The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fixing My Expensive Adapter

PSon

Just to let folks know that an expensive adapter does not always warranty you a perfect result. On the Voigtlander adapter, there is a light rubber gasket which protrudes into the light path too much and causing corner vignettings when shoot wide open. I removed the inner ring and repainted the inside of the adapter where the rubber ring was residing with matte paint to eliminate the problem. Thus, do not give up on your adapter whether it is expensive or cheap too quickly. There might be a solution to the problem you are experiencing.

Best Regards,
-Son

PSon

I like to dedicate this thread to the current adapters with problems and providing solution to to fix them. I would hate to see folks trashing or selling their adapter cheap assuming there is no fix to their problem. Furthermore, buying another expensive adapter after getting rid of their current one may not solve the problem and ending up with spending more on the same issue. When I get the time I will post images of the before and after fix to the adapter and the improvement to the image as well. I encourage other who found a way to fix their current bad adapter to post their solution here as well to help the community.

Last edited:

mark1958

I have two voigtlander adapters. I have a problem with both on my Leica 135mm 3.4. I posted an image in another thread. I get dark corners but not sure i would call it vignetting. It does not change with aperture. The other problem i just am noticing is that the voigtlander is giving me very poor edges on the LECIA MATE 28-35-50. In fact I thought it was just the fact that lens did not work well on the A7r. However I am getting much better images using a metabones. In contrast, the Leica WATE and 90mm 2.8 M work well with the voigtlander. One of my voigtlander adapters is the close up adapter and I like what it can do. I am not sure if there are any other close up adapters out there.

PSon

The Hawk close up adapter does present corner issues on most lens. However if you own this lens and have the older Leica Elmarit-M 90mm, you can use it without a problem. Also if you focus close up, the corner issue can be attenuated significantly. At infinity focus, the vignetting is a huge challenge to the lens itself and adding on top of that, the contributing corner blocking from the adapter. Thus, if you have macro and slow lens they will likely work better on these corner blocking adapters. If you like to dedicate each lens to its own adapter and rear cap, you can lessen the problem and be able to use the adapter.

mark1958

WEll both my voigt adapters.. the regular M to E and the close up (at the infinity--nonclose up setting) present the same issues. The 135mm has the same dark corner issue in close up mode but I have not done enough with the close up setting with any of the of the other lenses with the exception of a couple of quite shots to form a solid opinion. For the few shots i took with my other lens i was generally impressed with what the close up setting can do. HOpe to do more this weekend.

mbroomfield

Hi Son, were you referring the the new Hawk that came out recently for FF or one of the original versions released before the A7s? I have the new one, which also has an infinity lock, but no A7 to test it with yet (just using it on Nex).

Vulture

I bought an inexpensive adapter to try my Contax G lenses on the A7 before putting out the money for the Deo Tech auto focus adapter. It is a Kiwi Fotos, basically a Kipon copy. It actually seems well made and focusing works well with the 28mm and 35mm lenses, some glitches with the 45mm and essentially not at all with the 90mm. The major problem though is that it won't focus to infinity as it is too thick (over 12mm when it should be 11mm). Postage is too expensive to mail back, has anyone found a cheaper way to send items back to Hong Kong from the US or tried to fix an adapter that is too thick?

Viramati

I have to say I feel for you guys as I got a secondhand seemingly unnamed (probabaly a KIWI) adaptor for £10 that works perfectly with all lenses. I suppose it is just a matter of luck

PSon

Hi Son, were you referring the the new Hawk that came out recently for FF or one of the original versions released before the A7s? I have the new one, which also has an infinity lock, but no A7 to test it with yet (just using it on Nex).
Hi Michael,
It is the older one.

mbroomfield

Hi Son, yes the older one will not cover. Like Metabones Hawk designed a new one for FF E mount. As I said I don't know how it performs yet (eg does it have some of the flare problems reported from some lenses using the FF Metabones EF-E adapter)

PSon

I also have the latest Metabones Canon EF-Sony E smart adapter III and I tried it with the only Canon EF lens, 17mm TS-E, and it seems soft in the corners. I have seen reports of fixing the flare but not smearing on FM. I will build adapter again to see if I can fix recent issues.

Dale Allyn

Fred (on FM) made a recent post saying that he seems to see field curvature easier on the A7r and thinks it's due to the extra resolution. This is of interest to me as I have the 17tse and it will get a lot of use when I buy the A7 or R
Resolution and field curvature - FM Forums
Tim (Tashley) brought this up in the Fun With A7/A7R thread, as he described focusing "deep" into the curvature, and threw in some "umbrella science" and such.

Ben Rubinstein

Well I had my brand new, literally out of the box brand new and never used Olympus OM 21mm f3.5 MC lens delivered a couple of days ago. I had bought a very expensive Novoflex adaptor to go with it. I hadn't yet taken a single frame when the lens with adaptor attached rolls off the table and hits the stone floor. There is a tiny dent in the adaptor where it meets the camera. I thought it was indented and therefore wouldn't be a problem to the fit but I did some testing with the camera and lens today and indeed the right side is slightly out. There is a slight, 1/10 of a mm protrusion at the edge of the tiny dent. I doubt it would be noticeable with a 50mm lens and could be filed back down easily by someone more talented than myself with the right tools however I just went online and spent another £99 on a new one. Sigh...

BTW if anyone wants a DIY project, I'll sell the old one for £50, half price. It really is a tiny dent, doubt I could even show it in a photo.

Dale Allyn

Ben, I'm sorry for your loss. It always sucks to drop gear, but brand new especially so. Hopefully the lens elements are still in proper alignment for you.

Ben Rubinstein

It's costing me £99 or a new adaptor just to be able to test that which sucks even worse! I wouldn't know where to send the lens for alignment if it is problematic, who services manual lenses out of production for over a decade with that level of perfection? I know there are people who do Leica lenses but...

Heck let's hope it's the adaptor. Makes the most sense as that is where it hit the floor and there is a visible dent.

PSon

Ben
Can you take a picture of the bent adapter so we can give you suggestion to fix it and be able to sell it to compensate your lost?

Best Wishes,
-Son

GDI

Son - I was suspicious of my Voigtlander adapter too. So I tried to remove the little plastic collar, but it looks like you have to take the actual adapter apart or cut the collar in two. I started to take the adapter apart but the screws are very soft and tight so I started stripping the heads and gave up.

How did you remove it?

Thanks,
Gary