The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7R Unable to magnify?

Viramati

had this happen a couple of times but only when I tried reviewing and magnifying immediately after taking a shot. I think it maybe something to do with the preview jpeg not getting written properly due to it being interrupted, as it is I don't use auto review anyway and don't often chimp while shooting

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Not sure how fast the Raws get written but a good guess is it takes about 2.5 seconds to get to a laptop wired tethered. So my guess would be maybe 1.5. But that's a guess but no doubt fast cards really help buffer, read and write speeds and downloading to computer as well.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I seem switch out cards out a lot once they hit the market with greater speeds. I'm a never fast enough type person

Ben Rubinstein

Suppose it depends at what write speed the camera maxes out as to whether it's worth it or not. Shame Rob Galbraith stopped with his site, for this among other reasons.

Godfrey

I occasionally get a "Not available in this mode" warning kind of haphazardly. Another press of whatever button I wanted to press just does the right thing immediately after. For that reason it sounds like a timing issue to me .. camera's busy doing something or other and a spurious error occurs, triggering the warning message.

I'm sure I've seen it in Magnify (Review) mode, amongst others. It never happens when I'm actually making exposures, only when I'm pressing buttons that imply I'm configuring or reviewing data.

G

ZoranC

Same here, Zoran. It comes and goes and I haven't found a possible cause yet.
Thank you for confirming it's not just me, now I feel little better :)

Is it exactly right after you take a shot with review on lets say 5 seconds because if that is the case it may not have written to the card yet.
It is at a later time. If you hit the preview button before image has been written you will get a warning that camera has not finished writing yet, this is when I hit zoom-in button once I am able to see the preview. This is not the case of timing at all as I can turn off the camera, turn it back on, come back to picture I was getting issue with and get same error all over again.

Sony watch out! Take care of your updating department if you have the time in between reorganising the company.
+1 Amen

Maybe it is something to do with the brand or type of memory card used?
Doubt it. I am using 16GB 95MB/s SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-I card that has word impeccably over last 2 years in number of cameras.

I also had this with an old slower card. It is definitely read write speed of the card !
Doubt it's the speed of the card. Card I am using is 95MB/s UHS-I. They don't get much faster than this.

had this happen a couple of times but only when I tried reviewing and magnifying immediately after taking a shot. I think it maybe something to do with the preview jpeg not getting written properly due to it being interrupted, as it is I don't use auto review anyway and don't often chimp while shooting
I have tried this theory today and it didn't hold. None of the shots today were "interrupted" yet I had issue reoccur.

I occasionally get a "Not available in this mode" warning kind of haphazardly. Another press of whatever button I wanted to press just does the right thing immediately after. For that reason it sounds like a timing issue to me .. camera's busy doing something or other and a spurious error occurs, triggering the warning message.
I get same error even after I turn on and off the camera.