Site Sponsors
Page 113 of 196 FirstFirst ... 13 63 103 111 112 113 114 115 123 163 ... LastLast
Results 5,601 to 5,650 of 9796

Thread: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with sony A7RII images

[QUOTE=Quentin_Bargate;652083]And a somewhat bonkers ISO 102,400 shot with some luminance NR in ACR....

Not noise free, but oddly useable!

Would love to see the original ARW file of some high iso shots as if they are this good I would trade in my A7s when I pick up the camera. Any chance of putting something in dropbox

Post Thanks / Like

These exceed my expectations. Thanks so much for taking time to post these.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=Viramati;652087]
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    And a somewhat bonkers ISO 102,400 shot with some luminance NR in ACR....

Would love to see the original ARW file of some high iso shots as if they are this good I would trade in my A7s when I pick up the camera. Any chance of putting something in dropbox
    I could, but I think I should get a better shot first. This was shot through an apartment window in very low light
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing these Quentin - much appreciated! Mine arrived yesterday but I am in Poland with an RX100 IV (itself a lot of fun!) so I won't get my mitts on the A7RII for another few days. In the meantime I drool over your samples and eagerly await your further opinions!

Best
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Thanks for sharing these Quentin - much appreciated! Mine arrived yesterday but I am in Poland with an RX100 IV (itself a lot of fun!) so I won't get my mitts on the A7RII for another few days. In the meantime I drool over your samples and eagerly await your further opinions!

Best
    Tim
    Tim

Well you - and anyone else waiting to get their hands on a new A7RII - can rest assured you have chosen wisely

Its early days, but I already wonder if this camera will fulfill my long cherished ambition of ticking the box of just about every photographic need: high enough resolution for tripod mounted landscapes, connected enough for studio food / still life, fast enough for street photography, compact enough for travel, and so on. Faster primes needed, of course, but then so many other lenses can be used with an adapter maybe its not an issue. I really look forward to what you and others cook up with this monster!
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep View Post
    Well, some do require a 2nd mortgage even in this day and age

But seriously though, I agree completely, we're all spoilt and yet want more, more. Not that long ago we were struggling with film and slides, unable to print large or print at all.

As I've been saying, these are truly interesting times......

Great pictures Quentin, BTW, the camera truly looks very promising. Thanks for posting.
    Thanks, Pradeep - I see you own an A7R. The A7RII is a far more capable beast.
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

Samples look terrific!

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to ask for some mere raw files at 6400, 8000 and 12800...but after taking a look at that insane photo at iso 100k I'm guessing it's pointless
    www.rafael-lopes.com

Post Thanks / Like

Just downloaded some 8000 and 12800 raw files from another forum and with no work at all they are clean...and I mean CLEAN.

Could it be? One camera to rule them all??

Post Thanks / Like

What more do we need, hope for? Will this (finally) be the last camera body we buy?

Unless someone develops a camera with all these features/performance, AND cures lower back pain, this will probably be the last camera I purchase.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much Quentin. Your images are a real treat.
    I am glad I have pre-ordered the A7RII. Hopefully it arrives soon.
    Will keep my A7R nonetheless.
    Thanks again.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Edit...I would just like to add and give a little plug, hoping that is OK for Andreas Resch’s excellent Web Sharpener
    Version V1.0d is now out for Photoshop CS4 upwards (WIN/MAC)
    Web Sharpener - Better Sharpening for the WebAndreas Resch ? Naturfotografie
    I have been using it a little while now and it is truly brilliant IMHO...It allows even further fine tuning than the previous earlier versions and does seem to be a genuine improvement on what was already a wonderful Photoshop Script to start with...Cheers Barry
    Last edited by Barry Haines; 31st July 2015 at 10:49.
    Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines
    Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Tim

Well you - and anyone else waiting to get their hands on a new A7RII - can rest assured you have chosen wisely

Its early days, but I already wonder if this camera will fulfill my long cherished ambition of ticking the box of just about every photographic need: high enough resolution for tripod mounted landscapes, connected enough for studio food / still life, fast enough for street photography, compact enough for travel, and so on. Faster primes needed, of course, but then so many other lenses can be used with an adapter maybe its not an issue. I really look forward to what you and others cook up with this monster!
    Thanks, Quentin. Everything looks impressive on the web JPEGs, but the lack of lossless compression sure looks like a major problem.

Are we ready for the inevitable "A7RII and Why I am (Not) Keeping It" thread?
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Thanks, Quentin. Everything looks impressive on the web JPEGs, but the lack of lossless compression sure looks like a major problem.

Are we ready for the inevitable "A7RII and Why I am (Not) Keeping It" thread?
    Very funny. I like the thought.
    Once my A7RII has arrived I wonder how I can change an old thread title to:

A7R and A7RII and Why I am Keeping both! :-)
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks like I guessed correctly. I sold the A7II and the A7r. I knew this would replace both of them. Shipping out the A7II tomorrow to its new owner. I've been planning this one for awhile. The one outside shot said it all to me. Perfect and yes it has more DR, that's very clear to me.

Also I have been away for 3 weeks and finally get home tommorrow. I kicked butt today drove over 900 miles in a truck. Only 300 left
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

I tried A7II (not R) in the store today and it felt like the handling is ... not great compared to Nikon D800 I had. The main issue is ... my nose It just sets against the camera body when looking to a EVF. And I don't have a big nose... Another observation is dials are less reachable than on bigger bodies. I know there must be sacrifices, of course. But is it just me? Or is this just an easy to get used to?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLF View Post
    I tried A7II (not R) in the store today and it felt like the handling is ... not great compared to Nikon D800 I had. The main issue is ... my nose It just sets against the camera body when looking to a EVF. And I don't have a big nose... Another observation is dials are less reachable than on bigger bodies. I know there must be sacrifices, of course. But is it just me? Or is this just an easy to get used to?
    to be honest, I never liked the handling of the A7R. It also felt a bit soulless - a camera to respect rather than love. Im going to see if love blossoms with the A7RII over the coming days and weeks In image quality terms, its winner. Handling - well, that's more subjective.
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

And a somewhat bonkers ISO 102,400 shot with some luminance NR in ACR....

When the camera was announced I did make the observation that I wondered if owning an A7S for still photography would still be necessary.

Looking at this: I think not.

LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com

Post Thanks / Like

I think we can assume an updated A7S II will come along and leap ahead further still in terms of high ISO performance. I can't see it taking longer than 6 months. I wonder if then Sony will slow down on the release cycle now that the Mk II cameras are almost universally recognised as a big improvement on the originals and pump out the lenses. Interesting times.

Post Thanks / Like

I could not be more sold. Just to be cautious I'm going to wait until I get the A7RII before I sell my D610 to cover part of the costs.
    My biggest fear right now is much Brazilian customs is going to steal from me once the camera arrives

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say I am in a real quandary over the A7s issue as from what I am hearing and seeing it maybe that the rII may will be more than enough for what I need in lowlight photography. It also looks like it may be better with some of the Leica M lenses though I no longer own the summicron 28 asph which was just terrible on the previous A7's since I bought the Leica Q. Anyway I had already decided to sell the A7II to go towards funding the rII and now might also sell the A7s. Now that I have the Leica Q it is getting harder to justify 2 other bodies as when I do any PR/documentary work I tend to work with 2 bodies and a 28 on one and 50 on the other so I can now do this with the Q and A7rII with FE55. Any thoughts on this are welcome.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    I was going to ask for some mere raw files at 6400, 8000 and 12800...but after taking a look at that insane photo at iso 100k I'm guessing it's pointless
    Any chance of letting us know where these are

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

RBS bank HQ reflections

Definitely seeing quite a "creamy" low contrast rendition out of camera. Good material to work with

Shadow recovery is spooky because there is so little noise.
    Quentin Bargate
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Those images look great, Quentin! If I get half those results I will be very pleased with my decision to pre order the a7rII.

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share these images with us. I, like probably most everyone else that is still waiting for our release date to arrive, look around the web for sample images. Yours are by far the best I have seen other than the manufacturers released images which also are good but expectedly so. Thanks again for sharing these with us, Quentin.

Now the only test I will have to make when mine gets here is if the a7rII can get me to pull my CG28mm back out of the ContaxG2 kit and be able to use it on this digital body. I fully expect my CG45 and CG90 to still work well as they have on all the NEX bodies but the 35mm and 28mm went back in the ContaxG2 kit since I bought the NEX 7 due to color shift and smearing. This now is my only remaining unanswered question regarding this new body. I own the CG21 as well but hold no hope of that one working well. I love the cg21mm on the ContaxG2 with slide film but the results I saw with cut to fit 21's on NEX or a7x bodies don't even come close to this lenses potential on its film body. On the contaxG2 I have always considered the 21mm the best of the lenses available for it(never owned the 16mm).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have to say this. It's a completely different looking beast and for the better. The DR and smoothness of file is really showing. This is going to require some nice test shooting for everyone. We need to see how our glass reacts to this. Can't wait for mine. I ordered through Amazon but I'm looking for a non tax site to have one in stock.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim

Thanks. I'm also interested in other lenses and how they perform. The 16-35mm, the only lens I have thus far had a chance to use, is good, although there is some corner softness visible.

One wonders about the Batis lenses also on the A7RII.

Fun times

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    Those images look great, Quentin! If I get half those results I will be very pleased with my decision to pre order the a7rII.

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share these images with us. I, like probably most everyone else that is still waiting for our release date to arrive, look around the web for sample images. Yours are by far the best I have seen other than the manufacturers released images which also are good but expectedly so. Thanks again for sharing these with us, Quentin.

Now the only test I will have to make when mine gets here is if the a7rII can get me to pull my CG28mm back out of the ContaxG2 kit and be able to use it on this digital body. I fully expect my CG45 and CG90 to still work well as they have on all the NEX bodies but the 35mm and 28mm went back in the ContaxG2 kit since I bought the NEX 7 due to color shift and smearing. This now is my only remaining unanswered question regarding this new body. I own the CG21 as well but hold no hope of that one working well. I love the cg21mm on the ContaxG2 with slide film but the results I saw with cut to fit 21's on NEX or a7x bodies don't even come close to this lenses potential on its film body. On the contaxG2 I have always considered the 21mm the best of the lenses available for it(never owned the 16mm).
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic news! I had no doubt this camera would be this good but the skeptic in me was hesitant to believe it until I saw it. I would imagine many of us would also like to know how it performs with Canon glass too. Looking forward with playing with one soon.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I am eager to put my Leica R and M lenses on that camera. Should be interesting.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Exciting times for sure. Great samples even at web sizes. I'm pretty stoked about how prints could potentially turn out.
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's not just you, me too... And it could be our noses, mine is a pretty long and pointed schnoz. Anyway, the A7r actually suited me better than the A7II, mostly due to grip configuration. A7rII is *not* on my radar -- I am going to wait for that sensor to show up in the Nikon D900 (or whatever) in a few months, and get that version as I have a great stable of glass.

Don't get me wrong, I am impressed with the images Quentin has posted, but the poor (for me) ergos and relative dearth of good AF glass has bumped me off the Sony A platform.

Caveat is, I do have my A7r at LifePixel getting a full-spectrum convert, but I sold off all my dedicated A glass except a 24-70 and of course have a Metabones Nikon to Sony converter for my N glass.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post

Don't get me wrong, I am impressed with the images Quentin has posted, but the poor (for me) ergos and relative dearth of good AF glass has bumped me off the Sony A platform.
    Funny, the excellent AF glass is one reason I just sold my D4 and D800 and collection of Nikon lenses.

No sports camera in the FE line up is my biggest complaint. I am using my Samsung NX1, which has many fine qualities but lens selection is not among them.

Oh, I would also enjoy a nice macro flash for the Sony.

-Bill

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not just you, me too... And it could be our noses, mine is a pretty long and pointed schnoz. Anyway, the A7r actually suited me better than the A7II, mostly due to grip configuration. A7rII is *not* on my radar -- I am going to wait for that sensor to show up in the Nikon D900 (or whatever) in a few months, and get that version as I have a great stable of glass.

Caveat is, I do have my A7r at LifePixel getting a full-spectrum convert, but I sold off all my dedicated A glass except a 24-70 and of course have a Metabones Nikon to Sony converter for my N glass.
    No need to justify preferences. I will say that the grips improve the ergonomics a great deal for me but I have pretty large hands even for my height.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Exciting times for sure. Great samples even at web sizes. I'm pretty stoked about how prints could potentially turn out.
    Indeed. I used to shoot an A7R and made a fair number of prints, 24x36 being the largest. They were excellent. Even based on these JPEG's that Quentin has shared, I think the sensor in this "II" version is in another league. I suspect prints will be quite outstanding.
    www.douglaswoodphotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

DSC09565-2 by unoh7, a7.mod 75 Lux

DSC09584 by unoh7, same
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I know, I had the same feeling but not with A7II, but with a7 and a7r. When they came out I went into a Sony store to check them out as a potential replacement for my Nikon system, as they would allow me to use my FD glass. I was so dissatisfied with ergonomics and then took the a99 and it was almost perfect. I can't understand why Sony who had such a great layout with joystick and everything already in their line-up didn't use that, but went with something different?!

But the a7rII may have enough of the image quality jump to push me over the edge.

The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision. - Helen Keller

Post Thanks / Like

^^^ Charlie I like your last portrait the best of the 3 Cheers Barry ^^^

Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines
    Likes 16 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was concerned the file sizes would slow down LR6 too much on my retina monitor. I was planning to down-rez the monitor to accommodate the 2x (compared to A7II) file size.

However, after downloading some RAW files from the A7rII and manipulating them, I don't think it will be necessary. The graphics support added with LR6 seems to be up to the task.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^^^^ - beautiful picture, Barry!
    www.douglaswoodphotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwood View Post
    Indeed. I used to shoot an A7R and made a fair number of prints, 24x36 being the largest. They were excellent. Even based on these JPEG's that Quentin has shared, I think the sensor in this "II" version is in another league. I suspect prints will be quite outstanding.
    Agreed and for all of the perceived shortcomings of the A7R, the printed results can be downright outstanding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FYI got a email update from Amazon that availability has moved till the 7th. I pre ordered right away so looks like a stock or shipping more likely scenerio.

Finally home too

Post Thanks / Like

Of all the RAW samples I've downloaded from PhotographyBlog, I was most impressed with the ones shot with the 90 macro. That seems to be a must have lens for this system, but the same can be said for the 25/2, 35/1.4, 55/1.8, 85/1.8.

A year ago, I had no interest in a Sony system. It looks like such a great system now with all these lenses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rjp85 View Post
    Of all the RAW samples I've downloaded from PhotographyBlog, I was most impressed with the ones shot with the 90 macro. That seems to be a must have lens for this system, but the same can be said for the 25/2, 35/1.4, 55/1.8, 85/1.8.

A year ago, I had no interest in a Sony system. It looks like such a great system now with all these lenses.
    Yeah I move to the FE when it was first released and I eventually sold all of my Leica gear. The lens lineup is pretty great now in the key areas. I'm happily awaiting a long portrait lens between 120-150mm still and maybe a long zoom eventually. Everything else I feel is adequately covered now.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW Guy, a Manager in the Sony pro service plan is still saying Aug 4th will be the USA Sony Store's shipping date as does the CS reps in the Sony Store ...... I feel it is going to be a very long week especially after seeing Quentin's and some other of the posted images from this body around the web

We need a Early Adopter's 12 step program

Post Thanks / Like

^^^^^^ - beautiful picture, Barry!
    Many thanks Doug for the kind words, hope to see your monochrome work back over here again when you eventually get your A7RII as I suspect you will ...Cheers Barry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rjp85 View Post

There are some good shots here and give us all we need to know about the new sensor.

A question though: How in the world did the photographer manage to acquire so many sensor spots on such a new camera?

Post Thanks / Like

The reason I sold (well, almost) Nikon gear I always wanted two bodies. And 2 D810's is too much (with the lenses). But A7Rii is smaller and lighter so are the lenses I think, which is good. Sensor is great too, steady shot, etc, so I'm going for it. But the ergo... well, I hope I'll get used to it. BTW, I like my a6000 cam for everyday use.

But you mentioned D900... it got me thinking...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    There are some good shots here and give us all we need to know about the new sensor.

A question though: How in the world did the photographer manage to acquire so many sensor spots on such a new camera?
    Hey I am old and my eye's must be weaker than when I was younger but I just looked at the Quentin's images and I don't see what you are referring to. I see empty ceiling hooks in the shop window pic but I just don't see a single sensor spot. On that note my original NEX5 has sensor spots right out of it's sealed box as did my NEX7 so spots would not be all that unusual.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    Hey I am old and my eye's must be weaker than when I was younger but I just looked at the Quentin's images and I don't see what you are referring to. I see empty ceiling hooks in the shop window pic but I just don't see a single sensor spot. On that note my original NEX5 has sensor spots right out of it's sealed box as did my NEX7 so spots would not be all that unusual.
    Not Quentin's images, I was referring to the images posted in PhotographyBlog. Several sensor spots are apparent.

No big deal, but it usually takes a few weeks for a spot or two to find it's way onto my sensor from a new camera. And this is even more extended with the A7II's IBIS, which seems to do a great job at eliminating dust spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Haines View Post
    Many thanks Doug for the kind words, hope to see your monochrome work back over here again when you eventually get your A7RII as I suspect you will ...Cheers Barry
    Barry, I have to admit that the A7RII is pretty tempting. I know you're holding out for the A9 but I'm a bit surprised that A7RII pictures haven't started showing up from you. Soon, right?

Post Thanks / Like

Barry, I have to admit that the A7RII is pretty tempting. I know you're holding out for the A9 but I'm a bit surprised that A7RII pictures haven't started showing up from you. Soon, right?
    Doug, I will let you into a secret I know exactly the date when the A9 will be announced It's the day after I succumb to Pay-paling a A7RII
    Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wanna bet? 😉

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    What more do we need, hope for? Will this (finally) be the last camera body we buy?

Unless someone develops a camera with all these features/performance, AND cures lower back pain, this will probably be the last camera I purchase.