The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Apparent Viewfinder Size - A7

JMaher

My local store just received a A7 that I could look at. I only had a few minutes and found it to be much as described in this forum. Nice size and it felt good in the hand. However, my first impression was the the viewfinder felt somehow darker and smaller than I thought it would. The image quality was excellent with no issues but seemed not as large or maybe as bright as the viewfinder on my Canon 5DMKIII or my EM-1. I understand it's not optical but I expected a similar if not better viewing experience that the Olympus.

Maybe it was not setup correctly, in the menu system, or maybe I was just too rushed to give it a fair evaluation. However I would like to hear how others see this.

Jim

Knorp

Jim, there's nothing wrong with the A7/R's viewfinder, actually it's very good, so it's my guess it wasn't set properly for the circumstances.

Kind regards.

ecsh

I have no problems with it, rather like it myself. But i shoot with an A99 as well, and once i set up the camera, i like it. You have to spend some time with it, not a quick hold and go as they say.

Knorp

Just compared my A7R to the EM1: the latter is indeed a bit brighter and larger.
Still, pretty good anyway :)

Kind regards.

mazor

The A7 or A7r EVF. I think is the same EVF used in the NEX 6, NEX 7 and the FDA-EV1s. There has been little change in the design over time as the EVF design is already highly regarded and was revolutionary at the time of it's release.

Olympus E-M1 EVF has only just caught up to the resolution of the Sony EVFs but with added improvements in magnification and the way the EVF mimics an OVF. The E-M1 has ambient light sensors that regulate the brightness and color of the E-M1 EVF to try to match how you would see it in an OVF but with added brightness and clarity.

So while Sony's A7(r) featured the first full frame mirrorless compact interchangeable lens camera, Olympus E-M1 designed their new E-M1 to enhance the whole camera capture and handling experience as a whole.

JMaher

This is why I like this place. Fast and detailed answers in a few minutes.

I will go back and see if some adjustments make a significant difference. At the time I was there it was one of the first things I noticed. I know the the details will be better on the A7 or A7r but obviously the user interface is important as well.

Jim