Site Sponsors
Page 118 of 197 FirstFirst ... 18 68 108 116 117 118 119 120 128 168 ... LastLast
Results 5,851 to 5,900 of 9812

Thread: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Taken this afternoon...This is the lovely little village of Cardinham, the neighbouring village to where I live on the other side of the Camel valley.
    Taken handheld at 168mm FL on the Sony 70-200mm F4 FE, which I feel is about it’s limitation before the corners start to go a bit softer towards the 200mm end.
    Please click on ENLARGEMENT link below to see the detail...Many thanks Barry

Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines
    Likes 17 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with sony A7RII images

Nothing special but here is a shot with the CV15/4.5. So far I'm really impressed with overall and corner sharpness
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

A few more images taken from the inside of Cardinham Church ^^^
    All images A7R with 35mm Distagon F1.4 FE shot WO

Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines
    Likes 20 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What a bee shot Louis! .

With the recent state of emergency for toxic river plume in New Mexico, I remember this shot I took about 3 months ago. Knee-deep in that....

A7s + ZM 15

Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Canon EF 50 1.2L on a metabones IV

Shot 1 hour past sunset from a boat.

ISO 2000 1/160 at F2.0

Processed in C1 (including sharpening and NR) and converted to jpeg in LR. Image is uncropped.

Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I can't find anywhere to buy an A7Rii, so I'm forced to go out shooting with my crappy old A7ii.

Third Avenue Bridge with Minneapolis skyline.

A7ii with FE 16-35 at 16mm

Layers - Minneapolis historic milling district.

A7ii with FE 70-200 at 128mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting and fun shoot by Jason Lanier with the A7RII and FE lenses on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3CwK21Hak4
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have been recently travelling around several of the small churches set within the remote Cornish countryside. As the night descends these churches can take on an altogether different appearance outside and especially within!
    In one such church that will remain nameless, I stumbled upon a very small figurine of a monk almost glowing in the dark shadows of the corner of the church set against an old carved oak cabinet, it made me think back to an old English ghost story that I read way back years ago...
    The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral – By M. R. James https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/j/jam.../chapter5.html

Quotations...
    “This might at first sight be mistaken for a monk or “friar of orders gray”, for the head is cowled and a knotted cord depends from somewhere about the waist. A slight inspection, however, will lead to a very different conclusion. The knotted cord is quickly seen to be a halter, held by a hand all but concealed within the draperies; while the sunken features and, horrid to relate, the rent flesh upon the cheek-bones, proclaim the King of Terrors”

I must be firm, I must be firm, I must be firm”

Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines
    Likes 19 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

With the 55 FE (and my kid )
    (like how the A7RII deal with harsh/hard light conditions. Take care of the highlights and recover the blacks in post, works pretty well)

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have merged all the A7rII posts with the overall thread now for all a7 cams. As always nice to know which camera and what lenses you used as that is a help to other members. Thanks Guy
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Frog's eye level view. Just playing with the FE 90 Macro on my a7II, f18.

Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEvangelist View Post
    Well, I can't find anywhere to buy an A7Rii, so I'm forced to go out shooting with my crappy old A7ii.

Third Avenue Bridge with Minneapolis skyline.

A7ii with FE 16-35 at 16mm

Layers - Minneapolis historic milling district.

A7ii with FE 70-200 at 128mm
    Mike you want me to find you one.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You folks are just killing it with the A7 series cams. Im going to process some A7rII today and post

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just want to show you all the new Batis 25 in action. Handheld

Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Mike you want me to find you one.
    Sure, if you've got a source.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice Guy, the Batis lenses and CV15III together with the A7RII look to be a magic combo in your hands congratulations. I have to admit it’s lovely to have all the A7’s back again within the thread that you created.
    I think I’m flogging a waiting it out for an announcement of a Sony A9...I probably should have preordered the A7RII like everybody else weeks ago and paid a little less attention to SAR

Colour blended with a split toned image in NIK SE2 (BLENCOMO)

Just a few miles NE of where I live lies the tiny village called "Temple" on Bodmin Moor.
    This is the rebuilt church at Temple that was originally built way back in c. 1120, on land belonging to the Knights Templar just one year after the Knights Templar's first became active c. 1119
    Wiki - Temple https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple,_Cornwall
    Wiki - Knights Templar https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_Templar

Just on the outside of the Church is an ancient outbuilding which resembles an oversized dog kennel from a time gone past. This has some very strange carved symbols in the stonework itself!
    It’s hard to see but on close inspection one of the symbols (Just right of centre) looks decidedly like a chalice!
    So I’m guessing that the “Holy Grail” is probably tucked away safely inside, where I expect it’s protected by the Bodmin Beast day and night and night and day

Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea I like all the A7 series in one spot just gives you a nice feeling for the whole line up.

I got emails out for 2 bodies one for Mike and John. You know maybe even in my back yard. Someone try Tempe Camera

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Andy (Admin) is looking for one.

Post Thanks / Like

a7 + FE90 @ f11, iso-200, 1/200

Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A facade in a remote area of Roubaix, France. (lots of cats living in that building)

Likes 18 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Been photographing this little track for years now on my daily dog walk. This is my fave so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Haines View Post
    Colour blended with a split toned image in NIK SE2 (BLENCOMO)
    Barry, I've admired your photos of historical sites and especially like this series. Thanks for sharing both the images and the history.

Can you point me to a description of your BLENCOMO process? I know I've seen it described somewhere in this thread, now 118 pages long.

Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SamSS View Post
    a7 + FE90 @ f11, iso-200, 1/200

Fantastic detail and colors! Thanks.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Been photographing this little track for years now on my daily dog walk. This is my fave so far.

Lovely composition and toning, Tim. Plus, the FE-55 is just stupid good. When I was shooting the A7R, that's the one lens that never failed to put a smile on my face.
    www.douglaswoodphotography.com
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Another couple with the A7RII and FE55. I could really get to like using this combo....

Post Thanks / Like

CV 15/4.5 vIII

A heavy load by Viramati, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Barry, I've admired your photos of historical sites and especially like this series. Thanks for sharing both the images and the history.

Can you point me to a description of your BLENCOMO process? I know I've seen it described somewhere in this thread, now 118 pages long.

Joe
    Thank you so much Joe, that's very kind of you + Likewise another thanks to you for your mogrify/2 tutorials (Framing etc...) on your website, they became very helpful to me for when I first started playing around with the script.

I will put both the tone mapping process that I still currently use here and also the BLENCOMO (BLENded COlour with MOnochrome) treatment, although my workflow has changed since writing this earlier.

Tone mapping (page 100).... Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

I am still currently playing around with Photomatix, it’s not exactly the most natural looking of all the tone mapping programs out there!
    I figured if I could tame the OTT aggressive effects with this program (worse case scenario) I could then apply the same techniques with other more natural looking tone mapping programs.
    I generally make no more than 3 tone mapped images now, each one concentrating for either the highlight areas like skies, another for the mid tones and a darker version for the shadows.
    I will then compile these 3 images as layers on top of the natural original worked up image...Fading the opacities to taste, then erase/dodge/burn different parts of those layers to accentuate different parts of the image...Once happy I will then merge the 3 layers together with the original.
    It can be a little time consuming but I quite like playing around with this sort of thing, it’s a bit like assembling a jigsaw but in 3D!

My old workflow back then incl. BLENCOMO treatment (page 62)... Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

GetDPI is a sharing community so here is my typical workflow as best as I can remember for you or anybody who is interested (apologies to those who are not).

RAW>DNG>CS (ACR..Only basic corrections like exposure, vignetting etc...) open.

When in CS straighten up the images horizon and then correct perspective and crop...Save as a Tiff.

Open the Tiff into LR and then Export to Mogrify 2 LR/Mogrify 2 - Add Watermarks, Border and Text Annotions to Images Exported by Adobe Lightroom 2 the image (In other words add a preset frame with title, author and lens info etc.)

Re-open back into CS (for Labcolor processing) and run this free downsizing/sharpening Web Sharpener CS4+ script Web Sharpener - Better Sharpening for the WebAndreas Resch ? Naturfotografie
    Andreas Resch - Websharpener script is just wonderful IMO, you can control the final output size (I use 1600x1600px maximum output for Flickr) and the actual amount of sharpening on layers together with contrast and saturation...I have pretty well tried most downsizing sharpeners out there, this is my favourite for sure but it can only be done in CS4 (or above) because it steps down in increments using the Lab color method.

Once happy with the image flatten off the layers off and convert the Lab colour to SRGB and save as a new Tiff.

Zoom into the corner where the image touches the frame and make a selection around the image only (This means all changes from now on in only have a effect upon the image itself and not the frame)...Make a thin black, grey or white (penline 1 px wide your choice) using Edit>Stroke.

BLENCOMO (BLENding COlour with MOno) treatment.
    Keeping the same selection (marching ants) and now open filters (Nik software Silver Efex Pro 2)...I use a slight variant Preset of my own which is very similar to the std. Preset *015 included - but with less noise.> OK. (It’s like getting an instant black and white TONEMAPPED image which adds some drama to an image...vary the SOFT CONTRAST slider to taste or even add a tone like, sepia, selenium etc... should you so wish).

Go to the Layers and fade the opacity to around 50% (It much depends on the colour within the image itself) and then flatten off the layers, you should now have a pastel coloured image which needs bringing back to colour life by adjusting the (Image>Adjustments>Vibrance) Vary the vibrance and saturation to taste.

Still with the selection on use the graduated filter to Colour Burn down the Sky (Edit>FADE GRADIENT) and the Ground up (Edit>FADE GRADIENT) to form a base for the image.

Correct the White balance (I use Pictocolour PictoColor Software: PictoColor Software: Color Correction Software and Photoshop Plugins ).

Final step...Auto Contrast (Edit>FADE CONTAST) whilst watching the Histogram doesn’t burn out the Highlights...Add some curves, dodge tool (highlight) along pier strip and clone out birds and insects flying in the sky, deselect selection and save as a jpg....Takes me about 30-40 minutes most images.

Hope that gives you some insight to my typical workflow....Cheers Barry

EDIT...I will just add that these were copied from their respective earlier pages, when I was still finding my way with the process.
    Later experimentation showed me that the IQ increased dramatically by changing the sequence of the workflow.
    Just work the full sized image 24mp/36mp/42mp or whatever size you happen to be using to it’s fruition including the BLENCOMO treatment, then finish off with framing (Mogrify - LR) and then the Web Sharpener downsizing script in CS4 upwards.

Last edited by Barry Haines; 15th August 2015 at 01:41.
    Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines
    Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Taken this afternoon down on the Lizard peninsula

Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines
    Likes 19 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A7.mod; two with my long event lens, Nikon 180/2.8 AIS ED, and the last with the Sonnetar, a tiny 50/1.1

DSC00217 by unoh7, on Flickr

DSC00254-2 by unoh7, on Flickr

DSC00285 by unoh7, on Flickr
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Haines View Post
    Thank you so much Joe, that's very kind of you + Likewise another thanks to you for your mogrify/2 tutorials (Framing etc...) on your website, they became very helpful to me for when I first started playing around with the script.

I will put both the tone mapping process that I still currently use here and also the BLENCOMO (BLENded COlour with MOnochrome) treatment, although my workflow has changed since writing this earlier.
    <snip>
    Hope that gives you some insight to my typical workflow....Cheers Barry
    Thanks very much, Barry. I'll give it a try. Stay tuned.

And I'm happy you found the tutorials on my website useful. Just trying to "pay it forward".

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with A7RII

I'm sorry Quentin's thread got lumped together with this one so soon, when I thought folks were just beginning to explore A7RII and lens combinations as a separate topic/inquiry. Oh, well, here goes.

I took it out for the first time this morning, withWATE, MATE, and Zeiss C/Y 25 and 35-70mm.

My main concern was whether or not I could use the A7RII to replace my MM, which has the disadvantage of no live view. This makes composition and framing hit-or-miss, using external finders. I was happy with the BW results and can see no reason why I (or anyone else?) would want to own both an M240 and an M246 when they can cover both uses with comparable results and a fraction of the cost with Sony.

In color, I was especially interested in producing some images with a gentle palette, and may have got a couple of examples.

I haven't sharpened these files, even with ACR/LR default sharpening, and it looks like one can easily make a 14x21 print without any. Flickr, however, may have added sharpening.

This shot is with MATE @ 35mm, f11.

Kirk

Old pump house, Tilden, Berkeley by Kirk Thompson, on Flickr

Wondering if my &#x27;BW phase&#x27; is terminating.... by Kirk Thompson, on Flickr
    Last edited by thompsonkirk; 15th August 2015 at 08:34.

Post Thanks / Like

Fun with A7RII

Here's another that met my expectations, this time with MATE @ 28mm. Again the BW version meets my expectations; and I can't imagine the M246 will do much better because resolution of 24 MP w/o Bayer filter would not be too different from Sony's 42MP. And with Sony I have the advantage – besides LV – of being able to tweak the conversion, esp. with R, Y, and G sliders.

Kirk

Wildcat Creek and fence (BW) by Kirk Thompson, on Flickr

Wildcat Creek and fence (Col) by Kirk Thompson, on Flickr
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Fun with A7RII

And here's another that didn't do too well in the color version, though the BW is what I expected. In the BW version I wantedlots of texture and not much differentiation of the subject matter, with rock details looking a lot like forest details. That turned out OK. But the color version suffers somewhat from flare. I generally like the flare of older lenses (25mm Distagon) in BW, but to my eye, the effects of flare aren't as nice in color. If this proves to be a problem I might try either the 25 Batis, or a newer 25 ZE or ZF Distagon with up-to-date coatings.

Kirk.

Rock with cave, Wildcat Creek (BW) by Kirk Thompson, on Flickr

Rock with cave, Wildcat Creek (Col) by Kirk Thompson, on Flickr
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

PS, a friend just told me the soft colors looks like Marshall's hand-coloring. I don't think she meant this as a compliment! Perhaps I should back off a bit from that experiment.

Kirk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thompsonkirk View Post
    PS, a friend just told me the soft colors looks like Marshall's hand-coloring. I don't think she meant this as a compliment! Perhaps I should back off a bit from that experiment.

Kirk
    Kirk, I rather like the colour version: it has a lyrical delicacy.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Kirk, I rather like the colour version: it has a lyrical delicacy.
    Never seen diffraction described this way.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple more of the orchid in the font from yesterday (A7R + 16-35mm FE)

Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines

Post Thanks / Like

" To The Blue "

To The Blue by Werner Utsch, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just having a Batis 85mm moment here. A7rII

Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great shots everyone
    Shots from this afternoon
    A7rII and Batis 25mm. This is an amazing combo, and a lot to learn still...

Charles Kalnins
    Tallai, Queensland Australia.

http://kalnins.zenfolio.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hate to say it. I have been so Batis crazy I have yet to shoot my VC 15 on the new body. The 35 maybe once. The 25 is so dang good

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BLING BLING

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hate to say it. I have been so Batis crazy I have yet to shoot my VC 15 on the new body. The 35 maybe once. The 25 is so dang good
    Wish I could find one (the Batis 25mm). My pre-order is with B&H. Our local store, Southeastern Camera, has one I can rent, but they can't sell it.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

If I recall correctly, you used to have a Distagon 25/f2 that you liked. Is the Batis on par with that?

Post Thanks / Like

That would be the 'Hollywood' Distagon? Hard to compare – I'd end up liking both the apple and the orange. :-)

Kirk

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The pergola on Houston Pond in the Cornell Arboretum. Shot with A7RII+CV 15mm III. B&W conversion in SEP2 and split toned in LR.

Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Last set from trip. These are from Madrid.

More here.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography | Sony 𝛼7 II - 2 Sony FE Zooms - Lots of Canon FD Glass | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This was a tricky exposure with Contre-jour lighting but tone mapping can be really useful at times for single shot HDR
    Still undecided on the excellent Batis 25mm + CV15III combo as I really do like the versatility of the 16-35mm FE in a single lens with all it’s other FL’s built in...It may not be quite as sharp in the corners but it’s not half bad and really excellent for a SWA zoom...Please click on “ENLARGEMENT” Cheers Barry

Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A7s & FE 24-70/4
    Picked up the lens for video, but the stills work for me as well..

Brick wall test, almost

Way too hot out
    blog
    steve

Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Yukon River. A7II/FE35/1.4

Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post