The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

made a quasi switch :)

ryc

Well, I decided to unloa dmost of my nikon gear and go back to sony. I ended up keeping my F6, 135 zeiss, the otus and the 25 f2 zeiss. Picked up an A7 not the R, 55mm FE 1.8 and the 85mm 1.4 ZA along with the adapter. If all goes as planned I may wait to see what happens with an a99 replacement or justr pickup an a99. I was looking through my okld files taken with the 900 and 850 along with some zeiss glass and I was really impressed. I hope I am not making a mistake but it sounds promising. I was getting a little tired of the not so great nikon glass and manual focusing my zeiss. so Now I am looking forward to a new ZA collection.

Here is an old one from the 850 when I had it.

jfirneno

Well, I decided to unloa dmost of my nikon gear and go back to sony. I ended up keeping my F6, 135 zeiss, the otus and the 25 f2 zeiss. Picked up an A7 not the R, 55mm FE 1.8 and the 85mm 1.4 ZA along with the adapter. If all goes as planned I may wait to see what happens with an a99 replacement or justr pickup an a99. I was looking through my okld files taken with the 900 and 850 along with some zeiss glass and I was really impressed. I hope I am not making a mistake but it sounds promising. I was getting a little tired of the not so great nikon glass and manual focusing my zeiss. so Now I am looking forward to a new ZA collection.
JT:
Welcome back! I have an A850 and ZA glass. I was contemplating getting a D3S because of low light issues. Now with the A7R I'm gonna give Sony the chance to show me I don't need the D3S. I do hope the next generation of FE cameras (A8, A9?) finally have auto-focus that comes close to the DSLR AF. But I think I've reached a comfort zone with Sony.
Regards,
John

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
JT, I have been thinking about getting out of Nikon system to switch completely to Sony Alpha system but I still wasn't able to. I use Nikon system for sports and felt that Sony still couldn't match Nikon's AF performance. So I have been keeping both systems, although I have used Sony a lot more. I definitely like Sony's color more and it's files are easier to work with. I hope the next replacement of A99 will improve it's AF performance to compete with Nikon and Canon.

ryc

Well, I received the A7 tonight with tye adapter. Did a couple of shots with the Sony 35mm 1.4 G and the Otus. I am surprised how comfortable it feels for a small camera. The grip should com in later this week.

Thinking about geting the 50mm 1.4 ZA. Any thoughts on that lens? I hear great things about the 55 but with the 50, I could use on both A7 and A99.

Even decided to sell the Otus !!!!!!!

ryc

A99 is very nice. now i just need to figure out this face detect system. I thought it would track a face anywhere in the fram and focus it but I am nit getting that result :( The sony manuals suck!

A99 is very nice. now i just need to figure out this face detect system. I thought it would track a face anywhere in the fram and focus it but I am nit getting that result :( The sony manuals suck!
I am not sure about A99, but when I got my A7 I discovered the following (I will quote my text from another place) :

"...Face Detection frame (grey or white when face detected) allows a regular (using shutter button for example) focusing (white turning into green) when face is around/close to a current flexible spot ( [Focus Area] =
Flexible Spot ) AF point location within the frame (the Face Detection frame must touch/intersect with the displayed current AF spot frame to have a white color - once there is no touch the Face Detection frame will become grey... so you might need to either move Flexible Spot AF point within the frame closer to the face or reframe to bring the face closer to that AF point) OR you need to use [Focus Area] = Wide | Zone instead of [Focus Area] =
Flexible Spot... HOWEVER it is still possible to focus using "Eye AF" button even if the Face Detection frame is grey (it will find an eye and turn a grey frame into a green one) !

Eye AF = Focuses on a person’s eyes when you press the button, even [Smile/Face Detect.] = OFF... When the camera focuses on the eye(s) and [Smile/Face Detect.] is set to [On], a face detection frame (big green frame) is displayed around the face after Eye AF frame is displayed (small green frame) around the eye(s). When [Smile/Face Detect.] is set to [Off], a detection frame (small green frame) is displayed on the eye(s) for a certain time (it disappeares then)... Press the shutter button while still pressing the Eye AF key...."

sorry for a long text and possible typos

PS: also if you are using WB = UniWB then Sony's (A7) AF will _NOT_ work under a certain daylight illumination (Blue channel saturation is close to Green channel saturation in raw, Red channel is behind) to detect faces... unlike my m43 cameras Sony (A7, not sure about other cameras) apparently uses also color to distinguish faces, while m43 cameras don't... so if you want to shoot some green/blue aliens with face detection bring another camera brand.

ryc

thanks for reply. I also just ordered a book on the a99 which is supposed to cover all the focusing info.