The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Stitching with the A7R...

jagsiva

A7R, 55FE, Hand held in Portrait orientation, 5 frames pano stitched.

IQ180, SK60XL, tripod, LCC, CF etc. etc. 4 frames flat-stitched in Portrait orientation, shifted about 30mm left and 30mm right.

jagsiva

Bill, agree completely. I was going to post some crops but did not want to get a heated debate started without both cameras on a tripod, but will do that as soon as I get some time and it is not -20C.

So far, the 55FE is pretty close to the 60XL in resolution, but we have to keep in mind that the 55FE is being pano stitched while the 60XL is using almost all of its 120mm IC.

There are subtle details in the snow that are more visible on the A7R that are not as obvious on the IQ180. I noticed something similar when I was looking at some A7R vs. D800E images I had taken as well. I always considered the IQ180 and D800E pretty close in DR, and it could as well be that the A7R is a little better.

Biggest difference of course is in the handling. The IQ/Tech setup took me about 20 mins. The A7R was an afterthought as I was leaving out the car window, hand held :) This is not accounting for one-shot cable firing issues, hanging on to an LCC card when you cannot feel your fingers, framing, focussing, post-processing, all of which require a much higher degree of involvement. But, all of this could also be a plus as it is often for me in terms of the process of getting to the final output.

In all fairness, this particular scene probably evens the field a little for the sony. Will do a few other shots shortly that could favour the bitingly sharp tech lenses and CCD sense combo.

I have no doubt that if I had my IQ/Tech kit with me, and had the time, I will shoot it 10/10 times over anything else when it comes to landscapes. However, I just wanted to try this to see how much I would loose out if/when I bother lugging it along and just had the little Sony. So far, I think I will be happy to trade the difference for the convenience when the primary purpose of the trip is not photography.

jagsiva

Any tips for handheld shooting for stitching?
1. Manual exposure (I prefer SS at 1/125 and play with aperture and ISO based on my DoF requirements vs. lens/ISO performance). Manual WB
2. Manual focus, if Auto, move AF to something other than Shutter Release
3. Once I know how I want to frame the shot, I don't take my eye off the VF. I just frame, shoot, move the camera for next frame, shoot and so on. This way, I have a pretty good idea of coverage and I am not off vertical/horizontal alignment by too much. The electronic level in the EVF of the Sony is very useful for this.

.....or you can use the Panorama feature in the Sony, but it only does JPG :)