The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Final advice needed!

danlindberg

Ok folks!

The A7R is ordered and 'my' body is actually put aside on the shelf. Pickup on Friday.

I am scratching my head over lens choice and must press the button today but still not totally convinced.....

Quick summary why I buy the Sony in the first place - I need one lens for portrait and I need one lens for elevated photography in my real estate gigs. That's it. I'm using Alpa/Credo for everything else. (I want the R so I can be as close as possible in filesize in the elevated photography - had it been main focus on portraits I would probably chosen non-R)

I'm now very very close on ordering the Voigtländer closeup adapter Leica mount.
For elevated images: Voigtländer 21/1.8 Ultron
For portraits: Voigtländer 75/1.8 Heliar

I've always liked to have a set of lenses with the same character and further down the line I could pick up the wonderful Voigtländer 35/1.2 and be done with it with the Sony system!!

What do you think? Good thinking, or should I reconsider?

mazor

the voigtlander closeup adapter sounds very much like the Hawks leica m to NEX adapter. If it is, it's benefits is huge for rangefinder lens which tend not to be able to focus closeup.

fotografz

Not sure what "elevated" photography means?

I have the Voigtlander close-up adapter being delivered today along with the FE24-70/4 (already have the FE35/2.8 and FE55/1.8). I'll be using the adapter with Leica M lenses, and will share my impressions of it soon.

I assume you have researched the Voightlander 21/1.8 to be sure it delivers the edge sharpness and has no color shifts?

Also do not know how well the 35/1.2 does on this camera … may be worth investigating before locking in on all Voightlander optics for a consistent look.

Good luck,

- Marc

danlindberg

Marc, elevated = mast photography, around 7-9 metres up in the air. Its so I do not have to send up my Alpa/Credo in those delicate positions....

I have just learnt that there is no deliverydate with any Voigtländer products. They are having problems getting the products.
It does give me a breather and to not make a wrong decision!

I will start with the A7R and a Leica Summaron 35/2.8 to get the feel of the Sony and learn setting it up.

Annna T

Just in case you didn't see them already, this may interest you :
A review of the WATE and CV 21mm Ultron on the A7r with test pictures Ultra wide angle lenses on Sony A7s
He came to the conclusion that among smaller RF lenses, only two are good enough for the A7/7r and they are newer lenses made for digital bodies.

If I finally pull the trigger on an A7/7r, I would get the Ultron. The corners are not as good as with the WATE, but it cost much less. I won't put a lens as expensive as the WATE on a pole. To much money lost if something happens.

dchew

Dan,
Those sound like sensible lens choices given the uses and constraints you posted in the other threads. I too am looking hard at the voigt 21. Wish I had it already so I could report with direct experience; I think it is the best < $1500 option.

Dave

Michiel Schierbeek

The colour casting of the VC Ultron is so easy to correct in ACR that it is almost not worth to mention it anymore.
Cover the area on the left and right side with the graduation filter and move the colour slider till it's right and you can use it everytime.

BTW The lens has remarkeble little distortion for a 21 mm lens.

Csm7 by Michiel Schierbeek, on Flickr​

D

Deleted member 7792

Michiel, is this the M-mount Ultron? What does "VC" stand for? I've seen advertised a "VM" Ultron.

Joe

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I would still go with the Zeiss 18mm or Zeiss 21mm DSLR style lens. I would not want to be fixing this shading,color cast in post . Thats me though

Godfrey

I would still go with the Zeiss 18mm or Zeiss 21mm DSLR style lens. I would not want to be fixing this shading,color cast in post . Thats me though
I'm with Guy on this. I hate being required to do color corrections to get normal behavior.

For me, this focal length pairing would be handled by the Summicron-R 90/2 I have worked with already and the Elmarit-R 19/2.8 I ordered the other day. The prices I paid aren't much different from the Voigtländer lenses, and I feel the quality is better.

G

Ben Rubinstein

I'll add a me too to that. When you get back from a gig with loads of files you really don't want to have to be doing shading stuff when the client is waiting for the first jpgs before you even get your butt on the chair...

Michiel Schierbeek

I'll add a me too to that. When you get back from a gig with loads of files you really don't want to have to be doing shading stuff when the client is waiting for the first jpgs before you even get your butt on the chair...
Some impatient clients you got, Ben.
You could run all your files as a batch. It is the same for every file.
For me it is not a big deal, i never give anybody any jpg file anyway, those are only for the internet.

Another alternative is the Contax Zeiss Distagon 18/4.
Has no colour problems but as with most wides (except the Ultron)it needs some distortion correction especially when photographing architecture.

Some examples from today. (there is another in the Sony fun thread)

Rijksmuseum4 by Michiel Schierbeek, on Flickr

Rijksmuseum2 by Michiel Schierbeek, on Flickr

mdg137

I just doubled checked my 21mm Ultron f1.8 on my A7r for color shift--MFD, mid range and infinity, wide open against a white wall, LOTS of vignetting, almost zero color shift-- so little that I think a non-continuous tone image would make it imperceptible.

fotografz

Dan, just got the close up adapter … while it is a bit pricey, it's worth every penny.

Here's a shot with the Leica M21/1.4 ASPH … trust me, you cannot get anywhere near this close on a M camera.

- Marc

(click to enlarge)

mdg137

It is perceptible also in non-continious tone images. You can find an example of it in the Sony fun thread, the shopwindow with sportshoes.

Here is an example with sky. Left side uncorrected, right side
Thanks.
I wonder if sample variation conrtributes to this-- I haven't seen that degree of color shift on mine.