The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7R + superwide for elevated/mastphotography

scho

Here are a couple of test shots taken with the Zeiss 18mm f/3.5 ZF.2 on the A7R. They are just close range shots in my kitchen, looking for corner/edge smearing or softness (didn't see any in these shots). Lens attached with a Novoflex adapter and mounted on a leveled tripod. I've had this lens about a month but haven't taken it out in the field yet.

Ben Rubinstein

Many many thanks Guy and Scho! Guy I'll have a look as soon as they're downloaded and report my thoughts. My wife will be along shortly after that to scalp you.

danlindberg

I've looked mostly on the 18 since that is of more interest for me. Overall it looks good but what puzzles me a little is that it seemes that corner quality depends a lot on distance of focus.
Image 2075 has impressive sharpness top left and is focused (guessing) at 3-5 metres ?
While image 2483 is focused at infinity and centre infinity is good but far left at infinity is not. In my view big difference.
Good to see vignetting is well controlled and no funny magenta edges!
Looks like a solid choice to an A7R :D Thank you very much Guy for doing this - appreciated and means I can make an informed decision. (Granted results are the same between D800E and A7r)

Ben Rubinstein

I just had a look. The Zeiss has significantly better corners as well as sharpness, contrast and colour. What becomes obvious is that DOF is still a problem with that wide lenses at 36 megapixels! F11 just isn't enough to carry the whole image. In the last of the 21mm images (2483) the trunks are not held by the DOF but the foliage just behind the trunk at the far bottom right corner which is just within the DOF seems sharp and hardly smeared. In 2075 the right far corner is pretty good. Ditto 2190. None of the 14mm lens images seem to hold up as well. I do see what Dan has mentioned though. Have to admit I'd hoped for better though from the Zeiss. Is the Zeiss 21mm better or the Nikon?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The 21 is the better lens and the price does reflect that. Has a mustache design distortion so you will need a good profile and its a bigger lens. It is the better lens of the two. Depends on need here. 18 is 18 if you know what I mean.

Ben Rubinstein

I know indeed! I wiondering at this point whether I'll just wait for the Sony version and hope or buy the 18mm hoping for a good resale price if the sony is good. What is the Sony Zeiss 16-35mm for regular sony like? I can't consider the Nikon, I need a polariser for my wide work and the flare would be a real issue out here.

Guy Mancuso

I look at the 14 as a more fun lens than a interior marvel. This is why some shoot tech cams. Its hard to get perfection in the super wides. The Nikon 14-24 is also good but big, heavy and mine had focus shift but it's not perfect either.

Guy Mancuso

What a lot of people may not know is the Z 25 F2 is the latest design and its killer good. But its a 25 mm . I just re bought this lens. I had it sold it like a idiot and just got a new one this week. But I consider this the best 24/25 around.

Guy Mancuso

I know indeed! I wiondering at this point whether I'll just wait for the Sony version and hope or buy the 18mm hoping for a good resale price if the sony is good. What is the Sony Zeiss 16-35mm for regular sony like? I can't consider the Nikon, I need a polariser for my wide work and the flare would be a real issue out here.
Never shot the Sony 16-35 and it maybe a good option. I here it's good but obviously it needs a good review from someone.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Whatever you do looking for wides, avoid the Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/15 for the A7R. Horrible distortion, dark, and looks like a Broadway performance of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, it has so many colors dancing across the frame.

I have a Canon 20mm FD on the way to test. It could be a sleeper for a wide, will have to wait and see once it gets here next week. I have tried several other FD lenses, so far all quite good, and dirt cheap. I will say it is a very strange and unusual feeling shopping for lenses that cost less than the camera bag or strap :D

Ben Rubinstein

Just did a retest with my Olympus 21mm f3.5. It's actually, given the pictures you provided, not bad at all in the corners. I think that being used to what 50mm lenses can do I had rather over high expectations. I'd say it matches what I've seen from your images taken with the Zeiss 18mm, albeit the centre isn't quite as good. However, while playing around in the house, it's just not wide enough. I think the Zeiss is probably the correct address for me. Unless I wait for the Sony.

Ben Rubinstein

Been having a look at the MTF numbers of those lenses on photozone. Interesting. My canon 16-35LII as I had already noticed, sucked. The Sony 16-35 is better, it's actually remarkeably consistent across the frame for a WA. The 18mm is very good but the drop from centre to corner is very sharp. Even so the corner is no slouch at all, just that the centre is very very good. The nikon 14-24 picks them all up and wipes the floor with them. Wow but the figures for that lens are mindblowing!

I have a Canon 20mm FD on the way to test. It could be a sleeper for a wide, will have to wait and see once it gets here next week. I have tried several other FD lenses, so far all quite good, and dirt cheap. I will say it is a very strange and unusual feeling shopping for lenses that cost less than the camera bag or strap :D
I recently picked up a mint 20mm FD for $150 and a 28mm FD for $30. Both are quite good on the A7R.

Speaking of Zeiss 18mms, anyone have experience with the older Contax-mount Distagon 18mm 4.0? (and how it might compare to the current 3.4)