The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best performing 24 or 25mm on A7R

BSEH

Any with experience on the Oly -Zuiko SHIFT 24mm f/3.5 - some says best ever 24 in the film days?

Michiel Schierbeek

Which 24mm retro-focus lenses work well on the A7R?
Sadly, the only old 24mm I have is a FD Canon 24mm f2.8 SSC.
Any chance this would work for now?

I truly appreciate any suggestions.

All the best,
Mike
Your FD lens will do fine on the A7r. I have the FD 24/2 and it is good.
No colour problems.
Probably not the best but it will work for now.
I like the Voigtländer Ultron 21/1.8, which is a bit sharper then the FD and very little distortion.

nikonf

Guy,

That is very kind of you!

Thank you so much,
Mike
Highly recommend renting it. Fair warning though you will buy it or the Sony ZA 24. I had a tough decision between the two but I had the 25 before and knew its worth. I did a test with it this morning. I will get up over the weekend.

Luvwine

Any with experience on the Oly -Zuiko SHIFT 24mm f/3.5 - some says best ever 24 in the film days?
I would avoid this lens personally. I had one (see pic below) and it was gorgeous, exceedingly well built, and, in my experience, not sharp at all on a 5D Mark II. I had the impression that it was not up to modern digital sensors, unfortunately. I preferred the Canon 24 T/S version I and that in turn is bettered by the 24 TS-II. The latter is the best shift lens at 24mm that I know of. I did like the Zeiss PC 35 2.8, however.

nikonf

Michiel,
Thank you very much for the confirmation.
I love your images.
All the best,
Mike
Your FD lens will do fine on the A7r. I have the FD 24/2 and it is good.
No colour problems.
Probably not the best but it will work for now.
I like the Voigtländer Ultron 21/1.8, which is a bit sharper then the FD and very little distortion.

BSEH

I would avoid this lens personally. I had one (see pic below) and it was gorgeous, exceedingly well built, and, in my experience, not sharp at all on a 5D Mark II. I had the impression that it was not up to modern digital sensors, unfortunately. I preferred the Canon 24 T/S version I and that in turn is bettered by the 24 TS-II. The latter is the best shift lens at 24mm that I know of. I did like the Zeiss PC 35 2.8, however.

thanks.. i will look in other direction...

Ben Rubinstein

Did we ever come to a conclusion on this one? Trying to work out this question for myself. My needs are simple, small, cheap, perfect corners, character and focuses the same direction as Nikon/Pentax. Shouldn't be too hard should it? :p Looking hard at the 25mm f2 ZF but wondering whether I should just be waiting for the Sony FE 16-35mm and hoping to heck that the corners are better than the 24-70mm.

iiiNelson

I was referring to the much less expensive Leica 24mm f3.8 Elmar-M ASPH.
Thank you,
Mike
I would stay away from the 24 Elmar on the A7r unless you want to correct every shot. It works perfectly fine on the A7 though. The Lightroom profile corrects the distortion as well. That being said I'm sure most SLR lenses will perform better than the 24 Elmar. If you have one already - great. If not I'd look at the Sony 24/2 and adapter if you need AF. If not then there are plenty of other options.

rjones

I'd vote, if size not an issue, for the EF 24 TSE II. This lens and the 17 TSE seem outstanding on my a7r.

I wonder if it is worth the extra cost over the 25mm f2 Zeiss? Or only if you want AF? It's sure ain't cheap.
You lost me. You can get the A-Mount Distagon for less than the 25mm.

I'm going to be selling mine for less than a grand. Factor in the adapter if you need it and you are in the same ballpark.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The Metabones is 400 and the Sony adapter 4 is 350.00 so not much savings there the Zeiss 25 is 1700.00 dollars I know just bought one new and I think the Zeiss Sony 24mm is around 1500 new but you can find them used. From what I was told the 25 has better corners. The 24 is of course AF . I had a hell of a time deciding between the two. Still am but I'm happy with the 25. I just used it a lot last week and it's a beauty.

Ben Rubinstein

Metabones? Why did you go for the Canon version Guy? The Novoflex adaptor for Nikon is considerably cheaper.

I would love to see a picture of the 25mm mounted on the Sony (trying to work out if I'm going to find it too big) and if you get a chance to show some raw files I'll love you even more than I do already. :)