dSLR.
9. don't know

fwiw I like the sound of the shutter, though it is disruptive if it is quiet. Something like the RX100 or GM1 is dead silent, but the A7 is comparable to the 6D.

Ben Rubinstein

Hello Nice folks of GetDPI forums and Sony A7/7R users,

I want to know how this camera stacks up in real world use. Specifically the questions asked will be tailored for my use. My main camera is 5D mark III.

1) Focus hunting in low light and back lighting, is it a problem?
2) User interface, has it been frustrating?
3) Shutter response, 'I heard' it's mushy, is it? and is shutter response instant?
4) Flash use, any experiences with it?
5) I have no doubt the sensors are great in these cameras, and it allow access to a lot of third party lenses, however, if I stick with the native FE 55 f/1.8, which I see is superb, is this camera a keeper?
6) What annoys you most or what can be improved with the A7/7R?
7) What do you love about it, and are you willing to give up your DSLRs for it yet?
8) Would you take this camera to Disney World as your only camera with kids?
:)
9) Does it have auto-bracketing up to three exposures apart/user defined... yes, for HDR part of me!

I'm purposely avoiding the shutter loudness questions, since I know and hopefully time will tell if Sony improves on the A7R with it.

Well that's it folks, it's a self-serving thread, but I really want to know if this camera is right for me. I want to avoid buying it and then sending it back or putting it up on ebay later!

Thanks!
Po
Coming from a 5D3 to an A7r.

1. Using Manual Lenses
2. Yes to be honest. Not that bad though. I wish to heck there was a 'my menu' though.
3. Think about 3 times the lag of the 5D3. I couldn't use this camera personally for events and find portraiture where the subject is moving difficult. The A7 is apparently not a problem due to electronic shutter.
4. I've used it with studio lighting. You have to turn off the live view showing settings so you can't have it showing B&W or higher contrast to assist manual focus.
5. That lens is second only to the Otus. If you like your lenses modern/perfect then I'd assume the answer is yes.
6. Shutter lag and the placement of the shutter release button.
7. I did. Simply I can fit the camera and 3 lenses, with adaptors, in the same space that my 5D3 with 50L attached took up. It's tiny, light and with some judicious gaffer looks like a 30 year old manual SLR. The image quality beats the 5D3 hands down for colour, tonality and DR. I've never had files just so easy to work with or which indeed need so little work.
8. The A7 with kit zoom would be perfect for this. No lag problems when trying to capture them on the rides and the kit zoom seems to be a great lens. I wouldn't try it with the A7r. I took it on vacation with me in December but found myself wishing for a point and shoot.
9. Yes either a 5 shot bracket in 0.5 steps or a 3 shot bracket in 2 stop steps. I wish it would allow you to choose exactly how many stops to bracket though. Rather weird implementation.

nostatic

7. I did. Simply I can fit the camera and 4 lenses, with adaptors, in the same space that my 5D3 with 50L attached took up. The image quality beats the 5D3 hands down for colour, tonality and DR. I've never had files just so easy to work with or which indeed need so little work.
8. The A7 with kit zoom would be perfect for this. No lag problems when trying to capture them on the rides and the kit zoom seems to be a great lens. I wouldn't try it with the A7r. I took it on vacation with me in December but found myself wishing for a point and shoot.
Two key points. The A7 with the kit zoom has no business being so good considering the size/weight while still retaining usability. It is a bit smaller than my GH3, only advantage is the 35-100/2.8 which doesn't have an equivalent yet, and likely won't at least in the same size/weight. But everything is a compromise. The files out of the A7 are much more flexible than the ones out of the GH3 (which I like a lot btw).

For point and shoot, I sold my GM1 (which is a great little camera) and picked up an RX100ii after getting the A7. A bit more pocketable than the GM1, and more similar interface to the A7. Surprisingly not much iq drop, but is a little slower than the Panny. That compromise thing again...

Ben Rubinstein

I just bought a Fuji XF1 (in tan) actually for the new 'family' camera. Dirt cheap style. :D I was going to get the GM1 but the flash sync killed it for me.

pophoto

Thanks for sharing Ben!
I'm surprised about the 7) with the IQ beating the 5D3. I also have the D800 but think of selling it if I go for the A7/R. However, a lot depends on the usability and the speed and tactile feel of the camera I am trying to gauge.

8) I'm glad you made a comparative experience, it's a difficult one to explain without real world experience.
9) Something I love about the 5D3!

The 5D3 is almost perfect for me, except for size and weight for the 'different occassions' but I almost always just tough it out and take it with me and all works out. However, the problem is 'sometimes' despite me leaving home with the camera I don't take it out of the bag because of the kids, and just too much work!

Both my wife and I love the IQ from the 5D3, and if the he A7 and not the R is better for speed, I will take a serious look. On the other hand, if operation is a concern I will consider the just announced Fuji XT1, especially with its already good selection of native X-lenses.

fotografz

My A7R experiences so far, including shooting events as well a walk-about street work:

1) Haven't noticed AF issues. I assigned AF to the rear thumb button like all my other cameras. Reports suggest the A7R is actually a bit faster in lower light than the A7. Fastest AF I've experienced with the camera has been with SSM A mount lenses using the Sony LAEA-4 adapter … as fast as my A99 35mm DSLR.

2) I haven't figured out how to move the AF square around in the viewfinder the same easy way you can with a Canon, Nikon or Sony DSLR. Right now it takes multiple presses to get there. Probably can do it, but I haven't figured out how yet. Otherwise the interface could be simplified, but I don't use to many different settings so it's fine for now. I haven't delved into it enough to assign ISO to a separate button yet so I've had to bring up the on-screen menu for now.

3) Haven't noticed a mushy shutter button if that's what you mean. Maybe because I've assigned AF to the rear thumb button?

4) I use flash a lot, but the issue is most capable bounce flashes are huge on such a small camera and unbalance it a lot. I've tried a few smaller flashes set to A just for fill, but any real strobist work is difficult with such a tiny camera. I tend to use it as an available light camera because the higher ISO performance is so good.

The upside of being so small is that you can hold the speed-light in one hand and the camera with a wrist strap in the other, and use a radio trigger for off-camera flash … without all the strain a bigger camera places on your wrist and forearm.

5) It's a keeper for me. Pluses far outweigh any minuses. Wasn't interested in the A7 as I already have two other 24 meg FF cameras … I wanted the bigger file of the A7R.

6) For me, the real irritation is that you cannot have live view in the viewfinder and instant review of the last shot on the LCD. You have to turn off the LCD review, and after a shot press the review button to see the last shot taken. Hate that! (BTW, the A99 is the same).

7) Likes: The file quality and higher ISO performance, ability to use many lenses I already have. No, not willing to part with my 35mm FF DSLRs yet … my A99 has IBIS, shoots to two cards, has a more artuclulated LCD screen, and is far more suited to flash photography … and for paying work is battle tested, where this camera is not (in time we'll see how it holds up).

8) Yes.

9) Don't know.

pophoto

Thank you Marc!

I'm interested to know how accurate AF is with using A mount lenses, I tend to have reservations about adapters both with concerns about responsiveness and IQ. I know telephotos are on it's way, but who knows the A-mounts are a good option while we wait!

4) is my concern, I love using flashes, sometime natural light just isn't enough, and almost always guarantee a good look (users experiences vary of course! ;p)

Also I only wish camera manufactures would make all flash no matter how small to rotate and allow for bounce! Radio control on my Canon flash is totally awesome!

6) I can see how that might be annoying! Sony should take note here!

7) Knowing that you use the Leica S, and to credit the A7r for file quality is saying a lot!
My initially viewing the Fun with thread didn't impress me, but now users are warming up to the camera, I am quite impressed.

I am still undecided because the Fuji XT1 looks really good (price too with a couple of lenses), I have owned the X100 in the past and a couple of other APS-C cameras, I have never got on well with them. FF make enough of a difference for me and is apparent. I hope the size and handling together with the 55 f/1.8 can be a winner.

fotografz

Thank you Marc!

I'm interested to know how accurate AF is with using A mount lenses, I tend to have reservations about adapters both with concerns about responsiveness and IQ. I know telephotos are on it's way, but who knows the A-mounts are a good option while we wait!

4) is my concern, I love using flashes, sometime natural light just isn't enough, and almost always guarantee a good look (users experiences vary of course! ;p)

Also I only wish camera manufactures would make all flash no matter how small to rotate and allow for bounce! Radio control on my Canon flash is totally awesome!

6) I can see how that might be annoying! Sony should take note here!

7) Knowing that you use the Leica S, and to credit the A7r for file quality is saying a lot!
My initially viewing the Fun with thread didn't impress me, but now users are warming up to the camera, I am quite impressed.

I am still undecided because the Fuji XT1 looks really good (price too with a couple of lenses), I have owned the X100 in the past and a couple of other APS-C cameras, I have never got on well with them. FF make enough of a difference for me and is apparent. I hope the size and handling together with the 55 f/1.8 can be a winner.
I found the AF success rate with the A mount lenses using the LAEA4 Sony adapter very high in terms of both speed and accuracy … which can be expected because it is a Sony product made specifically for this camera.

The caveat to that is that not all A mounts utilize SSM … and the screw drive ones are a bit slower and can hunt a bit more. I use the ZA24/2 with SSM a lot on this camera as it is relatively small and an excellent optic that stands up to 36 meg.

- Marc

pophoto

Thanks Marc! I heard the SSM motor use tends to drain the battery, and knowing the A7/R already suffer from shorter battery life, do you find this significant or not really?

jagsiva

2) I haven't figured out how to move the AF square around in the viewfinder the same easy way you can with a Canon, Nikon or Sony DSLR. Right now it takes multiple presses to get there. Probably can do it, but I haven't figured out how yet. Otherwise the interface could be simplified, but I don't use to many different settings so it's fine for now. I haven't delved into it enough to assign ISO to a separate button yet so I've had to bring up the on-screen menu for now.
This was bugging me for a long time, and I think I have figured it out although it does take one more button push.

Choose your "Focus Area" as flex spot. This is really the only one that allows you to move the focus spot anyway. Then assign "Focus Setting" to one of the Cn buttons. If you push the Cn button you assigned, it will give you the grid and you can use the control wheel/joystick thingy to select the point. You DON'T have to use the centre button to select, as soon you you move the point, it is active. You can also reset to centre by pushing "trash".

So pushing the Cn button is the only extra step compared to Nikon/Nikon. On the plus side, the area covered by the selectable focus point is far larger relative to the total frame.

BTW, you could also assign the "Focus Setting" to the centre button, so it is very close to the joystick and you would not have to fumble with buttons with your eye to the VF. I have my center button set for AF, so had to use C1.

Hope this helps...Cheers.

PS. I have no idea what they were thinking when they came up with "Focus Area", "Focus Settings" and "Focus Mode"

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I used my Cn 3 button for this. I hit the button and I just move my AF square around with the dial. I'll double check my settings for this and report in morning

fotografz

Thanks Marc! I heard the SSM motor use tends to drain the battery, and knowing the A7/R already suffer from shorter battery life, do you find this significant or not really?
Not really, but I'm not a machine gun type shooter … plus, as I mentioned, I shut off the LCD which probably saves battery power.

- Marc

pophoto

Thanks for all the input guys, all good to know!

I should ask one more question, like this custom AF button assign:
10) Please share any interface or user tips.

I think it was on the RX1, it was being able to make the the AF rectangle smaller, not sure if I have that confused with another camera like the EM-5!

Po

jagsiva

Thanks for all the input guys, all good to know!

I should ask one more question, like this custom AF button assign:
10) Please share any interface or user tips.

I think it was on the RX1, it was being able to make the the AF rectangle smaller, not sure if I have that confused with another camera like the EM-5!

Po
Yup, you can choose small/med/large for the focus point and move it around as well, pretty much around most of the frame

nostatic

I used smallest in the center and AF-recompose. That way I don't have to move the focus point around. Has its own issues but works for me most of the time.