The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Excellent review of the Zeiss 24-70 f4

Barry Haines

That makes it sound like a very good lens indeed. Given the price it's far cheaper too. Still noodling this but I'm heavy leaning towards it than just get the 28-70 kit for the PR stuff. My kit lens was pretty good when I had it. The 24-70 is nice don't get me wrong , I just hate zooms. Lol
Guy...The new E mount (capable) zoom just posted on SAR might be one zoom you might fancy though (other than the price that is.... $23,900.00 ).
New Zeiss Compact Zoom CZ.2 15-30mm T/2.9 lens.
Perhaps we can all club together and ask Tim to test it :)
Sounds like it might be the perfect partner with our 55/1.8's
Cheers Barry

Edit: As long as I can keep it after he has tested it and everybody doesn't want their money back!

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Too late Tim already remortgaged the home its on its way. LOL

Im joking of course.

Okay Im off topic so someone can put me in time out for 24 hours. LOL

But after some serious noodling and 5 cocktails last night I realized when I sold my Nikons the one lens I regretted giving up was my Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art lens. I loved that lens too and it had a great look wide open and a laser beam as well stopped down. So I just shipped the zoom back to Amazon and once I get my credit Ill order the Sigma again. I know big , heavy an will order it in the Sony A mount as well and use it with my Sony 4 adapter and i have a Sony 3 adapter as well. Tell you why I am ordering the A mount. I have today the 14, 85 and 135 in A mount but Im very leery of Sonys roadmap when it comes to bodies and i have a feeling we may just see a 36mpx A body come to light very quickly here. If I have 4 A mounts ready for that so much the better and can still use them on the FE bodies. The one catch here is my 1 Canon mount Zeiss 25mm F2 there is no Canon to A adapter that I know of so that could pose a problem later if i get a A mount body but I am sitting here with 4 A mounts ready to go in any direction Sony decides to take me and Im covered. Im trying to plan ahead in case a A mount comes to light thats a killer over the A7R. Guess I am trying to take a safe path here and only bring this up since it might be a thought for others. Ill also order the kit lens 28-70 as C1 now supports it or the Tamron 28-70 2.8 just need to decide which maybe better on that one but the Sigma i believe is my answer since I really liked that lens. Okay i need a bull dozer now to carry it but I don't care its about IQ to me. LOL

tashley

Subscriber Member
Guy, I did a shoot recently of our local bishop, some 300 shots, and I used the 24-70, the 35 2.8 and the 55 1.8 and I can honestly say that the results from all were very nice, I really didn't feel short changed by the zoom. I hear what you are saying about the distortion though, and it is a bummer that C1 doesn't 'do' it though the formula for the 28-70 might work? But as Jono says elsewhere the 24-70 definitely has the Zeiss sparkle. I just wouldn't use it for low light.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Its a good lens no doubt has some shortcoming as you pointed out in your review but for the money on it I don't usually use a zoom much so i figured now C1 supports the 28-70 and all I really need it for is PR on camera flash crap ( bread and Butter gigs) than the distortion issue is a problem and I am perfect on the A7 which I think the kit lens would be better on. My other issue is the Sony 35mm 2.8 is slow and I had a bad copy which I returned or sold can't remember and I could use a fast lens here in 35mm. The 55mm I love and thats a keeper but like to see what Sony does next as far as glass. I figure i go this route Im safe and sound and than can make moves later and the key for me too is 35mm lens is really my main lens more often than anything else. I may revisit the 24-70 down the road though if C1 will support it. Now thats my needs and many like You and Jono love these zooms as walk arounds and for that they can't be beat. I do see some really nice images from it so thats not the issue.