Site Sponsors
Page 124 of 197 FirstFirst ... 24 74 114 122 123 124 125 126 134 174 ... LastLast
Results 6,151 to 6,200 of 9817

Thread: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

I rented the A-mount 70-400 f/4.0-5.6 G II for the weekend. The reach is nice but the AF doesn't support the lock-on modes like the FE lenses (they are grayed-out and unselectable.) It is a beast and I had no satisfaction with hand-holding and only after tripod mounting was I able to get some keepers. I imagine Sony will give us an FE 70-300 in the not to distant future and I think that may be the one for me...

This one, at APSC ~500mm, made possible by the amazing IBIS on the 7R2...

-Jim
    Likes 19 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just got the FE90 macro. Wow
    I could use it on the A7rIi but I just love the high iso grain from the A7s

Inside time by Viramati, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

" The Tanner's Memorial "

The Tanner's Memorial by Werner Utsch, on Flickr
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Some handheld A7R-FS+Sony FE 90 macro shots with and without a CC filter. Nice to have this OSS lens for the A7R-FS.

Fall crocus making an appearance early this year. (with CC filter)

Assorted plants (with CC filter)

Same, no filter

Green Oxalis plant blossom detail, no filter

Carl
    Gallery
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Grandson across the table from me at a burger joint. EXIF in border.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Same kid. Same setup.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This has been a good conversation about the issues with iso 50 vs 100. Here is what I'm seeing in this comparison....any ideas?? (For compulsive pixel peepers only :-). ALL SETTINGS ON CAMERA AND IN C1 THE SAME EXCEPT FOR ISO. (see lower left for details....ie: iso, Zeiss 35mm, f8, exposure, etc, etc). in Ci with same settings I took 2 files and in two images enlarged to 300 percent. One file at 100 percent. Then opened shadows wide open and tried to blow out highlights. I was interested in shadows really, say in cases where I want expand certain blackish shadows big time in certain images. What I'm seeing is superior micro contrast in the iso 50 file unless my vision is skewed!!. I often shoot the river by my house in early evening with long exposures and shadows in rocks are black. In these cases I want to have the ability to open these shadows to see at least some decent detail...thus one reason for iso 50. (I will say iso 50 in my A7R was much inferior to iso 100 in that camera but I'm not seeing this in my A7RII)..eleanor

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Eleanor Brown
    http://www.eleanorbrown.com
    Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It was the DxO graph JÝrgen showed us in the Nikon forum (... the Fuji is still Queen ), that rekindled my interest in low ISOs.
    Last Sunday I shot everything at ISO 50.
    And I think you're right: there is some real smoothness in the files particular in OOF and shadow parts.

Kind regards.
    Bart ...
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eleanorbrown View Post
    Here is what I'm seeing in this comparison....any ideas?? (For compulsive pixel peepers only :-). ALL SETTINGS ON CAMERA AND IN C1 THE SAME EXCEPT FOR ISO.
    Eleanor, Interesting post and even though I'm not a compulsive pixel peeper I see what you are seeing and saying. However if I understand all the technical talk about the "fake" iso's from Jim Kasson and others is what they are saying that the raw signal strength at iso 50 is nothing more then iso 100 with +1EV exposure compensation. Somehow raw converters are programmed to then automatically apply -1EV in the conversion "behind the scenes" so the scene looks the correct brightness. So it would be interesting to see that as a third test to shoot at iso 100 and + 1EV and then manually apply - 1EV in the raw converter.
    In the example you posted you gave the iso 50 shot twice the amount of light vs. the iso 100 shot, so no surprise smoother gradations can be pulled from the shadows. This will work OK as long as you don't run out of highlight headroom.
    My Pics
    Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Grandson across the table from me at a burger joint. EXIF in border.

Joe
    Great shot, as always, Joe. This is something you can show his fiancee (when the time comes), and he won't be embarrassed.

Is it just me, or does this shot SCREAM Zeiss?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Swapping up to the A7rII ... shot with the FE35

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ykKAbV]

Taking the place of my A7s for video & general lighter-weight stills, at the expense of slightly-less-absurdly-high-ISO :-)
    blog
    steve
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    Eleanor, Interesting post and even though I'm not a compulsive pixel peeper I see what you are seeing and saying. However if I understand all the technical talk about the "fake" iso's from Jim Kasson and others is what they are saying that the raw signal strength at iso 50 is nothing more then iso 100 with +1EV exposure compensation. Somehow raw converters are programmed to then automatically apply -1EV in the conversion "behind the scenes" so the scene looks the correct brightness. So it would be interesting to see that as a third test to shoot at iso 100 and + 1EV and then manually apply - 1EV in the raw converter.
    In the example you posted you gave the iso 50 shot twice the amount of light vs. the iso 100 shot, so no surprise smoother gradations can be pulled from the shadows. This will work OK as long as you don't run out of highlight headroom.
    Yup, it's just a lesson in the math of ETTR. For the best explanation of this, see here...

https://luminous-landscape.com/expose-right/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Johnson View Post
    Hi Chris, you might want to read the following:

http://blog.kasson.com/?m=20150825.....
    Johnny - Thank you for the link; it's a very interesting read!

.............. Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Chris...... difference between iso 50, 64, 80 and 100 on the A7RII is, for the most part, negligible............

iso 50 for instance will give me smoother areas in say a blue sky or in very deep shadows (on extremely close inspection....pixel peeping) than more closely resemble my Phase One files with the same megapixel count. But to repeat, the differences between iso 50 and 100 on the Sony are negligible. .....
    Eleanor - My belated, but grateful thanks for your reply. I have now caught up with the thread so needed to rewrite this reply. Thank you, and others who have contributed to the low ISO discussion.

........... Chris

Post Thanks / Like

This has been a good conversation about the issues with iso 50 vs 100. Here is what I'm seeing in this comparison....any ideas?? (For compulsive pixel peepers only :-). ALL SETTINGS ON CAMERA AND IN C1 THE SAME EXCEPT FOR ISO. (see lower left for details....ie: iso, Zeiss 35mm, f8, exposure, etc, etc). in Ci with same settings I took 2 files and in two images enlarged to 300 percent. One file at 100 percent. Then opened shadows wide open and tried to blow out highlights. I was interested in shadows really, say in cases where I want expand certain blackish shadows big time in certain images. What I'm seeing is superior micro contrast in the iso 50 file unless my vision is skewed!!. I often shoot the river by my house in early evening with long exposures and shadows in rocks are black. In these cases I want to have the ability to open these shadows to see at least some decent detail...thus one reason for iso 50. (I will say iso 50 in my A7R was much inferior to iso 100 in that camera but I'm not seeing this in my A7RII)..eleanor

Thanks Eleanor, Iím not really a pixel peeper and Iím only reporting what I have read elsewhere Ė Yes, I would agree with you that your iso50 300% image shows finer resolving detail in the mid-tones and also the shadows than your iso100 300% image but then thatís what I would have expected anyway from either the A7R or the A7RII, with the reduced noise from 1 stop lower iso....The problem as I see it lies still at whatís going on at the other end with blown highlights...If you are having to blow out the highlights deliberately in post processing in C1 (on the iso50 image) then itís quite feasible that you probably could have exposed the highlights further still to the right at the taking stage on the cameras histogram and still got away with it....The only real way to test this as far as I can see is exactly as Jim Kasson explained here http://blog.kasson.com/?p=11622 or how DPReview did it under a controlled lighting set-up and with a Stouffer step wedge ( http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Sony-alpha-a7r/14 )...

Quote ďOur Dynamic Range measurement system involves shooting a calibrated Stouffer Step Wedge (13 stops total range) which is backlit using a daylight balanced lamp (98 CRI). A single shot of this produces a gray scale wedge from the camera's clipped white point down to black (example below). Each step of the scale is equivalent to 1/3 EV (a third of a stop), we select one step as 'middle gray' (defined as 50% luminance) and measure outwards to define the dynamic range. Hence there are 'two sides' to our results, the amount of shadow range (below middle gray) and the amount of highlight range (above middle gray)Ē

The gentle curve of the shoulder shows subtle finer highlight detail being retained at iso100 whilst the iso50 comes to an abrupt halt and blows out 1 stop faster.
    Please see bottom graph iso50/iso100 comparison http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Sony-alpha-a7r/14

According to DXOMARK...Both the A7R and A7RII cameras have fake isoís below iso100
    DXOMARK see A7R iso50 and iso100 sensitivity are both the same... http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Sony/...rements#tabs-2
    DXOMARK see A7RII iso50 and iso100 sensitivity are both the same... http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Sony/...--Measurements

As said earlier Iím only reporting and linking together what others have said before me...I still have a couple of Stouffer step wedges lying around somewhere from the good old film days I should really test this out for myself.

When I shot with my 35mm Film Leica Mís in the 80ís I was happy with Tri-X and then later with TMax3200 developed in a dilute high acutance developer to exaggerate the grain to itís utmost point just before Mackie lines began to kick in but when I was shooting Large Format sheet film (14x11, 10x8 and 5x4) I did the very opposite, I tried everything possible to make that grain disappear...Pyrogallol and Pyrocatechol film staining developers contact printed on Silver Chloride (Kodak AZO paper from Michael A. Smith) developed in Amidol. Nowadays I donít mind a little noise in my digital images as you may have already gathered ...Cheers Barry

Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines
    Likes 21 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not to get redundant here, but just something fun....not great images but just shows what the A7Rii can pick up resolution wise on closer inspection. Zeiss 100mm F2 Nikon mount with converter. Hand held, manual focus with EVF in windy drizzly weather and shooting quickly from nearly Mount Evans road pull off at about 14,000 feet. Lone climber at 100 percent (top image) on Colorado "fourteener" Mount Bierstadt summit. Gives a sense of scale. Actually climber is also visible on second image of the entire area. Eleanor

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Eleanor Brown

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

table for two

Bart ...
    Likes 17 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sony A7S + SEL70200G
    Craig Slingsby

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all. Been a while since I posted here. I was busy with a lot of life things but still shooting, just not posting much to a lot of different forums. This forum however has such a good Sony presence I really don't know why I don't post here more often. Hopefully that will change.

I recently had a great opportunity fall into my lap. My nephew lives in China and runs an English language school over there. He organized a trip to America for some of his students and their families and many of them decided to come along. They came over in two groups, the first group going to San Fran for a week and then spending a few days in L.A before flying back to China. The second group then flew into L.A. and did the reverse of the trip, ending up in San Fran for a week before going home. My nephew Jake was with them for the entire trip and I was fortunate enough to live close to San Fran so I was able to spend some time with him on both legs of the trip when he was in the city by the bay.

I of course brought my camera and in a very informal way I documented the first group of families and had a lot of fun doing it. Jake was very interested in the images I was getting so when I had to go home from the first leg (to work, blah) I left my back-up camera, a NEX 7/Speedbooster/Yashica ML 50/1.9 combo, for him to use and play around with. Turns out he has a really good eye for photography and he captured some very artistic images.

We then discussed something more formal for the second group coming into San Fran. He had his marketing girl advertise with the families that for a fee they could hire me as a documentary photographer to follow them around for a day on their tour to capture some images from them. We set a max of 5 families so I wouldn't be too swamped and I was delighted that all 5 spots filled up.

I went back to San Fran the next week and had an absolute blast meeting and photographing the Chinese families. Each one consisted of a mother and daughter except for one daughter that was by herself. I shot them the evening I got there, all the next day, and then early on the next morning before going home. My trusty A7 had been giving me a few misfiring issues (hmmmm, not so trusty I guess) so I rented an a7 II to ensure nothing would go wonky with the shoot. I mounted up a Canon FDn 50/1.4 to the a7 II and would use this as my main lens for the day. My a7 would have a Yashica ML 35/2.8 mounted up for group or landscape shots. But in all honesty I ended up using the 50 for about 90% of the shots. That focal length is simply my favorite and it is what I am used to shooting anyway.

So without further ado here are some examples from the shoot. All of these photos are from the a7 II with FDn 50/1.4 and are a mixture of shots showing some kids, one of the moms and one of the teachers just going about the daily routines of the trip. Hope you enjoy.

Last edited by f/otographer; 8th September 2015 at 11:01.
    Likes 26 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A7s and FE90 macro

Smoking 1 & 2

Name:  _DSC5371-Edit.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  301.3 KB

Name:  _DSC5372-Edit-2.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  400.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lots of good and very interesting information here Barry...many many thanks! I'm still learning with this new Sony so all views and information are welcome. I would never blow highlights on purpose or expose to blow out highlights as those can never be recovered. I think the lower iso's in the future will be on an image by image basis and will know more when I use the camera more! The test shots I posted I raised those shadows as much as C1 would allow to a ridiculous level just to see what was "in those shadows"....thus the reason for the test shots to look crazy overexposed. You brought back memories of my darkroom days too....While I love the digital world of photography I do miss the quiet and darkness in my darkroom!:-)...thanks again, eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Haines View Post
    Thanks Eleanor, Iím not really a pixel peeper and Iím only reporting what I have read elsewhere Ė Yes, I would agree with you that your iso50 300% image shows finer resolving detail in the mid-tones and also the shadows than your iso100 300% image but then thatís what I would have expected anyway from either the A7R or the A7RII, with the reduced noise from 1 stop lower iso....The problem as I see it lies still at whatís going on at the other end with blown highlights...If you are having to blow out the highlights deliberately in post processing in C1 (on the iso50 image) then itís quite feasible that you probably could have exposed the highlights further still to the right at the taking stage on the cameras histogram and still got away with it....The only real way to test this as far as I can see is exactly as Jim Kasson explained here http://blog.kasson.com/?p=11622 or how DPReview did it under a controlled lighting set-up and with a Stouffer step wedge ( http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Sony-alpha-a7r/14 )...

Quote ďOur Dynamic Range measurement system involves shooting a calibrated Stouffer Step Wedge (13 stops total range) which is backlit using a daylight balanced lamp (98 CRI). A single shot of this produces a gray scale wedge from the camera's clipped white point down to black (example below). Each step of the scale is equivalent to 1/3 EV (a third of a stop), we select one step as 'middle gray' (defined as 50% luminance) and measure outwards to define the dynamic range. Hence there are 'two sides' to our results, the amount of shadow range (below middle gray) and the amount of highlight range (above middle gray)Ē

The gentle curve of the shoulder shows subtle finer highlight detail being retained at iso100 whilst the iso50 comes to an abrupt halt and blows out 1 stop faster.
    Please see bottom graph iso50/iso100 comparison http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Sony-alpha-a7r/14

According to DXOMARK...Both the A7R and A7RII cameras have fake isoís below iso100
    DXOMARK see A7R iso50 and iso100 sensitivity are both the same... http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Sony/...rements#tabs-2
    DXOMARK see A7RII iso50 and iso100 sensitivity are both the same... http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Sony/...--Measurements

As said earlier Iím only reporting and linking together what others have said before me...I still have a couple of Stouffer step wedges lying around somewhere from the good old film days I should really test this out for myself.

When I shot with my 35mm Film Leica Mís in the 80ís I was happy with Tri-X and then later with TMax3200 developed in a dilute high acutance developer to exaggerate the grain to itís utmost point just before Mackie lines began to kick in but when I was shooting Large Format sheet film (14x11, 10x8 and 5x4) I did the very opposite, I tried everything possible to make that grain disappear...Pyrogallol and Pyrocatechol film staining developers contact printed on Silver Chloride (Kodak AZO paper from Michael A. Smith) developed in Amidol. Nowadays I donít mind a little noise in my digital images as you may have already gathered ...Cheers Barry

Eleanor Brown

Post Thanks / Like

Old Jailhouse in New Mexico.

Sony A7R MII, Zeiss [email protected] f/4, ISO100, 1/5000sec.
    the HepKitty
    Likes 22 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

^^^Lovely to have you back here posting again David (f/otographer), with your own unique style of photography^^^

^^^Eleanor, yes, I realized you were just pulling the files about to demonstrate your point about the low noise shadow recovery Itís really quite amazing what can be achieved nowadays
    Likewise I still miss making prints in the darkroom, I get zero gratification from pressing a few buttons on my Epson printer, although I must admit I was fed up to the back teeth with processing endless amounts of film ^^^

Taken this afternoon...This is Doyden Castle at Port Quin (Standard processing + BLENCOMO Pseudo IR variations)
    A lovely little quirky rentable one bedroom Gothic folly perched high up on the cliffs looking out to sea

Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines
    Likes 17 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

f/ographer:

inspiring set, beautiful work

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    Old Jailhouse in New Mexico.

Sony A7R MII, Zeiss [email protected] f/4, ISO100, 1/5000sec.

Terrific image! Where is this? TIA.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Really interesting images coming out of those Sony Cameras.

Port of Miami from South Pointe Park. A7R + 55mm Nikkor-S

www.achdigital.com
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Terrific image! Where is this? TIA.

Ft. Union New Mexico.
    the HepKitty

Post Thanks / Like

Double A7 fun

A7Rii + OM Zuiko 100/2.8
    My Pics

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

the neighbours' bench ...

Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Shark River Inlet Belmar, NJ this AM

a7rII w/ 16-35mm f4

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Time to reflect

Batis 85mm at 2.8
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dude you got a buck. Im hungry

Minolta 200mm at F4

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Some more from yesterday....The view from Doyden Castle looking back towards Port Quin
    (Normal and BLENCOMO)

Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines
    Likes 18 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A late evening shot taken with the A7RII+Contax G 45mm Planar in the TechArt III adapter (firmware 2.0) with camera set for Phase Detect AF. ISO 6400, f/8, 1/100 sec. Focus locked on instantly with no hunting in very dim light.

Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some more from yesterday....The view from Doyden Castle looking back towards Port Quin
    (Normal and BLENCOMO)
    ]
    I always like your processing treatments but in this case I actually like the original better.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    I always like your processing treatments but in this case I actually like the original better.

Jim
    Thank you Jim, much obliged for the feedback I posted both versions hoping that somebody would let me know which one they preferred
    I blended the colour image with a pseudo BW IR version, which is why the blue sky darkened and the green grass became lighter. Looking back at both versions the next day I also ended up preferring the regular processed image in this instance....Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Having some fun at Harlyn beach today...No, your eyes arenít deceiving you!...4 deliberately OOF and 1 in focus
    All A7R + FE 70-200mm

Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines

Post Thanks / Like

Having some fun at Harlyn beach today...No, your eyes arenít deceiving you!...4 deliberately OOF and 1 in focus
    All A7R + FE 70-200mm
    The OOF images are the kind one sees when they close their eyes, late some winter night... Nice...

Post Thanks / Like

www.achdigital.com
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was on a boat today in the Amsterdam harbour and got really close.

Likes 16 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Another late evening shot using the Contax G 45mm f/2 Planar with TechArt III adapter on the A7RII. This time I placed the camera on a table, self timer with 5 sec delay, PDAF, ISO 100, f/8, 1.3 sec exposure. It was just past sunset with a slight amount of afterglow filtering through the trees that produced some pinkish/orange light in some areas.

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Barry, I really like artistically done out of focus photography. I do quite a bit of that myself. You have some nice examples there with great colors.

Michiel, absolutely wonderful tones in that shipping photo. Lovely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by f/otographer View Post
    Barry, I really like artistically done out of focus photography. I do quite a bit of that myself. You have some nice examples there with great colors.

Michiel, absolutely wonderful tones in that shipping photo. Lovely.
    Thank you David...That means a lot to me, as you are so good at it
    Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Canna blossom going to seed A7RII with Contax G 35mm f/2 Planar (M mount).

Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Rotterdam Delfshaven

Both A7Rii + Nokton 35/1.2 II
    My Pics

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Likes 16 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is Carnglaze Caverns...Itís part of the Cornish tourist trail but well worth a visit
    Pretty dark in the Caverns so photography is pretty useless without a tripod (You canít use flash in case you disturb the sleeping bats)
    I improvised and found a loose old post in the Cavern and used it like a monopod....A7R OSS/on 16-35mm iso400 F/4.0 at 6 seconds (a new PB).

Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines
    Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A 100% crop out of the centre of a frame taken of a fox which frequents our back garden using the unbelievably powerful FE 90/2.8 on a A7R.

iso320 f4 1/200 - this is literally straight out of a RAW file imported into in LR, with only lens profile and cropping applied.

-----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 15 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    A 100% crop out of the centre of a frame taken of a fox which frequents our back garden using the unbelievably powerful FE 90/2.8 on a A7R.

iso320 f4 1/200 - this is literally straight out of a RAW file imported into in LR, with only lens profile and cropping applied.

Terrific shot with an amazing lens!
    Did you have OSS switched On? TIA.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Terrific shot with an amazing lens!
    Did you have OSS switched On? TIA.
    Thanks, the animals are almost tame since we feed them scraps on a regular basis. I love the way they will stare you down without necessarily being threatening. i think they are genuinely intrigued by humans much in the way dogs are. To answer your question, I always leave OSS on. I think I've turned it off once recently when I was doing some tripod mounted stuff.

Regards

LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com