The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wow! Is that thing ever loud!

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I used she-who-must-be-obeyed as my independent minded noise tester. She is not a photographer and has no horse in this race.

I exposed her (sorry) to the shutters of the a99, Phase DF and the a7r.

She shrugged and said they're all noisy and so what?

So there you have it. There is no issue.

Bill

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Guy is from New Jersey.
When he wants an opinion he will give it to you.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I used she-who-must-be-obeyed as my independent minded noise tester. She is not a photographer and has no horse in this race.

I exposed her (sorry) to the shutters of the a99, Phase DF and the a7r.

She shrugged and said they're all noisy and so what?

So there you have it. There is no issue.

Bill

There you go , good enough for me.

D&A

I honestly don't think generalities can be made about specific cameras and whether their shutters are too noisy or not. There are too many factors with regards to both the shooting circumstances and venues. Even different types of concerts or performances can vary greatly in their program as to whether the sound of a shutter would be intrusive or not and the venue itself and the prevail conditions with regards to both the participants and audience varies. I suspect this could be the case in somewhat smaller gatherings and events. Sometimes a typical DSLR shutter like the Nikon D3s won't pose a problem and sometimes it will. It all depends.

All one can do is decide if the loudness/sound of a particular shutter is problematic or not in a given situation and if it is, then an alternative body is used during that period of time. What's good for one shooter and their endeavors may be inappropriate for another.

Dave (D&A)

Guy Mancuso

Dave your too logical and totally agree with you and wish the planet thought exactly as you. Problem is let's debate it for 180 days figure out a solution for another 180 days when the answer is simple buy it or not, no one is twisting anyone's arm here. If it don't work move on to something that will. This is not rocket science.

I'm sorry as I write this i am getting short fussed lately on these mindless reviews , debates and so on lately. It's no one on this forum but reading elsewhere on many things photo is starting to get really sickening to me. So pardon me if I sound a little tilted

Need. ROAD trip. Lol

Godfrey

I dunno. The A7/A7r is not louder than my Nikon F (or FM). Yeah, a Leica M is quieter, and a leaf shutter/non-reflex/fixed lens camera much quieter still. So there are places where the A7 isn't really the best camera to use.

But I did people and event photography with the aforementioned Nikon F and FM for years, even with a motor drive. There are certainly some situations where their noise is objectionable -- that quiet theater performance, the piano concert, etc -- but by and large being unobtrusive has much more to do with how you comport yourself vs how much noise the camera makes IMO.

G

J

JohnW

When I had my A7, I was at a small dinner party trying to do some discrete candids of friends. At one point the conversation lagged just as I pressed the shutter. Everyone simultaneously burst out laughing at my attempt to be sly. Yes, it's quieter than an SLR, but that's no yardstick for a mirrorless camera. I realize it doesn't matter for some applications, but if you need a quiet camera, this is not it.

John

ZoranC

While I wish every camera was perfect and can do every single thing we want from it, including washing my car, we live in real world in which nothing is perfect so I don't understand why people feel the need to make such a noise (pun intended) about A7(R) not being perfect in everything. What's a big deal? Before A7(R) came out to market it wasn't crossing my mind to complain that shutter on my D700 was making it too loud for taking shots at symphony concert, I just wouldn't take it with me. You pick the tool that is right for task at hand, sometimes it's one, sometimes it's other, and you keep moving on.

ZoranC

Actually, while the ALPA itself will not wash your car, if you buy one, Swiss gnomes will come to your house to do the job.
Hmmmm... will they wash the dishes too? Cut the grass? Walk the dog? ... If not then Wow! Is that thing ever <insert something to pick on here>!

lambert

Hmmmm... will they wash the dishes too? Cut the grass? Walk the dog? ... If not then Wow! Is that thing ever <insert something to pick on here>!
I put a lot of this "mountain out of mole-hill" nit picking down to Tall Poppy Syndrome. The A7/R are so incredibly impressive for so little money, relative to their peers.

Even the most expensive cameras are fraught with limitations. Take the Leica M. Even though it has an EVF, you're still limited to focussing (and recomposing) using a single, central focus point. The EVF is awful (low res, laggy) and can cause the camera to lock-up. The shutter may be quieter but it tops out at 1/4000. Leica tried to fit a 1/8000 in the first generation M8, but they were self destructing and subsequent models were downgraded to a 1/4000 shutter.

Anyway, I just keep seeing so many incredible images coming from these new Sony's, which say far more about these cameras than posts that nit pick.

Guy Mancuso

Agreed just look at some of those images members posted. Those alone got me interested in the first place. I'm really enjoying it and I have not said that in a long time about any camera. I liked my tech cam in recent years. This thing is fun warts and all.

ZoranC

I put a lot of this "mountain out of mole-hill" nit picking down to Tall Poppy Syndrome. The A7/R are so incredibly impressive for so little money, relative to their peers.

Even the most expensive cameras are fraught with limitations. Take the Leica M. Even though it has an EVF, you're still limited to focussing (and recomposing) using a single, central focus point. The EVF is awful (low res, laggy) and can cause the camera to lock-up. The shutter may be quieter but it tops out at 1/4000. Leica tried to fit a 1/8000 in the first generation M8, but they were self destructing and subsequent models were downgraded to a 1/4000 shutter.

Anyway, I just keep seeing so many incredible images coming from these new Sony's, which say far more about these cameras than posts that nit pick.
Exactly! Let's notice "flawed" cameras never stopped people from producing incredible works of art with them.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This in no way a new discussion. Back in the day, some even complained that the later OM cameras, the OM-3 and 4, were noisier than the OM-1. Many reviewers pointed out that the shutter of the Contax N1 was noisy. One added: "At least you get the model's attention." Then there are the countless discussions comparing the noise of classic Leica M cameras with that of Cosina/Voigtlander rangefinders. Sometimes, I was of the impression that the difference in sound was the sole important reason for forking out several thousand dollars extra for the German product.

retow

While I wish every camera was perfect and can do every single thing we want from it, including washing my car, we live in real world in which nothing is perfect so I don't understand why people feel the need to make such a noise (pun intended) about A7(R) not being perfect in everything. What's a big deal? Before A7(R) came out to market it wasn't crossing my mind to complain that shutter on my D700 was making it too loud for taking shots at symphony concert, I just wouldn't take it with me. You pick the tool that is right for task at hand, sometimes it's one, sometimes it's other, and you keep moving on.
Hear, hear. Such excuses of imperfection and tolerance towards it ought to be exclusively reserved for Solms products. Made in Japan has to be nothing but perfect. No matter the (pretty affordable) price. :lecture: