The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7 and A7r owners. Are we having fun yet.

nostatic

...and I'm selling my M240 - and my E-M1 and 12-40 and Panny 100-300 will go as soon as I have ascertained that a downresed A7R/24-70 does better than an E-M1/12-40.

Keeping my RX1 and RX100 and IQ180...

So now I will be a nearly all Sony guy. Who'd a thunk it, really?

Now if the British weather would now just let me outside for a while!
In the past few months I sold my EM5, tried an EM1 and didn't get on with it, tried GX7 and didn't get on with it, sold my GM1, sold Panaleica 25/1.4, Oly 45/1.8, Oly 12-50 kit zoom, Panny 14/2.8, Oly 75/1.8 (only one I kinda regret selling), Panny 35-100/2.8, Canon EF 50/1.4 and 135/f2, and S110. My wife still has her 6D with 24-105/4 and 16-35/2.8 but it rarely comes out of the drawer.

Now, it is RX100ii, RX1r, A7 (probably about to be swapped for an A7r), FE 35/2.8 and 55/1.8. I've not been much of a Sony guy previously. I tried to like the a77 but just didn't. I had an RX100 but didn't bond with it. The A7 changed everything. In fact I'm eying the RX100ii thinking, "hmm, that go towards keeping the A7 I have and instead of swapping just adding an A7r."

Evil…..this place is evil I tell ya…

oh, and the new a6000 actually might be interesting, since the FE lenses will mount on it. Damn those engineers...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The a6000 looks interesting. For me it could take the Sony A7 place. All I need in that body for runway stuff is 20-24mpx. Fast AF and continuous at that and be able to bolt on a 70-200 ZA or FE and or a Minolta 200 2.8 high speed. Hmmmmmmmmmm
And since it takes the FE lenses well thats a huge plus.

fotografz

The a6000 looks interesting. For me it could take the Sony A7 place. All I need in that body for runway stuff is 20-24mpx. Fast AF and continuous at that and be able to bolt on a 70-200 ZA or FE and or a Minolta 200 2.8 high speed. Hmmmmmmmmmm
My thoughts exactly Guy. A fast AF back-up to the "Big Gun" A7R :D … for those occasions when needed.

$650 rather than $1,500 looks good also :rolleyes:

- Marc

Guy Mancuso

Im sitting here thinking you know how dangerous that can be. My guess is we use our Sony 4 adapter for it. If I get the ZA 24 that gives me 3 ZA lenses already and than the FE glass should work. Okay whats the downside.

If I sold my A7 I can get the ZA 24 that I planned but I can order the FE 24-70 that I have not ordered yet. Spare change and get a second adapter.

Stefan Steib

The A7r IS a game changer. It is (nearly) everything a modern camera needs to be. The finder has reached a level that makes you forget about optical finders. The image quality with the right lenses is _A JOY_ !
Even better it follows the short flange theory and allows real focal lenght lenses or retrofocus, whatever you like.
Pick the raisins, celebrate your tastes, be historical, clinical, technical, soft, contrasty or "bokehish". Whatever you like.

Some criticism though: the battery is too small.
the out of the box experience takes a bit usability upgrade. actually for grown ups you need the grip. And finally - honestly: the shutter button would be so much more versatile and stylish with a classic thread for a cable release.

PLEASE SONY !!!!! :)

Godfrey

you guys are hopeless ... :ROTFL:

:chug:
omg... see another pretty face, run off in another direction..

i'd rather get to know the equipment I have now and produce a book or two with it before I do this dance again.

G

jonoslack

My thoughts exactly Guy. A fast AF back-up to the "Big Gun" A7R :D … for those occasions when needed.

$650 rather than $1,500 looks good also :rolleyes:

- Marc
If you need the fast AF, then okay, but it isn't FF, and it has a lesser EVF - sounds like a bad idea to me (at least as a substitute for the A7)

Guy Mancuso

It maybe Jono. Not changing any cam right now as I'm pretty happy with the 7's right now. Lenses I'm almost done . Just raising cash to hit a few buy buttons.

fotografz

If you need the fast AF, then okay, but it isn't FF, and it has a lesser EVF - sounds like a bad idea to me (at least as a substitute for the A7)
You may be right Jono.

As I understood the launch video on the A6000, the EVF is "effectively" the same resolution as the A7 … not sure what voodoo math is being used there, something about it being a smaller area? :wtf: :confused:

Actually, I haven't been bugged by the AF of the A7R … so I'll wait and let the initial "gimme one" urge go away … that's been a pretty effective antidote to a lot of stuff lately.

I'll tell you, if you don't like something about a Sony camera … wait a month for the next one :banghead:

All I know is I have a dinky camera to travel with that's pretty darned good … and I didn't have to bust into principle to buy it either. :thumbup::

- Marc

To be honest, the AF was something I considered before the purchase. The conclusion I came to was that it was anyway faster than anything else I currently have and that it for sure won't be Canon/Nikon etc DSLR fast. With that, I disregarded the whole thing and after purchase I haven't given it a second thought. It is what it is, complaining about it or making comparisons to other systems won't help.. the purchase is done and now it's time to live with the consequences :)

I can't say I'd have missed a shot due to the AF. But then again I'm merely a hobbyist and I don't shoot anything that fast moving. If I did shoot sports etc, I'd most likely had chosen something else. I don't think the AF performance could have come as a surprise to anyone doing even the slightest research before the purchase.

//Juha