The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fixing My Expensive Adapter

Ben Rubinstein

Sorry for the delay. Haven't had time to set up studio stuff for a while. Had to take some product shots and took the opportunity. Here goes.

The dent is quite noticeable at the top right (front) end of the adaptor. This is the camera side of the adaptor. What is less noticeable is that the dent protrudes upwards a tiny fraction at the back, at the top of the 'slope' of the dent. Bit more apparent in this next image.

My new adaptor arrives on Sunday but I don't want to throw this one in the garbage just yet, especially as it cost me $160 and I never got a single non problem shot out of it! Thank you Son and everyone else.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Speaking of adaptors, I have a single Cameraquest C/Y to Canon adaptor currently living on a Zeiss 21. I would like to move it to a Zeiss 28 to check this lens, but I can't figure out how to remove it! I've poked at likely spots, but I'm about to damage the thing if I push any harder. Does anyone have advice (or a picture) of where and in what direction to push?

Thanks,

Matt

Ben Rubinstein

I got the new olympus adaptor and now both sides of the lens are the same, no more problems. I'm not going to keep it though. It's good but I need a lens for commercial work and the corners are good but not perfect. I think I may have to *gulp* buy the Zeiss. Have to sell off a bunch of stuff to be able to afford it. I could get the Nikon 14-24mm which is as good but it's a big beast! It's either that or wait for the Sony Zeiss 16-35mm f4 E mount and hope it's good.

mbroomfield

Speaking of adaptors, I have a single Cameraquest C/Y to Canon adaptor currently living on a Zeiss 21. I would like to move it to a Zeiss 28 to check this lens, but I can't figure out how to remove it! I've poked at likely spots, but I'm about to damage the thing if I push any harder. Does anyone have advice (or a picture) of where and in what direction to push?

Thanks,

Matt
It depends on the adapter so I suggest you post a pic of it looking directly onto the back of the lens. Many of them have a thin spring that holds the adapter in place by engaging into a notch on the lens mount. You need to use your nail or a screwdriver to hold it open as you start to rotate.

If this isn't obvious post a pic.

Godfrey

Got the new adaptor, it was the adaptor all right, the lens is fine now.
Just saw this. Ugh, painful. But at least it wasn't the lens that was damaged.

These mount adapters are made of light metal and are very precisely machined. Dropping them, even if the dent looks small, can deform them and it's *very* difficult to restore them to the proper shape. The same thing happened to me with a very expensive B+W type 87C infrared filter. It dropped only a foot or so onto a hard surface, deformed the mount, and now I can neither take the filter element out or fit it to a lens. So goes another $100+ ...

I'll be interested to hear how that lens works out for you. I'm debating something like that or the Elmarit-R 19mm ... expensive things ...

G

MGrayson

It depends on the adapter so I suggest you post a pic of it looking directly onto the back of the lens. Many of them have a thin spring that holds the adapter in place by engaging into a notch on the lens mount. You need to use your nail or a screwdriver to hold it open as you start to rotate.

If this isn't obvious post a pic.
I'm guessing that it's the (now slightly mangled) bit at 3 o'clock. I was unable to budge it in any direction with finger nail or screwdriver. I hope I've been pressing on the wrong spot! It's not that teensy hex screw, is it?

Thanks,

Matt

mbroomfield

No, this one doesn't have the spring. If I remember correctly this type does use a very small set screw. I have one on a lens but not sure it's with me, in which case it's at home and I won't be able to check it until Friday evening. It may well be that screw. The spring, if it had one, would have engaged in that "shark fin" just above the screw

MGrayson

Mike,

It WAS the small set screw. After removing it, the adaptor came off easily.

Now for the really embarrassing part. When I tried to place it on my C/Y 28/2.8, it wouldn't fit. Because there was ALREADY a C/Y to EOS adaptor on that lens. Senility isn't pretty...

Now I can compare that lens on my trusty 1DsII vs the Pana 12-35 on the EM-5 and Leica 28/2 on the M9. I already know the answer, though. At any size I'd print, it won't matter. When has that stopped us? ;)

Thanks again,

Matt

Last edited:

Ben Rubinstein

Just saw this. Ugh, painful. But at least it wasn't the lens that was damaged.

These mount adapters are made of light metal and are very precisely machined. Dropping them, even if the dent looks small, can deform them and it's *very* difficult to restore them to the proper shape. The same thing happened to me with a very expensive B+W type 87C infrared filter. It dropped only a foot or so onto a hard surface, deformed the mount, and now I can neither take the filter element out or fit it to a lens. So goes another $100+ ...

I'll be interested to hear how that lens works out for you. I'm debating something like that or the Elmarit-R 19mm ... expensive things ...

G
I'm not keeping the lens in the end. It's good but I realise that I'm looking for perfect corners and it's not quite there. I need the lens for commercial work not artistic. Thinking of either the Zeiss, the nikon 14-24 or waiting for the sony wide angle for E mount and hoping it's good. It's a shame it cost me two adaptors to find this out but the other one is pretty much brand new, only mounted once. I'm hoping not to lose too much money selling the lens and adaptor.