The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pixel Paradise: A7R with 24-70, 28-70 and 55 F1.8 compared.

sflxn

These two are very similar, and the visual cues do not help. There are parts in the top image that looks sharper, for instance the windows in the building on the left edge. There are also parts in the bottom image that looks sharper than the top image, like the tiles on some of the rooftops. The third cue is the color temperature of the images. Having tested the 55 FE myself, I know it tends to produce a warmer image. Some parts of the bottom image looks warmer, but that could just be the sun peering through the clouds momentarily.

On first glance, I thought the top one was the FE 55, but after close inspection, I'm going to say the top is the 24-70 and bottom is FE 55.

The point is made. Stopped down, it's really hard to tell the difference between the two unless you're really peeping.

sflxn

After looking at the full size image, I am switching my guess back to the original guess. The top one is the FE 55. Just slightly better micro contrast and sharpness at "first glance" whenever I glance at any same spot on both images.

tashley

Subscriber Member
And the answer is...

The top image is the 24-70 f4 OSS with lens corrections but vignetting correction dialled back a touch. It has sharpening at 80/0.7/70/20 and clarity +12 and then a tiny crop to match the FOV of lens 2, which is the 55mm f1.8, with 60/0.7/70/20 and no lens corrections or clarity.

The zoom is pretty good...

The clue, by the way, is moire in one of the windows bottom, centre right...

hcubell

And the answer is...

The top image is the 24-70 f4 OSS with lens corrections but vignetting correction dialled back a touch. It has sharpening at 80/0.7/70/20 and clarity +12 and then a tiny crop to match the FOV of lens 2, which is the 55mm f1.8, with 60/0.7/70/20 and no lens corrections or clarity.

The zoom is pretty good...

The clue, by the way, is moire in one of the windows bottom, centre right...
Wow! I found the two images very difficult to tell apart on my (cheap) office monitor, but the top image from the zoom seems to have a bit better microcontrast. Perhaps the difference in sharpening settings?
Thanks, Tim. Now let's get back to hand wringing over the corners at 24mm. [G]

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Rotflmao. My clue was detail in your infinity area. Far buildings but I did miss your moire . Sneaky you are. Lol

tashley

Subscriber Member
But I mean really, if you were able to shoot at f8 the zoom is almost a better choice. It has it's faults but is now my go to as long as there's some light...

Guy Mancuso

My Z25 F2 just came with my Canon Metabones III adapter. I like having the Exif now and aperture control in camera. Now I can rent that 17TS of Canons

Nice Job Tim

Guy Mancuso

But I mean really, if you were able to shoot at f8 the zoom is almost a better choice. It has it's faults but is now my go to as ling as there's some light...
Agree just stay in the 28 area. I am a bit surprised to some degree the 70 setting. But I'll be getting one. I'll play with this Voightlander 40 for a bit and get the zoom next month.

I will say if folks are looking for a outstanding 24/25 focal length the Z 25mm F2 is maybe the best around. Check reviews on it but it's really good.

dave92029

What happened to comparing the Kit lens, 28-70 , to the 55, and 24-70.

This would have been even more interesting seeing how the kit lens compared.

Any opinions if it would be even close?

Thanks, I enjoyed the comparison.

Dave

jfirneno

But I mean really, if you were able to shoot at f8 the zoom is almost a better choice. It has it's faults but is now my go to as long as there's some light...
Tim:

Thanks very much for all the great review work you've done. It has been eye-opening to see how subtle the approach needs to be to fully appraise a zoom lens. But you know every good review ends with a conclusion section where you give the executive summary (conclusion for dummies, I call it) and finally attach a number score (and possibly an award named after one of the transition metals in the periodic table: gold, silver, tantalum, plutonium, etc). So my humble question to you is if you were going to use this as a walk around lens with the A7R how good would you say it is compared to 24 - 70 lenses you've used on other mounts? 4=great, 3=good, 2=fair, 1=tragicomic? Of course feel free to add as many other details and comments as you care to. This stuff is invaluable to someone looking to plunk down many hundreds of the hard-earned dinarii on a new lens.

Respectfully yours in GetDPI.com
John

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim:

Thanks very much for all the great review work you've done. It has been eye-opening to see how subtle the approach needs to be to fully appraise a zoom lens. But you know every good review ends with a conclusion section where you give the executive summary (conclusion for dummies, I call it) and finally attach a number score (and possibly an award named after one of the transition metals in the periodic table: gold, silver, tantalum, plutonium, etc). So my humble question to you is if you were going to use this as a walk around lens with the A7R how good would you say it is compared to 24 - 70 lenses you've used on other mounts? 4=great, 3=good, 2=fair, 1=tragicomic? Of course feel free to add as many other details and comments as you care to. This stuff is invaluable to someone looking to plunk down many hundreds of the hard-earned dinarii on a new lens.

Respectfully yours in GetDPI.com
John
Ah! The good old $64,000 question...

It is better than the Nikkor 24-120 but has a shorter range. It's better than the Canon 24-105, ditto. I can't say what it is like regarding the current Canon 24-70, which is supposed to be very good.

The key question for 36mp addicts is, is it better than the Nikkor 24-70 F2.8G?

IF one is happy to trade the F2.8 for F4 + OSS (I am) then I think it is: if you took the very best performance of the best focal length at the best aperture of the Nikon, then it would slightly, very slightly, surpass the Sony Zeiss. However, the Sony Zeiss is useable at all apertures, and I don't think the Nikkor is - it is parlous at the wide end. I posted this recently in another thread and it pretty much answers the question.

But in summary, for my needs I give it a 80% where 100% is what I would really like (something pretty much as good as a prime by F5.6 at every aperture) whereas I'd give the Nikkor about a 70%. The Nikkor weighs more, costs more, does less (at least in my use so far) but feels a bit more industrial in construction.

I won't be using the Nikkor unless I am in poor light (very grey days, dusk, indoors with poor light) because the Nikkor's trump card is more accurate low light focus - partly because it is phase detect and partly because it is F2.8 - but only as long as you are using the central 'cross hair' sensels on your D800/E. For reasonable to good light, especially with focus away from the central zone and especially if you have time to work methodically, the Sony Zeiss is a notably more useful lens for my needs.

Having said all of the above, I have sent mine back today because it is a bit soft on the left at wider FOV and the right at 70mm. This is not at all unusual in mid range zooms, my 24-70 Nikkor is not perfectly symmetrical and I went through several 24-120s before giving up. I hope I'll get a slightly tighter copy soon, but even if I don't, the comments above apply.

Final Score: 3.5 out of 4 given the constraints of designing these things and the quality of the competition. My knowledge of precious metals is limited so I'd give it a Golver, or a Sold.

Final word: at 50mm and F8 I can use a bit of PP to make it look near as damn it as good as the 55mm F1.8, the 'best AF lens DXO has ever tested'. Sure, that is the peak of the zoom's performance but I see its softer edges at other apertures as something I can work with positively and creatively. I wouldn't have chosen them but I will find ways of using them.

This was a crucial lens for my continued engagement for the system. If it hadn't been good enough I'd have given up.

I ain't giving up!