The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using a medium format lens on the Sony A7r

Don Libby

I just began testing last night. Here's an image using a Mamiya 120mm macro lens 1/60 ISO 200 handheld. More coming...

Don Libby

I figured everyone needs a little sun in their life.

The light is just too harsh right now to do much testing. Sony A7r Phase One 80mm 2.8 lens. Shot 1/60 ISO 50. No post processing.

Don Libby

The adaptor is a FOTODIX Pro NEX adaptor F/Mamiya 645. I got it from B&H for $69.95

I'm in the process of writing a blog series on the various lens.

Here it is connected to the Phase One 80mm.

The one possible negative I have with the adaptor is that after installing a QR plate to the bottom I found I couldn't easily attached it to the camera as it rubbed on the RRS bracket. The work around is to install it first then place the plate on it if I were using a tripod or monopod. Its a workaround for sure just slows me down...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Its funny because I have a similar issue with the Sony 4 adapter /RRS L plate and my flip lock Arca clamp. The distance between the adapter and RRS L bracket is very small. I can't put on tripod by dropping it in the Arca flip lock. I have to slide it on from the side. Not a big deal and actually it makes it safer as it won't fall out unless I slide it off.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Don, how do you control the aperture? Does the adapter have enough electronic contacts to allow stop down metering?

So far all the legacy lenses I've used on the a7r have aperture control rings on the lens. Phase/Mamiya lenses are controlled from the camera.

???

Bill

Don Libby

Sadly Bill there is no aperture control. What I've learned is by using both the shutter speed and ISO I can get a really deceit image.

I've got a couple test files from the 80mm this evening but want to wait until the skies get better (typical flat blue with no clouds) so may have to hold off for a day or two.

On a different note, I tried the Schneider 55LS and it seems to work very well.

I've got a couple more days here in Tucson before I head to Carmel next week with a couple days that look promising and will continue the testing. I've planed a stop over at Valley of Fire on my return to Tucson so I'll be getting more trigger time there.

I plan on posting results from all my lenses so with the 120 taken care of and the 80 shortly, I then do the 55 before going to the 150 and finishing off with the 240 along with using the 2x on the 240 as I really want to see what the camera looks like with that much lens on front - sort of a large lens cap I suppose.

I'll be adding more results both here and on my blog as we progress.

Don

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Thanks Don. I presume then that you're shooting at full aperture. That would be great for my Mam 150 as it's best aperture is f2.8.

I'll look fwd to your findings while I'm ordering my adapter!

Cheers.

gurtch

Thanks for your test results. Gave me the impetus to look into an adapter to use my Pentax 645 manual focus lenses, all with aperture rings, on my A7R. Many of these lenses are redundant to 35 mm format lenses I have, but the Pentax 645 120mm macro is a stellar lens compared to all formats I have.
Regards
Dave in NJ

D&A

Thanks for your test results. Gave me the impetus to look into an adapter to use my Pentax 645 manual focus lenses, all with aperture rings, on my A7R. Many of these lenses are redundant to 35 mm format lenses I have, but the Pentax 645 120mm macro is a stellar lens compared to all formats I have.
Regards
Dave in NJ
Dave, Although the Pentax 120mm 645 macro is superb, trying out some of the other Pentax medium format lenses isn't redundant in my opinion. When I tried various 645 focal length lenses on the D800e, I was surprised at their level of performance even over many of the excellent similar focal Nikon 35mm format lenses. I attributed some of the look and notable imagery to the fact that the D800e was using the sweet spot of many of these 645 format lenses. Of course it's on a lens by lens (case by case) basis.

What's so convenient about most all of the Pentax legacy 645 lenses as you noted, is that they all have aperture rings, so you have a choice of selecting shooting aperture.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Don, I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something alluring about the first image in this thread that you posted...simply lovely. I can image a good sized framed print or wall mural as simply being a lovely addition to a room.

Dave (D&A)

k-hawinkler

Don, how do you control the aperture? Does the adapter have enough electronic contacts to allow stop down metering?

So far all the legacy lenses I've used on the a7r have aperture control rings on the lens. Phase/Mamiya lenses are controlled from the camera.

???

Bill

One can use the light meter in the camera, counting f-stops.
Works like a charm.

Stefan Steib

The A7 and 7r are the perfect cameras to adapt all kind of lenses. Now with the short flange focal distance you can do even more crazy things. It opens a world of best lenses for a really good sensor. Pure fun !
I am right now working on a solution with 28mm shift 24 degrees of tilt and TS image angles starting at 14mm.

More to come

Greetings from Germany
Stefan