Site Sponsors
Page 185 of 197 FirstFirst ... 85 135 175 183 184 185 186 187 195 ... LastLast
Results 9,201 to 9,250 of 9827

Thread: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Barry, that's sad. What a scenic location for a hotel and restaurant. As a Doc Martin fan, I've probably seen that location many times, not knowing quite how marvelous the landscape context was. Thanks for sharing the story.
    Joe
    Many thanks Joe, it is indeed a beautiful location...It appeared in the earlier seasons and then seemed to get phased out as the series continued, just as the hotel started needing money being re-spent on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugleone View Post
    ........That's been my unexpected surreal picture for today!!.......that people in South Carolina watch Doc Martin!! What on earth can they make of it's whimsical stupidity?....They probably think that all of us here are like that and Doc is 'normal'......one can just imagine them sitting around sipping mint juleps (whatever that is) and guffawing over those crazy limies.......

........it's about time there was an episode where the good doctor was pushed into the harbour and left to drown.
    I admit it does seem a bit surreal that others watch this program so far away from here...What I don't understand is when you say that the Doc isn't normal
    Drown the Doc!...Oh dear, never hopefully!....not why it keeps most of Cornwall employed together with Poldark
    Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bugleone View Post
    ...and guffawing over those crazy limies.......
    LOL. You mean Doc Martin isn't a reality show? I'm disappointed.

BTW, I'm in North Carolina sipping Chardonnay.

Joe

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Careful Joe ....

They all will be thinkin that the Carolinas never got back together after the war .... or the Virginias, Dakotas, (Ar)Kansas .... and then there is Tex-Mex. Oh wait thats what we
    have here with our Chardonnay.

The Doc is ok ... we prefer Morse and Lewis.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Also from Port Isaac..."Close to the edge"

Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines
    Likes 15 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

JAXPier1

Date Taken: 2016-08-07 19:45:20
    Camera Model: ILCE-7
    Lens: FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Saxbike View Post
    JAXPier1

Date Taken: 2016-08-07 19:45:20
    Camera Model: ILCE-7
    Lens: FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS
    Henry, a very nice under pier image

Taken last November when Alison and I travelled up to see our good friend Ron Pfister at Gloucester Docks. He was having Ezra (His Pilot Cutter) overhauled in the dry dock at the far end of this image...A7RII + 35mm Distagon FE @ f/1.4

Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines

Post Thanks / Like

My 1st shot with the new Sony 70-200mm GM f/2.8

A7R II, [email protected] f/2.8, ISO100, 1/160sec.
    the HepKitty
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm a little bit envious about your pictures.
    Framing of the scene and also positioning of people are perfectly implemented. That's why I have to ask: Do you crop often? Do you place/move people in post to your desired position or are those actors you rented?
    I'm sure, you're just a patient man, which take his time to shoot a single picture. But as I'm jealous and impatient, that's why I had to ask.

Again Barry, thanks for sharing your wonderful work with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Haines View Post
    Flickr
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seb View Post
    I'm a little bit envious about your pictures.
    Framing of the scene and also positioning of people are perfectly implemented. That's why I have to ask: Do you crop often? Do you place/move people in post to your desired position or are those actors you rented?
    I'm sure, you're just a patient man, which take his time to shoot a single picture. But as I'm jealous and impatient, that's why I had to ask.

Again Barry, thanks for sharing your wonderful work with us.
    Thanks Seb for your kind words and interest...I'm definitely not as patient as I used to be
    and yes I rent at least a dozen actors everyday just to entertain you guys

Here comes the boring history bit...For a couple of decades I used to shoot 14x11 10x8 & 5x4 film (LF cameras together with MF 6x9 6x7 and 6x6 cameras) and having spent most of those years lugging around a heavy 5 legged alloy Gitzo tripod and then waiting for the light conditions to change outdoors (or not!...and then return back to the scene the next day) or pratting around and adjusting/tweaking studio lights for sets and then only just taking a few polaroids and a couple of sheets of film at a time....I desperately wanted to get back to the freedom of a smaller format and be able to just walkabout unhindered without the need of carrying around a tripod everywhere I go (although I do keep a CF tripod permantly in the boot of the car for should the the occasion arise). I think I have only used a tripod on just 4 pics that I have uploaded here and then only because of using a 10 stop ND filter to slow everything down.
    On the day I went to Marazion (St Michaels Mount) I took 1,262 images (I always shoot Raw and a Jpeg...jpegs for quick evaluation) and try to cover an event by shooting from as many different angles as possible.
    I do sometimes crop (as little as possible) and I do remove (clone out) anything that I think may be destracting fom an image (the odd seagull here or there etc...) but I don't (anylonger) move things around as it's to time consuming to do the job properly.
    Regards the people on the raft I shot 87 Raw images and 87 jpegs in various positions.
    Here is a dropbox link to those 87 SOOC jpegs and the one Raw image that I used in this particular instance....I will leave them up (48 hours) for you or anybody else that wants to download them and have a play about.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y6kpk7puj...5MgAZeT_a?dl=0
    Hope that helps and gives you some insight to what I do and also explains why I do upload several images of the same subject matter as I have so many to choose from
    No need to be jealous, just keep firing away as you have more chances of getting it right
    Cheers Barry
    Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines
    Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I knew it! You are working with profesional background actors and a whole crew trampling through your beautiful neighbourhood!
    (Would be fun, to do that once with a whole crew (with props, lightning, actors...)!)

Your truth may be more boring, but it makes your results even more imressive to me. I try shooting the same way (as less crops as possible, without tripod, different angles, clone out, not moving things), with a little difference: my goal is to shoot only one picture of each frame. Even when I shoot action. It ends up in less pictures (obviously), but also in less keepers. On the other hand, it helps me to concentrate on framing. I'm still so used to my analog camera, I think. In the old days, your day at Marazion would ended up in 35 film rolls.

Thanks for your words and the link. Very helpful.
    Cheers, Sebastian

Thanks Seb for your kind words and interest...I'm definitely not as patient as I used to be
    and yes I rent at least a dozen actors everyday just to entertain you guys

Here comes the boring history bit...For a couple of decades I used to shoot 14x11 10x8 & 5x4 film (LF cameras together with MF 6x9 6x7 and 6x6 cameras) and having spent most of those years lugging around a heavy 5 legged alloy Gitzo tripod and then waiting for the light conditions to change outdoors (or not!...and then return back to the scene the next day) or pratting around and adjusting/tweaking studio lights for sets and then only just taking a few polaroids and a couple of sheets of film at a time....I desperately wanted to get back to the freedom of a smaller format and be able to just walkabout unhindered without the need of carrying around a tripod everywhere I go (although I do keep a CF tripod permantly in the boot of the car for should the the occasion arise). I think I have only used a tripod on just 4 pics that I have uploaded here and then only because of using a 10 stop ND filter to slow everything down.
    On the day I went to Marazion (St Michaels Mount) I took 1,262 images (I always shoot Raw and a Jpeg...jpegs for quick evaluation) and try to cover an event by shooting from as many different angles as possible.
    I do sometimes crop (as little as possible) and I do remove (clone out) anything that I think may be destracting fom an image (the odd seagull here or there etc...) but I don't (anylonger) move things around as it's to time consuming to do the job properly.
    Regards the people on the raft I shot 87 Raw images and 87 jpegs in various positions.
    Here is a dropbox link to those 87 SOOC jpegs and the one Raw image that I used in this particular instance....I will leave them up (48 hours) for you or anybody else that wants to download them and have a play about.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y6kpk7puj...5MgAZeT_a?dl=0
    Hope that helps and gives you some insight to what I do and also explains why I do upload several images of the same subject matter as I have so many to choose from
    No need to be jealous, just keep firing away as you have more chances of getting it right
    Cheers Barry
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

I knew it! You are working with profesional background actors and a whole crew trampling through your beautiful neighbourhood!
    (Would be fun, to do that once with a whole crew (with props, lighning, actors...)!)

Your truth may be more boring, but it makes your results even more imressive to me. I try shooting the same way (as less crops as possible, without tripod, different angles, clone out, not moving things), with a little difference: my goal is to shoot only one picture of each frame. Even when I shoot action. It ends up in less pictures (obviously), but also in less keepers. On the other hand, it helps me to concentrate on framing. I'm still so used to my analog camera, I think. In the old days, your day at Marazion would ended up in 35 film rolls.

Thanks for your words and the link. Very helpful.
    Cheers, Sebastian
    Thanks again Seb, you are very kind...Slowing up using LF on a tripod (or any camera for that matter) will teach you to frame better and to consider your subject matter better IMO....Only portraiture and sporting photography do you need to work faster and be a bit more responsive.
    Many years ago I had a close friend (Bill Miles) now sadly departed who taught me well in how to "SEE" and rethink my photography...It helped me enormously and I will be forever in his debt...However I still keep on taking a lot of crap images though

BTW...When I was shooting 35mm film I would seriously still get through a dozen or two dozen rolls of film on a days outing...my film drying cabinet was switched on permanently

Last edited by Barry Haines; 10th August 2016 at 03:46.
    Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From the series Hydro-electric power plants. I drove up to the highest dam we have here the Grande Dixence. It is 367m high and the highest gravity dam (or weight dam.. well not sure what it is named in English we say "barrage poids" in the world. For a long time, it was simply the highest dam in the world, but lately the Chinese have built higher ones (using another technology, not that of the gravity dam). But it is still the 5th highest dam in the world. Things were as I expected : it doesn't look that impressive and it is difficult to photograph. I do still have a lot of pictures to sort out. but here are a few :

The dam from below (there are thirteen flags in the middle of the dam at the top which will hopefully give an idea of the scale :

The dam, Grande Dixence - 20160808_023a7r2i by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

The lake behind the dam (it is named le Lac des Dix - the lake of the Ten); it is very long and you are only seeing half of it or less.

Lac des Dix, Grande Dixence - 20160808_140-Pano-Modifieda7r2i by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

Note the water fall on the left shore; here is a nearer view :

The artificial lake is filled by the water melting from the winter snow or from the glaciers, or by rains. But it is also collecting water from other lateral valleys pumped through a complex network of underground galleries : the waterfall seen in the picture is an artificial one created by the pumped water.
    Last but not least : during the night when electricity is cheap, the water which came down during the day through the penstocks is pumped back up in order to refill the lake and to produce electricity that can be sold at peak times when it is more expensive. This is a heavy infrastructure.. and since the introduction of subsidized renewable electricity coming from the sun or the wind it is no more so profitable.. These huge infrastructures are now more than 50 years old and in need of renovations and costly investment.. but the time is not favorable at all : electricity prices have got down and are now under the cost of production.. So it is a very critical moment, quasi a crisis.
    AnnaT or rrr_hhh at Flickr
    My facebook page
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 24 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

the HepKitty
    Likes 17 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

the Old Morada at La Cienega New Mexico.

the HepKitty
    Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Below Fernworthy Dam

Last edited by Barry Haines; 11th August 2016 at 14:43.
    Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines

Post Thanks / Like

Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines
    Likes 18 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

the HepKitty

Post Thanks / Like

Below Fernworthy Dam
    Outstanding in every way, Barry. Nice work...
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jim251 View Post
    Outstanding in every way, Barry. Nice work...
    Thank you Jim for the your very kind comment, very most appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

the HepKitty

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bit of bunting in Windsor, UK A7RII Contax G 45mm

Windsor.... by christilou1, on Flickr

Tricks.....

Windsor by christilou1, on Flickr

Bubbles......

Baskets....

Food.....

Post Thanks / Like

" The Message "

The Message by Werner Utsch, on Flickr
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

All these dam pictures, very nice
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ecsh View Post
    All these dam pictures, very nice
    Thank you ecsh

Truro Cathedral - A7R Handheld 21mm Loxia 1/20 f/4 iso320

Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    my twin turbo GTO, sweet Maybellene.

Looks like a Holden!
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Eeeek. 6 litre twin turbo. I wouldn't want to be filling that up with petrol in the UK where we pay, getting on for, $6 per gallon. What car is it?
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by furtle View Post
    Eeeek. 6 litre twin turbo. I wouldn't want to be filling that up with petrol in the UK where we pay, getting on for, $6 per gallon. What car is it?

2006 Pontiac GTO, I don't understand how gas is so high over there, and to think that we complain when it creeps up over here...
    the HepKitty

Post Thanks / Like

2006 Pontiac GTO, I don't understand how gas is so high over there, and to think that we complain when it creeps up over here...
    Most other places in the world price petrol—that’s what Commonwealth countries like the UK and Australia call it—much higher than does Estados Unidos. Recent pricing here in South Australia for UL is $1.19/L which equates to a price of $4.52/US gallon (a US gallon is 3.8L, vs 4.546L for an Imperial gallon); Australia joined the nigh-universal decimal system beginning in 1966.

Note: prices quoted in Australian dollars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by furtle View Post
    Built at a car plant in Elizabeth, South Australia, where many ‘Ten-pound Poms’ migrated to work after the Second Great Unpleasantness!

Post Thanks / Like

Which is why we still drive these in England Sorry, off thread as it's not a Sony camera that snapped this BMW

Steve
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We made a short trip to the mountains over last weekend. As I had a broken toe, hiking was more moving from bench to bench.

Tschiertschen - Graubünden
    (a7RII+Loxia21)

Sunneplatz

Tschiertschen

Grossvatersbänkli

Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

We made a short trip to the mountains over last weekend. As I had a broken toe, hiking was more moving from bench to bench.

Tschiertschen - Graubünden
    (a7RII+Loxia21)

Tschiertschen

Grossvatersbänkli

Seb, what fantastic landscape. You and Annna have such incredible views just on your doorstep....A broken toe, Oouch!!!

Near Penzance at Tremenheere we have a sculpture garden with variety of different artists work on show.
    I was particularly interested in the installation work of James Turrell. I would best describe his work "SKYSPACE" as entering a giant inverted elliptical funnel with smooth light reflective walls and an elliptical hole in the roof to help you concentrate on the ever changing sky above you...The light in the chamber was constantly changing in brightness and contrast.

TREMENHEERE - James Turrell - Art at Tremenheere - Tremenheere Sculpture Gardens

MORE SKYSPACES - http://jamesturrell.com/work/type/skyspace/

I waited for full brightness to capture the shape of the strong light reflected on the walls together with a changing sky
    A7R + 21mm Loxia

Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines

Post Thanks / Like

the HepKitty

Post Thanks / Like

" The Snail "

Rokkor 58/1.2
    10mm Extension Tube

The Snail by Werner Utsch, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Les Jardins de Prélaz, Lausanne 2016
    This is a social housing complex which I photographed in January 2006 for the first time. I was curious to see how it would be ten years later.

A7r2 and FE 55mm F1.8

Jardins de Prélaz - 20160812_011a7r2i by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

I ought to say that I prefer the one I took in 2006. The light propably plays a big role : I was a little too early (4 pm) and the summer sun of this beautiful day was extremely harsh.

Les Jardins de Prélaz, Lausanne 2006 Canon EOS 5D and Tamron 28-70mm F2.8

Jardins-de-Prélaz, Lausanne - 20060109_MG_2209_5Di-2 by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr
    AnnaT or rrr_hhh at Flickr
    My facebook page

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Les Jardins de Prélaz, Lausanne 2016 Note how the vivid red paint is now only very faint on some exterior walls.

A7rm2 and FE 55mm F1.8

Jardins de Prélaz - 20160812_030a7r2i by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

It was looking much better then in 2006

Les Jardins de Prélaz, Lausanne - 20060109_MG_2221_5Di by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

I am wondering what killed the trees?

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ecsh View Post
    I am wondering what killed the trees?
    Nothing.
    In both instances the first pic is the oldest and the last pic is the newest.
    The trees didn't die, they grew.

Post Thanks / Like

Time for a dog picture

Sony a7 Tokina 17mm 1/3 second at some aperture ISO 1600
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    Nothing.
    Sorry, I may have got that the wrong way round, but my brain hurts at the moment!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    Nothing.
    Thank you .. I put the first picture taken in 2006 in second, because they were shot with a Canon 5D, not an A7rm2. It was January then and the complex was just finished. The trees here loose their foliage in winter, with the exception of the Christmas trees :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A few others from the Jardins de Prélaz, Lausanne (a social housing complex promoted by the city of Lausanne)

A7rm2 and FE 55mm F1.8

Jardins de Prélaz - 20160812_064a7r2i by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

and the same place ten years earlier in January

Canon EOS 5D classic and TSE 24mm F3.5

Jardins de Prélaz, Lausanne 20060109_MG_2305_5Di by rrr_hhh), sur Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Saint-Valery-en-Caux
    a7r | FE 4/16-35mm @ 21mm

Post Thanks / Like

Smooth Reflection | 192 Shots | 1/8sec | f7.1 | ISO100
    a7r | FE 4/16-35mm @ 16mm

Post Thanks / Like

Foggintor Quarry Dartmoor...A7RII + 21mm Loxia
    The stone that was quarried from here went into the construction of the historic Princetown prison on Dartmoor (1806)
    History of Dartmoor Prison

The First Prisoners
    First prisoners arrived on 22nd May 1809 and the prison was full by the end of the year. It soon became overcrowded and remained so. In April 1813 American prisoners began arriving and the overcrowding became worse. Outbreaks of diseases – pneumonia, typhoid, smallpox, etc. killed more than 11,000 Frenchmen and 271 Americans. Their graveyards and memorials are at the rear of the prison. The wars finally ended and the prisoners were repatriated, the last of them leaving in early 1816. The prison then closed until opening again as a penal establishment for criminals in 1850.

Last edited by Barry Haines; 18th August 2016 at 14:39.
    Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Foggintor Quarry Dartmoor...A7RII + 21mm Loxia
    The stone that was quarried from here went into the construction of the historic Princetown prison on Dartmoor (1806)
    History of Dartmoor Prison

Many thanks Barry. What a stunning image! WOW!
    I love the composition, light, colors, texture, mood, and the waves in the water that give it a rather graphical component as well.
    Perfect post-processing masterfully done!
    The image has your signature features, easily recognizable without reading the label. :-)
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Many thanks Barry. What a stunning image! WOW!
    I love the composition, light, colors, texture, mood, and the waves in the water that give it a rather graphical component as well.
    Perfect post-processing masterfully done!
    The image has your signature features, easily recognizable without reading the label. :-)
    Many thanks Karl, most appreciated.
    Slight change of subject...Did you finally manage to get yourself a "E" mount CV15 in the end...I know that you have Guy's "Choppie" + acquired a very nice CV10 "E" mount?
    TIA, Cheers Barry
    Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines