The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss disappointment (or bad sample)

I wanted to get a fast normal lens that I could use on my 800e and A7r. Being a fan of Zeiss lenses, I settled on the Zeiss 50mm 1.4 ZF2 and was happy to find one on eBay for a nice price (~$400).

Lens arrived in like new condition. Build quality is awesome. But as I ran through my usual test shots around the house, the results seemed very soft at wider apertures. (At least compared to how I assumed it would perform.) I happen to have an old Canon FD 50mm 1.4 sitting on the desk, so I decided to run a quick comparison series.

First shot is the Canon (a 35-year-old lens that I bought recently for $65)...

Second shot is the Zeiss. Both at 1.4.

Very interesting and disappointing (the Zeiss will be heading back whence it came.)

Ben Rubinstein

Something wrong with that lens, you shouldn't have that double imaging. Perhaps try another copy? In any case glad you had the opportunity to send it back.

pegelli

I hope you did more tests than one to rule out motion blur, but something is very wrong with that Zeiss sample you showed. My vintage Minolta AF 50/1.4 (which on all counts a worse lens than the CZ 50/1.4, especially at 1.4) is giving better results then this.

pegelli

Oh yes, several; all on tripod. It's very strange.
That's what I expected, would have been way too obvious :banghead:

Looks like some elements are either badly decentered or not mounted straight. Sending it back where it came from for a full refund is the only reasonable solution.

thomas

quality conteol and sample variation is a serious issue with Sony.
I've returned 1 FE 2.8/35mm and 2 FE 1.8/55mm lenses because they were decentered.
And herewith I am only talking about the last 6 weeks...

This seems to be about a Zeiss Nikon mount ZF2 version.
Don't think that has much to do with Sony QA ;)
It did make me wonder though...both are lenses with Zeiss logos on them, made by others. It doesn't speak well for Zeiss's enforcement of quality standards, if any.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Honestly the Z50 1.4 is there lowest rated lens wide open. It has a lot of lens aberrations wide open and it's pretty soft. You need to read the review on it but the 50 planar F2 rocks.

thomas

This seems to be about a Zeiss Nikon mount ZF2 version.
Don't think that has much to do with Sony QA ;)
correct! I didn't notice the post is about a ZF.2 lens. I thought it's about the Planar T* 1,4/50 ZA.
Please ignore my post...

Nevertheless ... I've tried several copies of lenses for my Contax 645 system. Essentially they were all the same. I've tried 3 copies of the 80mm lens, 3 copies of the 45mm lens, 2 copies of the 140mm ... well and only a single copy of the Apo Makro Planar 120mm, the Distagon 3.5/35mm, the Distagon 3.5/55mm lens and then Vario Sonnar 45-90mm lens... since my samples are simply great (and certainly in line with what is reported about these lenses). The sample variation of lenses for the Contax 645 sytem is pretty negligible from my point of view (from my experience respectively). The Zeiss ZM lenses I've tested and own are also in line with what is reported. The sample variation of Zeiss ZA lenses on the other hand is huge (I have used Minolta/Sony since Sony took over Minolta... so I started with a Sony A100...). In my experience some samples are truely phenomenal. Some are great. Some are "ok". Some are plain and simply weak.

tray271

hi i know with the sony a7r even if you have it on a solid tripod you will need a good shutter speed...what speed was the shot taken at

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Read the reviews ..its soft wide open and close up . Take a few photos at at over 10ft . This has been complained about forever on this lens by those expecting to use it as a portrait lens . Use it like a travel lens and you should see some strong contrast and color saturation …

You may very well have a bad copy or a damaged lens …so if its not working for you then send it back . But more likely the lens is just a poor fit for your requirements .