Site Sponsors
Page 49 of 196 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 51 59 99 149 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,450 of 9797

Thread: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

100/2 Macro Planar ZE, test lens from Zeiss:

"Only Oil"

DSC08828_HDR-BW-sharp-2.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr
    Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Werner.. tack sharp mineral oil can !
    Which 100mm lens you used?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwood View Post
    'X marks the spot' - a7r / Samyang 14/2.8
    Doug...I searched every rock pool along the North Devon coast and I just couldnt find a Y and a Z to go with your X.
    I did manage to find a shell though! (Please forgive me)...Cheers Barry

Original

Werner...Much enjoying all of your recent B&W images, Top-notch.

Louis...Excellent, these remind me of my happy working days around the Farringdon station area (Although it looks to have changed somewhat in the last 30 years).
    Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G43 View Post
    Werner.. tack sharp mineral oil can !
    Which 100mm lens you used?
    See on top of post:

100/2 Zeiss Macro Planar in Canon ZE mount and Metabones MK IV adaptor

And thanks Barry, the compliment goes right back to you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by W.Utsch View Post
    Werner, what's been your experience with the Metabones IV adapter? I had to return two of them to B&H because they didn't work as advertised.

I'm using the Metabones III at present. Aperture control, IS, AF (very slow) and automatic focus magnification when the focus ring is turned all work fine with my Canon lenses.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by W.Utsch View Post
    See on top of post:

And thanks Barry, the compliment goes right back to you!
    Many thanks Werner much appreciated.
    Like Joe I'm also interested how the 100mm ZE is working out on the new Metabones IV adapter in particular the automatic focus magnification when the focusing ring is turned (simply does it work or not, no need to elaborate).
    I'm guessing that all the ZE lenses are chipped the same way. My interest is still in the ZE 135mm F/2 (And still the Leica 100mm f/2.8 R APO)...Cheers Barry

PS. Sorry to hear about yours Joe that's either very unfortunate or a problem needing to be resolved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Haines View Post
    I'm also interested how the 100mm ZE is working out on the new Metabones IV adapter in particular the automatic focus magnification when the focusing ring is turned (simply does it work or not, no need to elaborate).
    I'm guessing that all the ZE lenses are chipped the same way.
    I rented the Otus and 2/135 ZE together with a MKIII adapter this weekend - no focus magnification when turning the ring. Aperture workes as expected.

Andreas
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Schmiddi View Post
    I rented the Otus and 2/135 ZE together with a MKIII adapter this weekend - no focus magnification when turning the ring. Aperture workes as expected.

Andreas
    Many thanks for that information Andreas, most appreciated...That was what I feared and I doubt that the Mk4 is any different from the Mk3...Cheers Barry

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Barry, I think it's not fault of adapter - the lenses are fully manual and simply won't give the info to camera. The mount is designed for EOS, and Canon SLR don't need info when focus ring is turned... It might be different with upcoming manual Zeiss lenses for E-mount? We'll hopefully learn at Photokina in a few weeks (I will be there and also have contact to Sony and Zeiss arranged by German forum).
    Andreas
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A7r, Pentax M85mm f2 @ f11

My first time ever shooting Hollywood lighting. Taken me a year to persuade this girl, one of my ex students, to allow me to photograph her, she 'hates cameras', hugely self conscious. I know harsh lighting might seem counter intuitive but here it has worked perfectly to show her in a way she is comfortable with.
    Last edited by Ben Rubinstein; 17th August 2014 at 13:21.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Reg. the Metabones:
    There is no focus magnification neither with the MK III nor with the MK IV when turning the focus ring on the lens. I think there is no information from lens to cam with the manual Zeiss lenses.
    I have to press C1 for magnification. This is no problem for me.
    With the Zeiss lenses the MK III only worked in the non green mode (= press the button on the adaptor with the cam on while adapting the lens with adaptor to the mount)
    With the MK IV it works in "green mode" as it should. I have no problem with the MK IV and Canon or Zeiss ZE lenses i think the IV is better than the III.

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks both Werner and Andreas for all this info (In all honesty it’s highly appreciated by me, as I am around 250+ miles from London where most the decent camera shops are at).
    So would I be right in saying zero ZE lens information (excluding camera/aperture control) is getting through from the lens to the A7/R/S cameras via the Metabones smart adapters 3&4?
    I thought one of the benefits of the ZE lenses and smart adapter was that the aperture and focal length exif info (but not lens model) was still being relayed back to the camera via the chipped lenses?
    (This maybe good news for lens profiles etc...) I’m not sure on this though???
    Werner your Flickr/exif is coming up as 100mm @ F/2 on the MP, so just maybe this is an extra benefit over the ZF.2 mounts.
    Sorry for banging on about it, I just wanted to be clear exactly on what is going on precisely.
    Photokina not that far away now, Many thanks again guys...Cheers Barry

Same old technique....BLENded COlour and MOnochrome in Nik SE2 (I shall nickname for speed from now on = BLENCOMO)
    Taken this afternoon at the local Gaol/Jail.

Original
    Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

some of the market fare made it home (55)
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Barry, with Zeiss ZE lenses and the Metabones III, I get everything EXCEPT distance information and automatic focus magnification when the focus ring is turned. With Canon EF lenses, all functions are available to the camera including automatic focus magnification.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Barry, with Zeiss ZE lenses and the Metabones III, I get everything EXCEPT distance information and automatic focus magnification when the focus ring is turned. With Canon EF lenses, all functions are available to the camera including automatic focus magnification.

Joe
    Many thanks Joe for clarification
    Cheers Barry

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Barry it is good for lens profiles and does work in programs like LR. It will show your using for instance a Zeiss 35F2 ZE lens and will have profile for it. That was just a example. You get aperture, lens focal length and brand also in LR
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Barry it is good for lens profiles and does work in programs like LR. It will show your using for instance a Zeiss 35F2 ZE lens and will have profile for it. That was just a example. You get aperture, lens focal length and brand also in LR

Thanks for that Guy, it was your review that you did awhile ago together with the 55mm FE and 85mm F1.4 Zeiss that has made me still want this lens.
    With all these changes in Metabones smart adapters I was having a real problem seeing exactly what it was capable of doing (or not).
    Thanks again Barry

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I actually did not like the auto magnification feature and turned it off. Reason being with the 55 let's say if I just touched the lens it activated which I did not always want to happen. I just set a custom function for it. Some may like that with the FE lenses but it will not work anyway with the metabones . I need to buy the IV version now for my canon 17TSE
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

I actually did not like the auto magnification feature and turned it off. Reason being with the 55 let's say if I just touched the lens it activated which I did not always want to happen. I just set a custom function for it. Some may like that with the FE lenses but it will not work anyway with the metabones . I need to buy the IV version now for my canon 17TSE
    Likewise - I only use the auto magnification occasionally on my 55mm FE, as you say it can be annoying at times if you so much as slightly touch the focusing ring (comforting to know its available though should you need it) Better to just custom function C1 as Werner said, thats probably what most of us do anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

With an other Zeiss test lens: 50/2 Macro Planar ZE

The Zeisses are fantastic lenses. I tested the 100/2 MP, 50/2 MP and the 21/2.8 Distagon. The last one i would buy instantly. For the 50 and 100 i have the corresponding Leica R's (100/2.8 ApoMacro and 60/2.8 Macro) wich are different but at least on the same level.

Unfortunately Zeiss did not sell the test lenses (at test lens prices) the 21 would be mine. I don't know if it is better than the 19 R or the WATE but the copy i was using was just great.

"Shells"
    HDR

DSC08999_HDR.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

21/2.8 Distagon. The best wide I ever owned.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post

Joe
    This is important information! Thanks! My gut feeling told me already not to buy the Nikon versions of Zeiss lenses but the Canon ones. I never liked the Nikon mount.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Going through somewhat older neglected files while my A7R is at Sony's repair service here in Holland. My EVF stopped functioning. Looks like I will have it back in 10 days as they told me.

Subway station under construction in Naples.

Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    This is important information! Thanks! My gut feeling told me already not to buy the Nikon versions of Zeiss lenses but the Canon ones. I never liked the Nikon mount.
    True Michiel I don't much care for it either...But the flip side of that coin is that the Nikon ZF.2 lenses will work on a lot more different makers cameras than the ZE via all the adapters out there..Sony, Leica, Fuji etc...
    But you knew that I'm sure...But it's still nice to keep your options open.
    I do think Fuji is the one to watch if Canon and Nikon don't take mirrorless serious.
    Just my 2p worth.
    Sorry to hear about your camera...Try not to go cold turkey without it
    Cheers Barry

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is another from that shoot.

I find studio shoots very difficult with manual lenses and stopped down focusing. When shooting stopped down in a dark(ish) environment the camera is applying so much gain and has so much noise that accurate stopped down focusing, difficult enough due to the DOF, is a real challenge. I decided to go back to the past. I shot off a tripod, focused wide open where with peaking it was easy and fast and then stopped down the lens and shot. These shots in a dark room with a single strobe at f11 were possible as a result. It's slow enough and rather old fashioned but hey so was the style of lighting and composition so it didn't contradict .
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Haines View Post
    So would I be right in saying zero ZE lens information (excluding camera/aperture control) is getting through from the lens to the A7/R/S cameras via the Metabones smart adapters 3&4?
    No, in EXIF you'll find focal length, max aperture, actual aperture and a lens name. So all is here - when using a ZF-mount, there will be nothing...

Andreas

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some may like that with the FE lenses but it will not work anyway with the metabones
    Automatic focus magnification works using the Metabones III and Canon EF lenses. I have the Canon 16-35mm f/4L and the Canon 100-400mm f/4L and they both activate automatic focus magnification when the focus ring is turned. You have to mount the Metabones with the camera turned on and the button on the Metabones depressed.

I need to buy the IV version now for my canon 17TSE
    I returned two of the Metabones IV adapters to B&H because they didn't work as advertised. Neither would activate auto focus magnification with the Canon EF lenses. One of the adapters had a very loose mount, and just moving the lens slightly resulted in the communication between lens and adapter to be interrupted. And both adapters appeared to have been used and returned, not good. I'm usually happy with B&H and chalk this up as an exception to their otherwise fine service.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ben,

I recently tried using the Rokinon 85 1.4 in E mount to manually focus in a studio environment using lights. While I could do it, it was very slow and painful at f11. In reality I had to go back to 1.4, focus and then stop down and hope I didn't move (or that the model didn't move). Results look fine but I tested it out yesterday and it was sent back this morning. Shooting wide open was fine but for my purposes it just wasn't a good choice. So now I debate waiting for a new lens announcement or buying the Sony Adapter and one of the A mount Sony 85's.

Your example looks great but I don't want to have to duplicate it for every shoot.

Jim

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's ok if you are in control over the shoot, i.e. a pro model or a client who is comfortable with you and/or is keeping pretty static. Like how you would shoot live subjects with sheet film for example. I think that's the closest example to be honest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post

Here is another from that shoot.

I find studio shoots very difficult with manual lenses and stopped down focusing. When shooting stopped down in a dark(ish) environment the camera is applying so much gain and has so much noise that accurate stopped down focusing, difficult enough due to the DOF, is a real challenge. I decided to go back to the past. I shot off a tripod, focused wide open where with peaking it was easy and fast and then stopped down the lens and shot. These shots in a dark room with a single strobe at f11 were possible as a result. It's slow enough and rather old fashioned but hey so was the style of lighting and composition so it didn't contradict .
    Hi Ben,
    Very nice indeed, if I had to choose a winner between them (not that you have asked me for one) I would personally go with the second shot...My personal preference is for the girl looking into the dark space rather than have quite as much dark space pressing down upon her head...perhaps a crop would swing me back in the other direction I don't know, either way they are both excellent
    I know this sort of thing is not easy having tried it before (mid 80's) using a LF camera. Focusing on a GG screen was not easy to see at all (Thank god for fresnel lenses).

Taken yesterday evening (This one might also benefit from a crop)...Cheers Barry
    (BLENCOMO) a 2 image stitch.

Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines

Post Thanks / Like

We have traveled the whole French coast.
    Now it is time for cornwall

Thanks Barry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by f 1,0 View Post
    We have traveled the whole French coast.
    Now it is time for cornwall

Thanks Barry
    Hi Carsten,
    I think I know what that wink means
    I love the French coast...Cornwall is very similar to Brittany in a lot of ways only more tourists.
    If you are serious about coming this way always happy to meet up with fellow (GetDPI) photographers...Cheers Barry

Post Thanks / Like

King's Cross Deckchairs, Granary Square, W1

A7+FE 35/2.8

-----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Barry, I actually forgot about the flange differences between Nikon and Canon. Hope you don't mind

Lots of skyscrolling is nice !

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A7r, FD 20mm @ f4 (I think)

Shooting reportage manual focus with old lenses using the A7r is really difficult. At least for me. First of all shooting with a 20mm, 50mm and 85mm, all of different ages and vastly different colour palettes is not easy. Especially when one of them turns the opposite direction than the other. Peaking in this kind of lighting is really difficult (due to the contrast) and shooting stopped down means having to zoom in to focus which is slow. The light coming through the windows begged for modern lens coatings which especially my 20mm and 85mm could really have done with. Oh and shooting reportage with a 20mm manual focus and peaking is pretty much impossible. Funnily enough, lag, with the lumina shutter release and having gotten used to it is a lot better than it once was.

Oh well it's not something I didn't know but the synagogue called me up and asked me to take a few photos at an event, I told them I could only try given that I didn't have any of the right gear. I will say this though, the AWB and skin colour in a mix of different coloured fluorescents and sunlight was unbelievable. Incredible. I wish, I so wish I had this sensor for a decade of wedding shooting!

Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now come on Henry, don't let it get to you.......

(no personal intentions ment here whoever's name might be Henry )

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Now come on Henry, don't let it get to you.......
    Too late I think it already has!

Taken a couple of days ago over at Padstow (BLENCOMO treatment, hence the noise)...Cheers Barry

Original
    Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

"Antiques"

DSC08729.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Taken yesterday at Coverack on the Lizard...Cruise ship leaving Falmouth (BLENCOMO)...Cheers Barry

Original
    Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines

Post Thanks / Like

"Hidden Bridge"

Distagon 21/2.8 ZE

DSC09287_HDR-BW-sharp.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Cornell's Newman Arboretum, ponds overlook. Horrible lighting and humid tropical airmass (dewpoint was in the 70s). A 4 shot stitch using A7R on a Cambo Actus view camera with Rodenstock APO 100mm f/5.6 Sironar-S.

Original
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quiet a set up Carl! Detail looks good except the left side is a bit muddy. Strange, must have something to do with the alignment. Is it up to the DPm2 detail quality?
    Love to see more with other lenses as well. And how does the set up look? Quiet small I believe. Snapshot?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A7r, FE 24-70mm f4, Lombard church, Spain

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Molieres, Spain, A7r, FE 24-70mm f4

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quiet a set up Carl! Detail looks good except the left side is a bit muddy. Strange, must have something to do with the alignment. Is it up to the DPm2 detail quality?
    Love to see more with other lenses as well. And how does the set up look? Quiet small I believe. Snapshot?
    Yes, I was trying to work too fast because of an approaching T storm and I may have nudged the focus or swing adjustment knobs. Some snaps below of the setup which is indeed quite compact and versatile.

Hasselblad 60mm Distagon f/3.5 CF

Lens plates are notched on the bottom and slip over a locking screw that is locked down with the silver lever. Bellows snaps on magnetically.

Nikkor-SW 65mm f/4

Rear view. Shift slides L/R Rise/Fall is geared

Two shot stitch with the 60 distagon, f/11, 1.5 degrees tilt.

Same with the 65 Nikkor-SW

Hasselblad 120mm Makro-Planar, f/11, two degrees tilt

Hasselblad 40mm FLE Distagon

Last edited by scho; 22nd August 2014 at 09:38. Reason: add image
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Carl, for the effort!
    Looks very well made that Cambo Actus!
    The Nikon lens does rather well compared to the Zeiss Hasselblad lenses. Incredable detail in that 120 Macro Planar shot, you see every drop and the for ever inevitable paintjobs to be done

Quiet a collection of MF lenses already!