The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How far we've come - it's all magic

Playing around with the lovely Zeiss 24-70mm zoom on the amazing a7R, I missed the exposure rather severely on this shot. But for kicks I thought I'd see what could be salvaged. Here's the unprocessed frame, and the same frame after just a bit of work in LR.

It was a stunning reminder (at least for me) of how far photo technology has come, since I started this journey with an Argus C3 and a Weston meter.

Last edited:

philip_pj

The thing that truly amazes about the a7r sensor is that it gives nothing up to the a7/RX1, in all metrics of performance, while adding greater realism, depth and detail courtesy of the 22% boost in resolution. You often feel like a kid opening presents at xmas time when seeing your files appear on screen.

Ben Rubinstein

Coming from a 5D3 I'm in heaven. I tested that for my own uses the canon had approx 5 stops of useable DR at iso's up to 400. I honestly thing that even that was generous. Measured and useable due to banding means that the camera has better figures than are actually useable. I was shooting at iso 400 with 10 frames averaged out to reduce the noise to get up to 7 stops of useable DR. This chip is from a different planet to that, has (IMO) far superior facial tones and colours and really nice 'grain'. I remember the days of shooting weddings with the original 1Ds. No iso useable over 640, underexpose even a stop and you got horrendous purple banding in the darks, etc, etc. We have indeed come very far.