The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Image stabilization A99. WOW!

ryc

Just shooting around the office. 1/3 sec hand held with the 85mm 1.4. On board image stabilization just rocks! To think every lens is stabilized on the A99. Why wont Nikon or Canon do this?

Lonnie Utah

Having shot the A900 for years, I can say that Sony's in body stabilization does really well in the center of the frame, and less so as you move outwards towards the corners. In a shot like this, where the corners are out of focus anyway, it's almost the perfect scenario for the stabilization to achieve maximum results.

ryc

forget sharpness. do you see any shaking? that's what the IS does. look at the vertical grooves above the 3 and the edge of the horizontal angle on the lens. no movement. Focus is something else.

fotografz

1/3 second with an 85mm that close up @ f/2.2 is pushing it … but I agree, IBIS rocks on both the A900 and A99. Every data-bus lens you bolt on is stabilized … most importantly the fast primes most likely used in lower light needing slower shutter speeds … my 24/2, 50/1.4, 85/1.4, and the 135/1.8 all benefit greatly.

What is quite amazing is to mount the Sony 500 mirror on the camera and see a rock steady image in the viewfinder, (not to mention it is also an AF lens!)

The comment that the center is sharp but the sides aren't doesn't make any sense … either the sensor is stable or it isn't. I've never seen that, even in my hand held tests of flat targets.

- Marc

Malina DZ

1/3 sec hand held with the 85mm 1.4. On board image stabilization just rocks!
Welcome to the Sony IBIS club :) The result above at 1/3s is amazing.
a850/a900 models have a shake level indicator with 5 bars in VF that provides a better experience in stabilizing handheld shots. Unfortunately, a99 doesn't have it, just an icon indicating camera shake. Nonetheless, it does the job really well. Better than no stabilization at all.

Christmas Decorations 2013
135mm 1/3sec

Last edited: