The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help needed from 24-70 F4 OSS users

tashley

Subscriber Member
I know that not many people have these yet but I am trying to determine whether or not to send mine back to Sony and I need to work out whether this is a poor copy, or a copy which merely exhibits symptoms common to the design.

What I am seeing is, and particularly at wider apertures and a bit less at the long end, a tendency to be softer on the left. Moreover, and this is indicative of some asymmetrical element or group (which may just be a tendency of the design at some focal lengths) the left hand side makes objects appear smaller than on the right.

For example, if I stood well back form a low wall and shot it dead on, the wall would appear less tall on the left side than on the right.

So if anyone has the lens and an A7R (preferably) and can get it on a tripod and shoot a regular planar subject at 24mm at F4 5.6 and 8, preferably with careful manual focus, and see if they are seeing the same thing, I would be very grateful!

Thanks in advance!

Tim

Paul R

I know that not many people have these yet but I am trying to determine whether or not to send mine back to Sony and I need to work out whether this is a poor copy, or a copy which merely exhibits symptoms common to the design.

What I am seeing is, and particularly at wider apertures and a bit less at the long end, a tendency to be softer on the left. Moreover, and this is indicative of some asymmetrical element or group (which may just be a tendency of the design at some focal lengths) the left hand side makes objects appear smaller than on the right.

For example, if I stood well back form a low wall and shot it dead on, the wall would appear less tall on the left side than on the right.

So if anyone has the lens and an A7R (preferably) and can get it on a tripod and shoot a regular planar subject at 24mm at F4 5.6 and 8, preferably with careful manual focus, and see if they are seeing the same thing, I would be very grateful!

Thanks in advance!

Tim
I posted a thread on DPR that might help:

A7r: FE 24-70mm F4 Tests: Sony Alpha/NEX E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I added more information and pictures in posts further down, as well. Hope this helps! I have not noticed the issues you describe, but maybe I missed them?

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks Paul, I had read that before and it gave me useful pointers when I started my journey with this lens.

One thing though: you've had good zooms (14-24 and 70-200) and so have I - but mid range zooms are always disappointing. This one is no more so, and probably is better than any other I own...