The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wireless Auto Import

scho

Sony finally updated this app for both the A7 and A7R and OS 10.9. You can now wirelessly import raw images directly to your computer from any SD card in your camera. Works great and no more need to constantly yank SD cards in and out for transfer of images via a card reader.

Wireless Auto Import

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Carl, I am sure there is a very simple secret to getting this to function, but for some reason my computer doesn't see the USB connected camera when I get to that part. Of course, it sure does see the camera when I start the setup, so there must be a bug in the install, unless I am missing something?

scho

Carl, I am sure there is a very simple secret to getting this to function, but for some reason my computer doesn't see the USB connected camera when I get to that part. Of course, it sure does see the camera when I start the setup, so there must be a bug in the install, unless I am missing something?
Not sure Chuck. Version 1.2? Did you do the Set procedure before making the USB connection to the camera?

scho

Like to know how fast it takes to get to computer
My raw files from the A7R transfer at a rate of about 10 sec each. A lot faster than my Eye-Fi card which takes almost 10 minutes per file. I set up a watched folder for auto import in LR. Jpeg transfer is of course much faster.

Ben Rubinstein

OK just checked with my A7r. 14 seconds to import raw file once it's connected which takes a while. Still a lot slower than the 2-3 second import using usb 3 from a card. You can't have it auto export via wifi to computer while shooting which is a shame as it would be very useful, wireless tethering.

Godfrey

Hmm. Testing with the A7 (not A7r):

- The only way I can get a wireless auto import going while shooting with the A7 is to use the Playmemories Mobile app on my iPad. It only transfers/saves a 1080x1610 pixel JPEG far as I can see, no raw. I can't get the camera to connect to the OS X version of Playmemories ... it won't connect through my wireless network and doesn't seem to give me any other options.

- The RemoteCameraControl app on OS X seems to only work with USB connected camera and seems a total pain to use. I gave up messing with it. Wast of time.

- An Eye-Fi card configured to transfer through my home wireless moves full-fez JPEG+raw from the camera to computer, and into Lightroom, in about 30-40 seconds. I can keep shooting while it's doing its thing, but that slows it down some. JPEGs alone move in 5-8 seconds. I haven't walked through the settings yet to figure out how to do the direct to iPad thing, maybe today.

Aside: I received my el-cheapo three-button IR remote. Works great. :)

G

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
For my needs I'll stick with usb3 tethered. 4 seconds for preview is acceptable with clients looking on.

Annna T

For my needs I'll stick with usb3 tethered. 4 seconds for preview is acceptable with clients looking on.
I thought that the A7/A7r were only featuring an USB2 port ? Of course USB3 is retro compatible with USB2 so you can hook it to an USB3 port on your laptop, but the transferring rate will remain that of USB2. To my knowledge no camera is using USB3 port yet. Of course with files of 36MB it would be nice to have.

Ben Rubinstein

The D800 has a usb3 connection. Very useful for tethered shooting in our studio. The A7/r is USB2 however, no doubt due to the compressed raws, the tranfer rate is still very fast.