The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7R with Sigma 35/1.4 A?

dwood

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I couldn't find anything via search. I'm currently shooting an A99. I was (may still be) going to audition some new glass for the A99 but I'm now considering jumping to the A7R. One of the lenses I had on my 'go rent this' list was the Sigma 35/1.4 Art series piece. Are any of you A7R users using this lens? Love it? Hate it? Have something better/comparable that you prefer in a 35?

tashley

Subscriber Member
I tried it, it's fine, but you have to stop down to get over the curvature. For wide open it is gorgeous. But for general use, the FE 35 F2.8 is more useful...

thomas

well, it tells almost all you need to know. DxO made the test with camera-corrections activated. While distortion and chromatic aberraton do not get corrected in the RAW files (only JPGEGs) the light falloff correction is applied to the RAW files. Therefore the actual light falloff is much higher than stated in the report (~1 stop more without camera corrections applied - see attachments at f2.8 and f8; left side shows the LCC captures with camera corrections activated).
So the edges can go quite noisy when corrected in post.

Tim, how did you like manual focusing with the Sigma 35?

horshack

I found the Sigma's MF ring to be a bit too stiff for comfortable use. It was stiff enough to put some torque on the mount.