The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica 21 and/or 24mm Summilux on A7r?

mdg137

Anyone tried either of these combinations first hand, or have links to information?

I'm not overly optimistic about the possibilities, but hope does spring eternal....

fotografz

Anyone tried either of these combinations first hand, or have links to information?

I'm not overly optimistic about the possibilities, but hope does spring eternal....
I have the M21/1.4 ASPH … initial use on the A7R looked very good to me, where my friend's Zeiss 21 did not (severe vignetting and multicolor shifts).

Sorry, I didn't keep any of those initial files, but can revisit it again as soon as it gets light out here.

The obvious advantage is that you do not need an aux viewfinder … the 21 is easy to focus with the mag, and what you see is what you get with the A7/A7R.

- Marc

biglouis

Marc

When I was purchasing my A7 I thought of getting the Zeiss 21/4.5 - the camera shop advised against it saying that it would vignette badly. I was also tempted by the Zeiss 21/2.8 and was told that would be fine. In the end I purchased the Voigtlander 21/1.8 as I always had a desire for the 21 Summilux but not the deep pockets! The CV 21/1.8 works fine.

However, I am still interested in the Zeiss 21/2.8 so I am concerned about the vignetting and colour shift you mention. Was your friends 21 the 2.8 or the 4.5?

Thanks

LouisB

fotografz

Marc

When I was purchasing my A7 I thought of getting the Zeiss 21/4.5 - the camera shop advised against it saying that it would vignette badly. I was also tempted by the Zeiss 21/2.8 and was told that would be fine. In the end I purchased the Voigtlander 21/1.8 as I always had a desire for the 21 Summilux but not the deep pockets! The CV 21/1.8 works fine.

However, I am still interested in the Zeiss 21/2.8 so I am concerned about the vignetting and colour shift you mention. Was your friends 21 the 2.8 or the 4.5?

Thanks

LouisB
Sorry Louis I don't remember which version it was and he took the SD card with him. :facesmack:

I think it was the 2.8.

Unfortunately, he's somewhere in China working right now, so I can't ask him.

- Marc

I think I've read elsewhere/other thread, that neither of the Zeiss 21's would be good with the A7r. So, if the 21/1.8 CV is working stick with it.

//Juha

jonoslack

Hi there
Being modern Leica designs (they have the same problems to deal with) I would imagine that both of these lenses would be okay (with the possible exception of corners wide open). Certainly worth giving them a try.
Marc would seem to be the man to prove the point!

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
I have the M21/1.4 ASPH … initial use on the A7R looked very good to me, where my friend's Zeiss 21 did not (severe vignetting and multicolor shifts).

Sorry, I didn't keep any of those initial files, but can revisit it again as soon as it gets light out here.

The obvious advantage is that you do not need an aux viewfinder … the 21 is easy to focus with the mag, and what you see is what you get with the A7/A7R.

- Marc
Marc, when you get the chance I would love to hear what the 21 'Lux looks like on the A7R. It is just such a stunning lens on the M. I fully expect it will be spectacular, but as always, someone seeing is believing with the A7R.

Speaking about Zeiss, I got to try the Distagon T* 2,8/15 on the A7R looking for a great wide solution. Bottom line, it is $4k worth of horrible trash on the A7R. Results were not even worth the time to try and clean it up, it was so bad.

Last edited:

turtle

I have the 24 Lux and it performs very nicely all things considered. V good indeed at f5.6 and to all intents and purposes it is perfect at f8. Sure, this is not what you buy such a lens for, but the 24 does at least produce great corner to corner performance at landscape apertures, should you need it.

biglouis

I think I've read elsewhere/other thread, that neither of the Zeiss 21's would be good with the A7r. So, if the 21/1.8 CV is working stick with it.

//Juha
Well to be fair I have had consistently good results from the CV 21/1.8, you can see the latest photo posted in the A7 fun thread here.

However, there is one drawback to the lens. The fixed petal hood means I cannot attach filters from the Lee System7 range which can be quite useful for landscape work. Instead I have to use the virtual graduated filters in LR5. I would prefer a 21 with a removable hood.

LouisB