The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r at 2014 Fashion Week NYC

petetsai

Decided to try and shoot all Sony for Fashion week, leaving my Nikon d800e at home for this trip..

Had the A7r + grip, along with the 70-200g + LA-EA4 and 55mm f1.8 FE for these shots although I did have the 35mm f2.8 and 24-70mm f4 FE on hand as well during the week.

Laurel Dewitt at Fashion Week 2014 by PeteTsai, on Flickr

The full set of images can be seen here..

Fashion Week 2014 - Laurel Dewitt at LaunchNYC - a set on Flickr

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I used the same setup for a runway gig myself. Worked out very nicely but next time I am not shooting jpegs again. Ill just have to process 15k images, I used the A7 mostly but did use the A7r as well.

Images look good . Nice work

jfirneno

Pete:

Very nice results. What was your impression of using the A7R for this shoot? What was the light level like? What ISO was needed? Was the autofocus competent?

Regards,
John

I'm in a good company.. you guys make these new Sony's really sing. Very nice images from the fashion week. I reckon it's the combination of "right on the money" exposure and really good post processing that make most of the difference. Composition naturally, but just looking at the colors, how clean & crisp the images are etc..

But hey, you're the pros, so if it would look like my shooting I'd be changing forums! LOL

//Juha

S

Shelby Lewis

This begins to answer some of my questions about careful use of the A7R for wedding/music work... kudos on the good work (you too, Guy)!

Roughly... what was the keeper rate WRT autofocus?

Thanks!
Shelby

Guy Mancuso

But knowing what I know now with some other focus functions I might have done better. Not sure if face recognition would have worked better it AF area on a different setting I used a medium size AF box. My real issue was jpegs as I'm a touch noisy. I shot front page images at ISO 1250 but in crop mode with the zoom.

petetsai

Thanks everyone!

The lighting was good enough for 1/500th f4 to 5.6 at ISO800 to 1000. I was shooting that after having caught a red eye early in the day so I was pretty exhausted and was just getting used to the camera and the lens combo.

With the LA-EA4 the AF was competent, the hardest thing for me was adjusting to the shutter latency in terms of timing shots.

Before this show I shot another runway with the LA-EA3 and 70-200 and that was not good. The LA-EA3 is not usable as I think it has a compatibility issue with the A7r. It was painfully slow, like 5-10 seconds to lock focus on a static subject.

The venue was lit like most fashion runways and for the presentations I used the 24-70 F4 Zeiss which AF'd just fine.

Overall was I as fast as if I had shot my d800e, no it wasn't. But, it was useable and I believe with new 70-200 f4 I could have handled everything I needed with over 1/2 the weight shed. Meaning I could be more mobile and not have leave gear hanging around during the show as it would all fit comfortably on me.

I really liked the LA-EA4 for af response, it felt like shooting an a99, which it should. The shutter latency is the hardest thing for me to deal with, which is surprising because I shoot a large variance of bodys/makes/models and usually within a few shots I can adjust. I had to very consciously time actuations to get their feet in the right place.

My keeper rate was fairly high however I was using this as a test session so I was varying focus modes quite a bit which would reduce hit rate as I adjusted.

The grip is a must have for me, the camera would have been too small to shoot verticals for so long and in addition the time waiting then shooting the shows would bring a battery close to exhaustion. With the grip I never gave it a second thought as I had 2 and it would transition over seamlessly for me. Even with the grip and 2 batteries the camera still feels far lighter then my d800e without a grip.

Guy Mancuso

Pretty much my experience as well, though I did shoot the A7 mainly which is a little quicker. I used a vertical grip as well and a monopod. Nice combo