Site Sponsors
Page 53 of 196 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 103 153 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,650 of 9795

Thread: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Haines View Post
    Dave...Good question.
    Don't I know it, it's this thought alone that is holding me back.
    If the FE turns out to be a MF Loxia 135mm f2.8 which I have a nagging feeling is what they will go with...I will be back to the ZA,ZE, ZF.2 choices...Cheers Barry

SO the ZA would still be high on my list...if not the 135 F 2 ZF.2

Bob
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
    None of your "argument" would have any value in front of any US Human Resource department or local decency laws, and this us US based board with US based owners and mainly US based membership. Who is biggest consumers of what, or any other theatrics based "argument" is completely irrelevant, laws are laws, rules are rules, respect is respect. Until they are way they are you are obliged to abide by them. No amount of anything changes that.
    I bow to no man on Vimeo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Werner and Georg....Please, please, please STOP posting 135mm f1.8 images...I'm currently logged into PAYPAL with a twitchy finger...Cheers Barry
    Barry, if I am not mistaken, a SSM Version is supposed to come as well. Having said that, as Werner observed, it is focussing quick and accurate even without SSM, but I imagine on superfast cameras like the A77MKII or A6000 this could make a difference.

Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The ZA 135 1.8 is a lens to reckon with. Just has a great look outside its resolving power.

Okay John we go back to old school to post from your phone. Write your post than go to the button go advanced than hit manage attachments and it can take you to your camera roll than pick image hit upload than submit.

Now I think you can even do from your streaming library as well. So let's as you have real shots that you loaded up to your streaming iCloud account than you could do one of those on the road.

This is a nice feature if your out in the field or location and reading the forum and maybe you want to add a comment and image to a thread that your reading. This could be a nice way to do that for everyone. Give it a go

For us workshop folks in the field it just might be a way to show a image your working on in main camera take a iPhone shot and post to the forum. This could be a nice trick for the forum .
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Georg Baumann View Post
    Barry, if I am not mistaken, a SSM Version is supposed to come as well. Having said that, as Werner observed, it is focussing quick and accurate even without SSM, but I imagine on superfast cameras like the A77MKII or A6000 this could make a difference.

Yea I heard this as well. It maybe a good upgrade for some, myself not sure just yet even though I shoot the A77Ii for AF and speed it's not bad as it is today. But certainly we can look at it. Case in point the 70-200 SSM is a rocket at AF. For current owners it will come down to a need issue. Unless they do a upgraded formula which I doubt.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Truthfully the FE lenses may be stellar but they lack that sense of impregnability that the ZA ZE ZF.2 lenses exude...

SO the ZA would still be high on my list...if not the 135 F 2 ZF.2

Bob
    Many thanks Bob, I think you are spot on with your assessment of what is currently available in the Sony Zeiss FE camp Vs. the existing Zeiss ZE/ZA/ZF.2 lenses on offer...Although the SAR rumour leads me to believe that the new Zeiss Loxia MF range (if true) might well be in a different build quality league altogether from the current Sony Zeiss FE lenses (But then on the other hand I doubt very much that they will be an improvement upon the current Zeiss ZE/ZA/ZF.2 lens range in terms of IQ and build quality etc...) All will be revealed soon I am sure...I hope that made sense as I am pretty sleepy right this moment in time, so chat later...Cheers Barry

Post Thanks / Like

Good point Georg, I'm getting more and more confused what to do....BTW. Stop posting those 135mm images

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Barry,

That would be the best of all worlds...they can build world-class lenses when they so desire...hope they take this market seriously.

Sweet dreams...the time difference is tough.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Yea I heard this as well. It maybe a good upgrade for some, myself not sure just yet even though I shoot the A77Ii for AF and speed it's not bad as it is today. But certainly we can look at it. Case in point the 70-200 SSM is a rocket at AF. For current owners it will come down to a need issue. Unless they do a upgraded formula which I doubt.
    I think that would be a great upgrade for you Guy, especially when the A99ii comes along...Chat later I'm off to bed...Cheers Barry

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay folks. One more comment on the "was it art or not" subject and I'll hand out 7-day bans and lock this thread down.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
    Anna T, I am sure I could find number of things somebody considers "art" yet other posters here would find very offensive and not appropriate to post here / expose them to it. Are you truly willing to open that can of worms?
    Zoran,

your issue was discussed and has been decided on. It would be nice if this thread here can now return to it's usual exchange.

There is a thread that discusses your concerns and objections where you could participate:

When is a picture / post NSFW or just an environmental picture?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Zoran,

your issue was discussed and has been decided on. It would be nice if this thread here can now return to it's usual exchange.
    Georg,

If you are going to play "forum cop" please do me a favor and:

1. Extend same treatment toward others that continued posting before me, like Annna T.

2. Notice Jack already stepped in and he, unlike you, _is_ a forum administrator, your posting after him is not helping things die off as he requested.

Thank you in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack, please don't close it. I really enjoy the pictures here.
    I think there will be silence from now on, on that issue.
    best
    Thorkil
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If anyone is interested, just back from testing the FD 24mm f2, it is very very very good. By f4 the corners are sharpening up but by f5.6 they are really good. By f8 the entire frame, center and corners requires me to back down on my default sharpening. Here is a RAW file shot at f11 (needed to hold DOF front to back, focus on centre tree).
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Michiel...I also tried my 25/f2.8 and 35/f2 Biogon's on the A7R and was highly disappointed like others, ended up selling them both soon after...Although they both worked fantastic on the Nex6 and 5N.
    I'm only guessing but was your image taken on a 35mm Biogon?...Hard to believe that IQ was squeezed out of the 25mm Biogon (If it was I am in awe ).
    The SAR is suggesting a 35mm and 50mm f2 (no mention of a 25mm unfortunately) (SR5) First Zeiss Loxia will be a 35mm f/2.0 and 50mm f/2.0 lens. | sonyalpharumors
    No, with the 25 but I did cut of some of long the sides, the center remains reasonable sharp. To many strange colours and smearing on the long sides.
    The sides still are a little ugly.
    May be I should sell it as well

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    If anyone is interested, just back from testing the FD 24mm f2, it is very very very good. By f4 the corners are sharpening up but by f5.6 they are really good. By f8 the entire frame, center and corners requires me to back down on my default sharpening. Here is a RAW file shot at f11 (needed to hold DOF front to back, focus on centre tree).
    It is a good lens, I love mine. So there is a good option in that range already.

BTW Ben, didn't you like the corners of that 18 Distagon file?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    Michiel...I love doing photographic detective work, I find it's quite amazing just what a 1200px wide image can reveal.
    Nice Selfie BTW.

1. You like to photograph on the streets on your own and wish to blend in without being noticed or drawing attention to yourself.

2. You are medium to slim-ish build.

3. You are happy to shoot one handed if it brings less attention to you.

4. You are right handed.

5. You favour Billingham or Billingham canvas style bags preferably Black/ leather Tan trimmed...Which you always hang over your right shoulder.

6. You generally try not to appear in your own window reflection images.

7. You still have your own hair and don't always wear a cap.

How did I score? Netherlands 1 England (0-7)

All meant as a harmless bit of fun.

Re: The 25mm Biogon. If it turned out that it was the 25mm, then I thought you must have at least trimmed it down the sides, none the less you have my respect RE: The colour shift handling.

Personally I just didn't find the smearing in the corners or the colour shift edges acceptable on the A7R, the 35mm Biogon was borderline acceptable and the 50mm ZM Planar was excellent...No I wouldn't sell the 25mm if we all end up getting Sony curved sensors sometime in the future, that would be my advice (I already have regrets selling mine)....Cheers Barry

My 4 lightweight beauties... https:[email protected]/7042701703/

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is a good lens, I love mine. So there is a good option in that range already.

BTW Ben, didn't you like the corners of that 18 Distagon file?
    Hi, first of all thanks again for that file! Honest answer, I didn't see anything better than my FD 20mm and as I have that already and it's considerably cheaper, I can't see a reason to change. Does that make sense?
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Michiel...I love doing photographic detective work, I find it's quite amazing just what a 1200px wide image can reveal.
    Nice Selfie BTW.

1. You like to photograph on the streets on your own and wish to blend in without being noticed or drawing attention to yourself.

4. You are right handed.

5. You favour Billingham or Billingham canvas style bags preferably Black/ leather Tan trimmed...Which you always hang over your right shoulder.

All meant as a harmless bit of fun.

Re: The 25mm Biogon. If it turned out that it was the 25mm, then I thought you must have at least trimmed it down the sides, none the less you have my respect RE: The colour shift handling.

Personally I just didn't find the smearing in the corners or the colour shift edges acceptable on the A7R, the 35mm Biogon was borderline acceptable and the 50mm ZM Planar was excellent...No I wouldn't sell the 25mm if we all end up getting Sony curved sensors sometime in the future, that would be my advice (I already have regrets selling mine)....Cheers Barry

My 4 lightweight beauties... https:[email protected]/7042701703/
    Very good Sherlock! Minus one point; I try not to be a snob and it is also in conflict with point 1

Your sincerely,
    Dr Watson

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love the lay out of my previous post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi, first of all thanks again for that file! Honest answer, I didn't see anything better than my FD 20mm and as I have that already and it's considerably cheaper, I can't see a reason to change. Does that make sense?
    The FD is good as well but a bit less wide and also bigger especially with that huge hood. I prefer the C/Y Zeiss rendering a bit.

But sure it makes sense especially if you have more FDlenses in your bag.
    And money is always a big factor.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not bad but I prefer the look of Netherlands 2 England 6
    I can afford one own goal ....Best Re: Sherlock

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The FD is good as well but a bit less wide and also bigger especially with that huge hood. I prefer the C/Y Zeiss rendering a bit.

But sure it makes sense especially if you have more FDlenses in your bag.
    And money is always a big factor.
    Hood? Who can afford the hood? it's selling for about $80 on ebay!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dufus here was looking at the pics from his new 24mm with the raw downrezzed to 12 megapixels, no wonder it was so spectacularly sharp! It's a good trick actually on these cameras, if a lens isn't sharp enough, sacrifice a few megapixels, downrez and hey presto it's incredible!

Shot one after the other, in comparison to the FD 24mm f2.8, I actually find the 2.8 a hair sharper though it's eyes bleeding pixel peeping territory. The f2.8 has a colder and more clinical rendition/contrast. In other words the f2 stays! I like a more relaxed rendering and the extra stop even if it means a slightly bigger lens and slightly less sharp, especially when it's only very very slightly I can upload the comparison file from the 2.8 if you want Barry. The f2 lens wide open also has a really nice soft/haze feel to it, similar though not quite as dramatic as my Tak Super 35mm f2 but with better colour due to the modern coatings. By f2.8 it is very sharp already, peaks at f5.6-8 and then diffraction kicks in.
    Last edited by Ben Rubinstein; 28th August 2014 at 05:17.

Post Thanks / Like

Dufus here was looking at the pics from his new 24mm with the raw downrezzed to 12 megapixels, no wonder it was so spectacularly sharp! It's a good trick actually on these cameras, if a lens isn't sharp enough, sacrifice a few megapixels, downrez and hey presto it's incredible!

Shot one after the other, in comparison to the FD 24mm f2.8, I actually find the 2.8 a hair sharper though it's eyes bleeding pixel peeping territory. The f2.8 has a colder and more clinical rendition. In other words the f2 stays! I like a more relaxed rendering and the extra stop even if it means a slightly bigger lens and slightly less sharp, especially when it's only very very slightly I can upload the comparison file from the 2.8 if you want Barry. The f2 wide open also has a really nice soft/haze feel to it, similar though not quite as dramatic as my Tak Super 35mm f2 but with better colour due to the modern coatings. By f2.8 it is very sharp already, peaks at f8 and then diffraction kicks in.
    Thanks Ben, That does seem to tie in with the general consensus over at photodotnet, that the f2 is preferred very slightly over the f2.8, not that the f2.8 is by any means a duff lens...Thank you for the kind offer of the download but I am more than happy to except your take on it.
    No point in keeping both of them it seems if the difference in sharpness is that minimal that you have to pixel peep, the character of the lens and the extra stop are more beneficial if the weight is close-ish...Cheers Barry
    Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You mean you don't want bleeding eyes from pixel peeping two images layered on top of each other at 100%, clicking the little eye icon on the layers tab again and again and again till it gets to the point where you would happily conclude that a spoon is sharper than a knife?

Post Thanks / Like

You mean you don't want bleeding eyes from pixel peeping two images layered on top of each other at 100%, clicking the little eye icon on the layers tab again and again and again till it gets to the point where you would happily conclude that a spoon is sharper than a knife?
    You seem to got the gist of it

Post Thanks / Like

"Almost: No More Sun"

DSC09684.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Striped Rat of the Woods - Rattus Striatus Sylvatica.

(More commonly known as a Chipmunk, Tamias Striatus.)!!!

Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Barry Haines; 29th August 2014 at 02:37.
    Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines

Post Thanks / Like

Port Townsend, WA.

All images shot with A7 + FE35 2.8 and FE55 1.8

Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I Like this set Dave, esp. #2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A7r + 70-200mm f4
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My intention was always to post these 2 images together (To tired last night to finish what I started – So apologies for re-posting one of them).
    The idea was that they both depicted the two extremes of mans hardship either traveling on the outer surface of the planet in blinding white snow in the freezing cold and the other heading towards the center of the planet in the pitch black...Barry

Original

Original
    Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines

Post Thanks / Like

" May There Be Light"

DSC09808.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice Selfie BTW.

4. You are right handed.

A
    Hilarious! Reminds me of Audrey Tautou chasing the photo booth man in Amelie.

I'll sneak in a quickie of the young one with the ZM85.

Ben
    Perth, Australia

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    Port Townsend, WA.

All images shot with A7 + FE35 2.8 and FE55 1.8

All of these you posted are good, but this one is quite special.

You don't have to post them in such a large size, however. They slow down trying to look at this thread quite a lot if I'm not on a fast network. 1200pixels on the long edge is large enough...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    All of these you posted are good, but this one is quite special.

You don't have to post them in such a large size, however. They slow down trying to look at this thread quite a lot if I'm not on a fast network. 1200pixels on the long edge is large enough...
    Thanks Godfrey. Apologies for the size. I had reduced them before posting, but not enough. I've replaced the linked images with smaller versions.

Port Townsend is an awesome place, I've enjoyed myself every time I have been there. We were visiting family in Seattle and made that day trip. I'd have loved to have spent more time there as the photographic possibilities are endless. However, there were four (!) toddlers amongst us, so I was lucky to get what I did. Later in the trip I went solo to the Olympic peninsula. Hopefully there will be images to post when I finish post processing.

The B/W images were pre-imagined at the time I took them. It's one of those great moments where the finished image in my head followed through to the final result.

Post Thanks / Like

A few shots from " Haut Koenigsbourg Castle" France Alsace (all with 70-200 and A7)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From a studio shoot this week. Trying out the Sony 85 2.8 lens on an A7r. A friend who is a model and actress.
    -Jim

Juliet by jmmtampa, on Flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For Sherlock!

- The invicible caught -

Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

"Holy Sand, Jewish Cemetery V"
    Zeiss 18/3.5 ZE

DSC09761.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

Have to edit,
    thats a special shot, Michiel, bravissiomo! You got your cam back?
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No, it can take another 14 days the rep told me

Post Thanks / Like

St Andrews Church, Greensted, near Ongar in Essex - a unique wooden structured church, claimed as the oldest wooden building in Europe. Built approximately 1060AD (just before the Norman conquest).

Sony A7+CV 21/1.8 - tripod shot.

You can see a comparison shot taken with my DP2M here.
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for you Michiel!
    Louis, nice shot - the DP2M is still extremely good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

- The invicible caught -

Now THAT is superb!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by W.Utsch View Post
    Sorry for you Michiel!
    Louis, nice shot - the DP2M is still extremely good.
    Werner

Thanks!

Whenever I do a comparison between the DP2M and the A7, I start preferring the DP2M and end up preferring the A7. The A7 is not as sharp or detailed but you can't beat the 'look'. Although, some of that may be the excellent CV 21/1.8 Ultron.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

For Sherlock!

- The invicible caught -

This image is really really good.