The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Solution to avoid camera shake when shooting telephoto lenses with A7r

yatlee

I have been searching for a solution to shoot my Sony 70-300mm. It's very hard for me to get a pin sharp picture at range over 200mm until I borrowed this from a friend to try. Markins: Home of Markins Q-Balls >> VR10S

It does add a bit of weight (254g), but it's more than acceptable for me to ensure sharpness at all range. Highly recommended if you shoot over 200mm focal length often.

Yat Really Right Stuff makes a similar contraption except theirs has an adjustable height on the front lens support. The combined tolerances of 2 lens mount connections (considering adapter) and the high resolution of 36 mp is probably what's causing the need for extra support on medium telephoto lens to get critically sharp images. I am a little surprised it is needed for 300mm but I guess I shouldn't be. I know the L bracket on my Leica S2 in portrait orientation is not stable enough to provide consistent sharp images when using the 180mm even with self timer, MLU, remote release, and slowish shutter speeds (<125th sec).

hcubell

Thanks. How are you mounting your A7 to the device? By the tripod foot of the lens? It appears that you cannot use the device with an L plate.

yatlee

Hi Mark, I will check out RRS too. I saw the Markins when I visited a friend and took it home to try. ;-)

hcubell, with the 70-300mm Alpha lens, I use the RRS L plate on the LA-EA4 adaptor. I can do both horizontal and vertical fine.