The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

which one manual focus lens for A7r ?

dchew

At the moment the system lacks a proper wide angle solution. With my A7 I purchased the FE 55/1.8 (no brainer) but also the CV 21/1.8 (manual) as I can't work without a decent wide angle. A highly recommended lens.

LouisB
Mine arrives today :)

I'm going out on a limb and pick a lens I don't have: Voigtlander 40mm Nokton. It just looks like so much fun!

Dave

philber

I don't have it, but I am tempted to answer: Leica Summicron 40. Very nice pics indeed, and a size/FL that fits the A7R very nciely IMHO.

benroy

Subscriber Member
I do have the Summicron 40 and highly recommend it...very sharp...focusing and adjusting aperture is a bit tough for guys with fat fingers, like me...but it's a great lens.

BTW: I use the A7...my apologies for butting in to an A7r thread...but this lens should provide stunning images on the "upper crust" A7r...and would be well worth your attention (provided you don't have fat, thick fingers.)

Roy Benson

Last edited:
benroy: it's open for both A7 and A7r alike. Though some differences exist with RF lenses, with others it's pretty much the same..

mdg137

hmm..but with a 19mm you'd only see the rescue boats when they run over your feet :)

So a 50mm makes sense again. It's what you'd see anyway! And you can always shoot nice brick walls.. oh wait, no brick walls there - so maybe some palm trees then!

Been thinking about the summilux-r 50 and it's two versions. They're expensive and even more expensive.. I could get a summicron-r E55 dirt cheap, but I'd probably end up thinking what I missed compared to summilux. With sluxes, the E55 is expensive but not out of hand. But I'd probably think what I missed by not getting the E60 instead, which costs a ton.

Maybe I just need to get this Leica stuff out of my head and try some other nice lenses for a change. Anybody try the 50/1.2 limited hexanon-m on the A7r ?

//Juha
I'm in the same position, since getting an A7r, I've added the W.A.T.E, 75mm summilux, 50mm Summilux ASPH, and a couple others.

I was just eyeing an f1 Noctilux, and put the brakes on. I think I will have more fun exploiting the availability of lenses from different platforms and different periods.

Instead of the Noctilux, I have a Canon FD 55mm f1.2 ASPH arriving tomorrow, at 1/5 the price of the noctilux .

I'm thinking of taking the easy way out and buying 3 lenses instead.. And it's all your fault! (goes for you too Guy) LOL

24/2.8 elmarit-r, 50 summicron-r and 90 elmarit-m (or hexanon-m). I could have three of these for about 1500usd, all in a good condition and with their own adapters. How's that for a cheap 24-50-90!

Put a bid in for the 50 cron already.. trying to negotiate free delivery still, cuz I'm a cheapskate too sometimes ;-)

//Juha

philip_pj

Might be best to choose a great character lens as the FE line are likely to be 'all business'. Having witnessed the FE55 remorselessly blow the Summicron-R 50/2 E55 off the mount forever by virtue of its versatility and powerhouse performance, I'll go with the CY Distagon 21mm, the one that if it fails to deliver it's always my fault. ;-)

Yeah, I'm not expecting it to beat or match the FE 55. It's rather a "remedy".. for the times when I go out for photos only. Take mf lens(es?) with me and slow down. Basically what I did with the M9 previously. Now with the A7r I'll in a way have a chance to get best of both. FE lenses for the business, as Philip said, and the mf stufffor purely feeling/character.

I'll try the mf with this cron first, before investing a larger pile of cash..

//Juha

darrellc

Agree with Philip here on considering a character lens if you're looking at 35 or 55 focal lengths... I have an A7 and FE 55, Cron-R 50/2 and Sonnar C 50/1.5. I never use the Cron-R as the FE 55 seems a better Cron-R. But I still use the Sonnar C as at f/1.5 to f/2 or f/2.8, it gives a much different feel to images than the FE 55 wide open.

Smoothjazz

A question for the group; I am looking for a longer lens for my A7r, but want to avoid a big heavy lens- so no Leica R lens. One person mentioned the Minolta Rokkor as a fine choice, and my search reveals that there is a fairly compact 200mm Rokkor that looks like a candidate. It doesn't hurt that used Rokkors are really cheap, compared to Leica or others.
Any thoughts for a light 180-200mm Tele lens?

pegelli

I always really like Olympus Zuiko glass. Sharp, light and great IQ.

In that range they had a 180/2.8, 200/4 and 200/5 that were all pretty good and can be found relative good 2nd hand prices.

They also had in later years a 180/2 and 250/2, but these are both big hunks of glass and quite heavy (but still excellent IQ)

gurtch

I bought on ebay a 200mm Minolta MC Tele Rokkor-PE f4.5 lens. If you are looking for small, light weight (albeit slow) this lens fills the bill (for a 200mm lens any way). I think I paid $19 for it. I have not tried it. I also have the tiny beautiful Minolta 40 mm f 2 lens. A nice combo.
Dave in Nj

Viramati

At the moment the system lacks a proper wide angle solution. With my A7 I purchased the FE 55/1.8 (no brainer) but also the CV 21/1.8 (manual) as I can't work without a decent wide angle. A highly recommended lens.

LouisB
Interesting about the CV 21/1.8 as I bought this last week while it works quite well on the A7 it is really pretty soft on the edges wide open but really shines on the Leica M at all apertures

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
The one lens to own them all?

Probably my old 35mm Summicron M Pre-ASPH. Wicked sharp, amazing micro-contrast, wonderful color and drawing signature, beautiful out of focus areas, and wide enough without being "too wide" for many things.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
A question for the group; I am looking for a longer lens for my A7r, but want to avoid a big heavy lens- so no Leica R lens. One person mentioned the Minolta Rokkor as a fine choice, and my search reveals that there is a fairly compact 200mm Rokkor that looks like a candidate. It doesn't hurt that used Rokkors are really cheap, compared to Leica or others.
Any thoughts for a light 180-200mm Tele lens?
You may want to investigate the old Canon FD glass too. Any of them that are "L" lenses (there are several) are quite remarkably good for the very low cost.

And you want long? The 100-300 f/5.6 L is a stunning lens. About $200. Even the regular f/5.6 non L is pretty dang good. $50. The 70-210 regular lens is also around $50. It will cost you almost as much for the adapters as it will the lenses. I even got a nice faux-leather case with my 70-210. I also like the push-pull zoom design. It works great for video! Shouldn't damage the A7R, but with the A7 I would want a tripod mounting collar for the 100-300 myself. Both of these are easily hand-held and have very pleasing character.

iiiNelson

If I had to choose ONE lens it would be a toss up between the ZM 50/1.5 C-Sonnar and the Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton II. If not for focus shift I would've bought the ZM50/1.5 over my 50 Lux ASPH FLE as I prefer the character of it despite the huge price difference. The 35 Nokton II is just an amazing lens that gives you character from wide open to f/2.5 and then "clinical sharpness" from f/2.8 on.