Ok I'm starting the what can be improved with the Sony A7/R?
Let me preface the thread by saying "Yes! I like the camera a lot but there is room for improvements." Also this is a place I can quickly list out my ideas.
Sure the camera is not for everyone, neither is a Farrari
Anyways, here goes:
1) Yes I do HDR photography (I won't explain anything as to why ;p)
Anyways they have it set to drive mode and you have to select from a list of brackets apart and some have 3 exposure, some five, none are consistent and there is no personal edit mode for this. Worst thing in my opinion, the timer is also set to the drive mode, so you can only have timer or the continuous exposure bracketing mode as an example. holding your finger on the shutter is never a good idea for HDR shots!
2) Pre-AF (Settings Tab 3) is default to on. Hey it's a taste thing, but keep focusing on nearest object to your focus area drains the already lowsy battery life. Auto anything should be set to OFF!
3)There is auto-ISO, and that's a good thing, and you can set the upper and lower limits, another good thing. However, the camera likes to choose 1/60 shutter speed, I don't know if this is set to the lens you have on, but I'd like user defined settings. I know peeps would offer using Manual mode, and that's exactly where I have live a lot of the time, however, not ALL of the time. Having it on Aperture Priority just gets things done right!
4) The rear AF/MF and AEL switch is great! However, I wish it could be a little larger or more and over protruding, just so my thumb can feel it a little better to AF! (For those who use it)
5) The Sony HVLF20M is Sony's most compact TTL flash. It's actually not bad, I had the AM version which needed an adapter shoe for the RX1 and A7 cameras. However, that's not my gripe!
My problem with the Flash is actually how it is designed to turn on/off and how it is used to bounce. For landscape orientation of the camera, this is mostly okay, but what about it Portrait orientation? I would for the flash to be swivel horizontally about the camera and not just vertically to turn on!
Strobist know what I am talking about here! Sometime you don't need the most powerful flash in the room, just a compact small flash to fit the nice size and weight of the Sony A7/R.
6) This is a question really, can I assign the playback of photos to other buttons or wheels to zoom in and to zoom out? It's a little awkward where the current buttons are placed, hopefully to a wheel would be nice! A touch of the button to get it centered and another touch to go all in, something like that!
7) I just want to say the camera meets or exceeded a lot of my initial expectations, in fact I was put of the idea of just another mirrorless camera, a FF mirrorless makes a huge difference. I'm talking IQ here, and despite knowing it's not everything, I care about the results
8) For a possible A9/R I hope they can address some of these user issues, I really hope they can make a silent shutter, currently the 5D Mark III is awesome in that department where they have it. Sure the Fuji's can be completely silent, and so I heard!
9) I know a lot of you, bought the camera to use Leica or other manual focusing lenses, and I think that's great, I've sold them all! So I'll let others add to the MF department as to Zebras and peaking and zoom focusing.
So go ahead and list your thoughts and ideas!