The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon mount to Sony adapter

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm looking a Zeiss lens in a Canon mount so I don't need aperture control or anything like that. Basically a dumb adapter. I have not pulled the trigger yet but want to make sure a great adapter is available. Any suggestions

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Bob. Canon mount is out than. Not spending that kind of money on a metabones III . Actually it would cost me more.

I'm just torn on a Zeiss 25 f2 or the ZA Sony 24 F2. It's also a cost issue by about 300 more for the Zeiss

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
You know I just bought the 25 ZF.2 ... agonized about the price until I looked at my first day shooting with the A7r....for me it comes close to beating the ZF 21 2.8. Actually I prefer it a bit more and it seems wider than 25. I am very glad I went for it.

I kind of feel that AF is pretty much unnecessary on this wide of a lens...hyperfocal distance covers the typical small hurry up get the picture focusing errors.

Beautiful lens and has a wider market for resale should you wish to make the same mistake twice...:ROTFL:

Honestly, cannot tell you the times I wish I had kept so many different lenses.

Bob

docmoore

Here are a couple that I showed from the 25....

Sony ICLE-7R Zeiss ZF.2 25 F2

The second picture was cropped about 5% to eliminate a distracting element ... it was sharp to the edges....

Thanks,

Bob

Guy Mancuso

Bob I love this lens and kicked myself very hard when I sold it. I see one for a decent price that I will try and snag today. The cost is holding me back a little. But if I don't get it now than its a long wait. I need the 24-70 zoom also but I can grin and bear it for a bit on that one. I can cheat a little here and throw the 25 into crop mode and get a 36mm out of it if I have too for a little while. If I can't pull it off than there is a ZA 24mm for 1k I can snag too. I'm just getting mixed reviews on it and the 25 came out later than the ZA as I know they improved it. My 35 is on eBay and let's hope it goes for a lot. 6 hours left.

VINCET

Guy, for the ultra wide, I am very happy with my WATE on the A7. I think it also work well with the A7r. More money than the Zeiss 25mm ZF.2 but if you consider the price of the 21mm ZF.2, the 15mm Zf.2, it is not too bad, plus it is smaller and much lighter.

Guy Mancuso

I thought about it but I found nothing cheaper than 5 k and I'm extremely happy with my Leica 19 r which I don't want to sell. Leica 21-35 R zoom is a option but again expensive.

Guy Mancuso

Leica 21-35 is about 3400.00 . Heck I would trade my Leica 19mm straight across for that. I could even add money to it. No one would do that though

docmoore

Bob I love this lens and kicked myself very hard when I sold it. I see one for a decent price that I will try and snag today. The cost is holding me back a little. But if I don't get it now than its a long wait. I need the 24-70 zoom also but I can grin and bear it for a bit on that one. I can cheat a little here and throw the 25 into crop mode and get a 36mm out of it if I have too for a little while. If I can't pull it off than there is a ZA 24mm for 1k I can snag too. I'm just getting mixed reviews on it and the 25 came out later than the ZA as I know they improved it. My 35 is on eBay and let's hope it goes for a lot. 6 hours left.
I assume that for a short time the crop of the 24 is a great solution...whichever 24/25 you end up with ... and if you step in a couple of feet your 55 1.8 would be hard to tell from the 70...just better if you have the room to move in. 36 MP allows a moderate crop without a big loss of paper size.

Looking at the prices you listed the 24/25 seem to be bargains for the quality delivered.

Bob

Guy Mancuso

Just need to check on camera if crop works on manual glass. I'm sure it would its camera dependent. I'll try for the 25 first no doubt

Guy Mancuso

Okay update and this is the Photog Gods looking down on me. After more thought about the FE setup. There is a real upside here. I get Exif data and I get aperture control in camera. Than If I could use AF on a Canon lens not that I am buying one but more important and is this I can RENT the 17/24TSE glass when the need arises. Thats a big plus since Nikons don't work.

Okay I went to the mailbox and low and behold Calumet gave me a credit increase on my account. Well dang i just had to take advantage of that so I bought a new one. Game over Zeiss 25mm F2 on its way. And I found a used Metabones III used at B&H and thats on its way. Someone was looking out for me