The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phototrip....2 mirrorless cameras or 1dSLR

Thought it would sound better than calling it a purse! ;-)

And everybody here seriously don't want their camera bags to look like camera bags.. hmm..I dare someone to get a pink purse! :LOL:

//Juha

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hey I drive my wife's Powder blue VW convertible. I mean powder blue too. I just laugh at the looks I get. Lol

Hey I drive my wife's Powder blue VW convertible. I mean powder blue too. I just laugh at the looks I get. Lol
That doesn't count! Blue is the new green.. VW is all about Blumotion and Blu-this-and-that these days, same as everybody else in the car industry.

Now, if that'd be VW Eco! or Up it'd be a different thing.. those are cute, little pocket size thingies with engines the size of a yoghurt cup. Or a Toyota Prius :wtf:

But just for the laughs, I dare you to show a pic..

:worthless:

//Juha

Mark K

One of the reasons I raised my question is...about using A7r to shoot telephotos. The fast focusing adapter is undoutedly LeA4 with a Sony alpha mount 70-200 f2.8 OS. Well the focus does not seem lighting fast but the shutter sounds..are huge. I heard the combined LEA4 mirror clash and A7r shutter flap. The Camera clocks at 1.6fps which is not too great comparing to 5d3's 6fps.
A6000 looks a great tele backup thought I remain very doubtful about its AF speed. I believe A7 I used to have shares the same AF mechanism. Tell me I am wrong
About the tele, I can carry 135 or 200 prime...both are razor sharp..

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
You need a bumper sticker that says:

"Its OK Im a Photographer and my Workflow is
Profiled ... all bout the Art...."

Was 18F here yesterday morning...would love to be in a VW Convertible
in Arizona...regardless of the color.

Bob

losta

I'm heading to India this week on a 2 week photo workshop with a7r, 24-70 and 55 plus Fuji X-T1 14, 56 and 55-200. I'm leaving the Nikon D800 and Trinity at home.

fotografz

… I heard the combined LEA4 mirror clash and A7r shutter flap …

… I believe A7 I used to have shares the same AF mechanism. Tell me I am wrong
The guys are pulling your chain Mark.:rolleyes:

The mirror in the LAEA4 adapter is translucent and doesn't move … the Adapter uses the SLT technology found in the A99 and adds dual AF capability to the A7R. BTW, screw drive AF A mount lenses aren't as fast as the lenses equipped with SSM.

Marc

nostatic

I would get something that takes your Sony A7r glass be it a A7 or even the new A6000. You could even leave the backup in your hotel room and the most you would lose is maybe one day of shooting. Just bring your iPhone everywhere which 99 percent of us do anyway. I like to travel with most of my gear but I will leave stuff in my room to keep it light when out and about shooting unless I'm on a gig than everything goes since i am being paid. LOL
Having the same mount and batteries is a huge win imho. Last trip to AL I took the A7r and RX1r - was a good combo, though I only took the 55/1.8 with the A7r. They use different batteries, but it was one time that I actually like the in-camera charging capability as I didn't take a standalone charger at all, instead just plugging the camera into my laptop at the end of the day to top the battery off.

The a6000 is starting to look like my next contender in the backup/second cam derby. If the IQ is reasonably good, it could replace the RX1r as then I'd have identical mounts and batteries.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
So far the A6000 looks better than the RX10 for backup. Just have to wait and see what it does. The issue for me the 70-200FE I'll need for AF to get the points where I want them. Than the A7 is more viable for me. Right now it sits in the bag as a backup. The A6000 may serve that need better.

Godfrey

I'd bring a camera I was already very familiar with, that I'd been shooting and testing a lot, and was comfortable carrying.

- If that's the A7r for you, bring two chargers and lots of batteries.

- For me, a small kit of three lenses (and I use almost exclusively primes with the A7) works best. Which ones depends on what I'm after and what size bag I'm willing to carry, but the Think Tank Photo "Mirrorless Move 30i" man purse seems to have enough room for two A7 bodies plus up to three Leica R lenses, plus room for a bunch of storage cards, batteries, and tripod mounting (if I felt I was going to carry my tripod).

- At most, I'd stuff a Nikon SB-30 flash unit + RF trigger in a side pocket for that very occasional moment when a little bounce or fill light is important. I almost never use flash other than for table top product shooting.

Now which three lenses is always a matter of some debate and last minute decision making. The 35-50-135 or 24-50-90 setups work well. A widely spaced 24-50-135 works well too. Longer than 135mm requires a bigger bag, sometimes including an ultra wide in the 20mm or lower range is just the thing too. But I almost always want a normal (35 to 50mm) along with something a bit wider and a bit longer... it's really just a question of how much wider or longer I'm in the mood for. I've gone whole trips with just a 50 or 35 mm lens being used.

Basic rule for me: the less I carry, the more photography I do. :)

Since going mirrorless, I've been able to bring a film camera with me as back up. Both cameras use the same lenses so I'm not carrying two systems.

Mark K

Based on what you have in 'inventory', I'd probably take:

A7r with 24-70f4 and 50f1.8 and the Nikon-mount 14mm with an adapter to use it on the A7r

Nex6/5r with 70-200 lens for longer shots

and multiple batteries!
Mark K, can you do that today? Please? You will be the man if you can do it for us. Thank you sir.:salute::D
...I have time....only a few days later. At hand I have a bunch of Nex bodies....Nex5/5n/5r and 6...and it seems ....A6000 is faster than A7 as well