The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony FE 70-200 f4

jpaulmoore

Trying to decide on this new lens or the tried and true Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS. Guess we will have to see how the Sony looks.
J. Paul

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm probably going to buy the High Speed Minolta 200mm 2.8 APO instead of this zoom. This lens won't touch my ZA 85,135 or the Minolta 200.

But I'm a lens pig but you all know that. LOL

Long zooms don't do much for me though. Mid zooms I do have a need

tashley

Subscriber Member
I like long zooms, they are often better than good enough and there's something quite relaxing about knowing that your edges will always be sharp (which they generally are). I also find them perpetually and surprisingly useful for landscape.

Don Libby

There's a weight difference between the Canon an Sony plus there's no need for an additional adaptor thus keeping the weight down even more. This should work fine in Jackson Hole. At lease this is what I'm telling myself.....

Luvwine

I have preordered the Sony 70-200/4. Canon 70-200/2.8 is over 3 lbs. The Canon 70-200/4 will have poorer autofocus on the Sony body with the metabones adapter and be longer, especially with the adapter, and not have any image quality advantage from what I can tell looking at the MTFs. Sure, primes like the Leica 135/3.4 and obviously Zeiss 135, et al. will be better in the corners, but the convenience of the zoom for travel has me sold (as well as the convenience of OSS over the primes).

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I'm probably going to buy the High Speed Minolta 200mm 2.8 APO instead of this zoom. This lens won't touch my ZA 85,135 or the Minolta 200.

But I'm a lens pig but you all know that. LOL

Long zooms don't do much for me though. Mid zooms I do have a need
Guy, are you getting the High speed Minolta 200 APO? I still have yours but I am not sending it back to you! It's really a fantastic lens with decent AF speed (with my A900/A99).

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
You GOT IT. I was wandering who i sold that too. Damn Im raiding your house. LOL

Yes i will eventually get one again. That lens is killer good.

petetsai

I would have found this lens perfect for runway last week. 70-200 at f4 would have been idea as I'm shooting f4-5.6 mostly. Instead I used the 70-200G f2.8 with LAEA4 that worked fine albeit with a great deal more weight. I really wish they would sell nano and non-nano coated lenses as the cost of that coating I believe that drives up the costs which in some cases I'd prefer an option ie on my super high dollar lens sure, but on a less ultimate high end lens I'd rather have a better price point. I have the same issue with the latest Nikon releases.

nostatic

The Canon 70-200L f4 IS is one of my favorite lenses ever. Brutally sharp and nice colors. This looks to be a bit heavier and a hair larger. It was useful for candids, portraits, and some sports (did some car racing with it).

iiiNelson

I'm keeping my eye out on this as it would allow me to save some weight in my bag and sell me 70-200/2.8 A-mount (my last A-mount lens.) The A-mount version is great but ifI can do a native lens without adapters while exceeding or coming close in performance then it's a win/win for me.