The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wow! Is that thing ever loud!

dave92029

When one is on watchout for "flaws" one is guaranteed to find thm. Better question though is what importance that "flaw" has, it is a size of an elephant or a fly. When OMD EM5 came out there was lots of outcries over buzzing sound people were hearing. Yup, you could hear it if you put camera close to your ear in very quiet room and look for it. However, many people, including myself, didn't hear that sound while engaged in real life shooting. I feel same way about "noise" from A7R's shutter, including that double click. When engaged in actual photography I am so focused on it / immersed in it that almost everything else gets shut out, I almost don't register shutter noise at all, that double click is not a bother at all to me either.
I have and enjoy my E-M5, and the 5 axis stabilization noise is not noticeable, BUT the A7 shutter sounds like I'm shooting several frames, when in reality I'm only shooting a single frame. It will not make me return my A7 camera, but it would be very nice if Sony could "fix" it!

ZoranC

I have and enjoy my E-M5, and the 5 axis stabilization noise is not noticeable, BUT the A7 shutter sounds like I'm shooting several frames, when in reality I'm only shooting a single frame. It will not make me return my A7 camera, but it would be very nice if Sony could "fix" it!
While many people are happy with their EM5 I personally would take quality of files from A7(R) over quietness of EM5 any time of the day (maybe because I don't shoot anything that requires absolute quietness). Personally I feel there is a number of things Sony should be fixing (like fact that it is 2014, camera is mirrorless, and yet Sony is offering only two aspect ratios) but sound of shutter wouldn't be a priority.

Godfrey

While many people are happy with their EM5 I personally would take quality of files from A7(R) over quietness of EM5 any time of the day (maybe because I don't shoot anything that requires absolute quietness). Personally I feel there is a number of things Sony should be fixing (like fact that it is 2014, camera is mirrorless, and yet Sony is offering only two aspect ratios) but sound of shutter wouldn't be a priority.
I have both E-M1 and A7. I find that the quality of the photos they make are very very comparable up to about ISO 6400 with respect to noise, dynamic range, detailing, etc. The A7 has more to work with higher than that, the E-M1 has more responsiveness and better automation features everywhere.

I just use the cameras differently. They complement each other well. For me, the A7 is my Leicaflex SL digital surrogate ... I only use Leica R and Nikkor SLR lenses on it as a rule, sometimes an M-mount or a pinhole, and it feels for all the world like my Nikon FE2 in use the way I have it set up. It's quieter than that camera was. The E-M1 is my fast camera ... I only use lenses that supply access to all the automation features, AF etc.

Both are worth having. :)

G

Michiel Schierbeek

I too have found some situations when even the A7 is so noisy as to cause disaster. Only the other day, I was photographing a family of famished bears that were being stalked by a Siberian tiger. All this took place in in the grounds of a small Russian Orthodox church where several monks were concluding their final day of a ten year vow of silence in an elaborate outdoor ceremony. I saw a great photo, fired the shutter and, well, I just don't want to talk about it any more.
Not a situation I walk into on a dayly basis to say the least. :D
Very rare, so I am not worryed :cool:

nostatic

Very rare, so I am not worryed :cool:
Tempting fate...

Remember, when being chased by famished bears, you don't need to run faster than the bear - just faster than whomever is with you.

And on another note, I believe Famished Bears is opening for The Russian Orthodox Monks at Isle of Wight Festival.

philip_pj

Too true, Lambert. Shooting a stack of street portraits the subjects here relax once they hear the a7r's manly shutter report. It reminds me of the Contax SLRs. I've yet to see a circumstance in which it caused me a problem. I'll forego even a mug of flat white every time I check out the images out of it.

ZoranC

I have both E-M1 and A7. I find that the quality of the photos they make are very very comparable up to about ISO 6400 with respect to noise, dynamic range, detailing, etc.
My comment was how I _personally_ feel about files that came out my EM5 vs. my A7R. I have no experience with EM1 files, and not enough experience with A7 files, so I am limiting my feelings to ones I have experience with. Files from EM5 were leaving me completely unsatisfied. I don't know what it was, whether it was me or camera, maybe down the road I can send you few RAW files if you are willing to give me pointers and tell me what I was doing wrong (if it was me), but that was the final result feelings wise. On the other hand files from A7R leave me very excited so far. I don't know what exact technical attributes I should be thankful to for that but that whole rendering, tonalities, look of skin, transitions of white and blacks, that whole je ne sais quoi about look similar to not being able to pinpoint technical attributes behind preferring look from CCD over CMOS, leaves me very happy at the moment. Last time I was this happy with files was from D700 and with A7R I am feeling that for the first time ever I am getting rendering I like in B&W film in package that is close enough to SLR in size. Plus I have a feeling I can push files from it much farther in post than I could with EM5 files.

I just use the cameras differently. They complement each other well. ... Both are worth having. :)
That is absolutely true. But when it comes to me, having more than one mirrorless system would be counterproductive at this point so I am focusing on just one and A7R is the one for me . That does not mean I am considering EM* not worth having. I am still keeping almost all of my m43 glass and might wait out a generation or two or give EM1 a try once Olympus starts throwing them on clearance as more than one person whose opinion I respect likes theirs.