The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica R, Zeiss Lens and M lens Mount choices.

mazor

A clever dodge around all the M-mount lens corner smearing occurred to me this morning. I love to shoot square format (old Rolleiflex/Hasselblad user).

So just crop what the A7 nets to a central square ... that's still a 16Mpixel image or 24Mpixel with the A7r. Aside from broad-based color shifting, all the corner problems will be gone. That opens up using a much larger range of M-mount lenses for me.

Woo hoo! Back to squares! :)

(I'm testing the M-Rokkor 40/2 on the A7 today. So far, I'm finding it a better fit ergonomically than the Nokton 40/1.4, and I think it will produce a sweeter photograph too.)

G
hmm, nice idea Godfrey, pity though having to crop off the sides off such an amazing sensor, and glass.

If one is going to crop, is it more advantageous using leica M on A7/r or maybe just use leica m on a Ricoh GXR A12?

Godfrey

hmm, nice idea Godfrey, pity though having to crop off the sides off such an amazing sensor, and glass.

If one is going to crop, is it more advantageous using leica M on A7/r or maybe just use leica m on a Ricoh GXR A12?
That depends on what format you are more interested in. Other factors come into play as well ... The A7/A7r have a far nicer viewfinder than the GXR, the GXR has a far smoother, quieter shutter. The A7 has a more responsive shutter release, the GXR has a cleaner UI and ergonomics.

One can toss the "which is better" question back and forth forever. :)

My initial gut feeling was to concentrate on the A7 for SLR lenses that lack a native-mount digital capture body. And I'm happy with this approach, will stick with it. What works from my M-mount lens kit is a bonus, I will simply sell the rest of it since the R lenses are comparable to better quality (to my eye).

Godfrey

On a lark, I fitted the Color-Skopar 21mm f/4 to the A7 yesterday. I set it to do B&W to JPEGs and capture raw files.

The B&W images look pretty good. Lots of corner darkening, but it's attractive looking for some images and can be dialed out. The raw images in color ... mostly awful. Color shifting all over the place. Best to snap a reference frame and use CornerFix. Contrast and sharpness are good, but not up to the standards set by the Elmarit-R 24mm, 19mm, or Nikkor 18mm.

The major plus of this lens on the A7 is its tiny size.

G