Site Sponsors
Page 62 of 197 FirstFirst ... 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 72 112 162 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,100 of 9828

Thread: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

Michiel - wow!
    Last edited by dwood; 18th October 2014 at 20:54.
    www.douglaswoodphotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dwood View Post
    Michael - wow!
    +1

Jim
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

@Barry,
    Two first-rate shots of the pier - Clevedon, if I'm not mistaken?

The first (B&W) is superb - well seen! The second is simple and (as per the title...) elegant. I like the processing very much - did you post-process from Raw, or is that straight from the camera?

Post Thanks / Like

"Autumn Wine IV and V"

DSC00457.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

DSC00472.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tbhv55 View Post
    @Barry,
    Two first-rate shots of the pier - Clevedon, if I'm not mistaken?

The first (B&W) is superb - well seen! The second is simple and (as per the title...) elegant. I like the processing very much - did you post-process from Raw, or is that straight from the camera?
    Many thanks tbhv55, glad you liked them both....You are correct it is Clevedon pier in Somerset, well spotted a beautiful pier for sure.

This was processed from RAW converted to DNG (CS4)...I always take both a RAW and a jpg at the same time (I use the jpg only to quickly analyse the image before starting on the RAW image)
    I have included the SOOC jpg as a before and after so you can see the differences in processing.

Before...

After...

GetDPI is a sharing community so here is my typical workflow as best as I can remember for you or anybody who is interested (apologies to those who are not).

RAW>DNG>CS (ACR..Only basic corrections like exposure, vignetting etc...) open.

When in CS straighten up the images horizon and then correct perspective and crop...Save as a Tiff.

Open the Tiff into LR and then Export to Mogrify 2 LR/Mogrify 2 - Add Watermarks, Border and Text Annotions to Images Exported by Adobe Lightroom 2 the image (In other words add a preset frame with title, author and lens info etc.)

Re-open back into CS (for Labcolor processing) and run this free downsizing/sharpening Web Sharpener CS4+ script Web Sharpener - Better Sharpening for the WebAndreas Resch – Naturfotografie
    Andreas Resch - Websharpener script is just wonderful IMO, you can control the final output size (I use 1600x1600px maximum output for Flickr) and the actual amount of sharpening on layers together with contrast and saturation...I have pretty well tried most downsizing sharpeners out there, this is my favourite for sure but it can only be done in CS4 (or above) because it steps down in increments using the Lab color method.

Once happy with the image flatten off the layers off and convert the Lab colour to SRGB and save as a new Tiff.

Zoom into the corner where the image touches the frame and make a selection around the image only (This means all changes from now on in only have a effect upon the image itself and not the frame)...Make a thin black, grey or white (penline 1 px wide your choice) using Edit>Stroke.

BLENCOMO (BLENding COlour with MOno) treatment.
    Keeping the same selection (marching ants) and now open filters (Nik software Silver Efex Pro 2)...I use a slight variant Preset of my own which is very similar to the std. Preset *015 included - but with less noise.> OK. (It’s like getting an instant black and white TONEMAPPED image which adds some drama to an image...vary the SOFT CONTRAST slider to taste or even add a tone like, sepia, selenium etc... should you so wish).

Go to the Layers and fade the opacity to around 50% (It much depends on the colour within the image itself) and then flatten off the layers, you should now have a pastel coloured image which needs bringing back to colour life by adjusting the (Image>Adjustments>Vibrance) Vary the vibrance and saturation to taste.

Still with the selection on use the graduated filter to Colour Burn down the Sky (Edit>FADE GRADIENT) and the Ground up (Edit>FADE GRADIENT) to form a base for the image.

Correct the White balance (I use Pictocolour PictoColor Software: Color Correction Software and Photoshop Plugins ).

Final step...Auto Contrast (Edit>FADE CONTAST) whilst watching the Histogram doesn’t burn out the Highlights...Add some curves, dodge tool (highlight) along pier strip and clone out birds and insects flying in the sky, deselect selection and save as a jpg....Takes me about 30-40 minutes most images.

Hope that gives you some insight to my typical workflow....Cheers Barry
    Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines
    Likes 15 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    About this picture, I posted before: At the time I took this picture a guy wanted to jump from the Madame Tussauds building. Police officers were talking him out of this bad idea.
    On the detail you can see one of the police guys talking to him. An inflatable was already placed under the building in case of. He didn't jump and was brought to a hospital for mental care. This is what we red the same day in a newspaper laying around in the New York metro.

Michiel...The news story adds a whole new dimension to that image, thanks for sharing it with us all.
    Cheers Barry
    Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines

Post Thanks / Like

^^^^ Barry, thanks for sharing your workflow ^^^^

LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Barry +1

I enjoyed seeing how you work.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

quick shots from my front yard..... ;-)
    http://hodad66.com Sony A7r,A7II, Sony 70-300G, Rokinon 14/2.8, Leitz Wetzler 35/3.5, Leica R Summicron 50/2 & Elmarit 90mm/2.8, Contax N 24-85 & 70--200mm AND Canon FD 20/2.8, 135/2, 500mm 4.5, Minolta 35/1.8, 45mm/2, Nikon 28-50/3.5, 105/1.8, 180/2.8
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Barry! It was later that I saw a photo of about the same situation in a newspaper. Our photographs must have been made at about the same time.

Also thank for taking the time for showing your workflow. You sure spend a lot of time per image for images for the web! But it does show!
    I do not always have that patience, I do spend more time on them for printing.
    I do use Andreas Resch Websharpener as well which does a great job.

New York window

Last edited by Michiel Schierbeek; 19th October 2014 at 15:45.
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Silo city, Buffalo.

Abandoned Silos

I wish I had a TS lens for this kind of work
    Michiel, I know exactly how you feel when shooting with SWA and WA lenses in this sort of situation.

Having in this instance disposed of over half the file after levelling, correcting perspective, barrel distortion (via PTLens) and then the usual final crop, we invariably end up treating our FF cameras like APS-C or even MFT cameras at times.
    I am already at 16mm on the WATE trying to get this all in If I stepped back any further I would be in the Bristol Channel No way am I going to stitch 16mm images together
    I can envisage Carl smiling as he reads this...No problem just get a Cambo Aptus and an APO Grandagon.
    None the less looking at the “ORIGINAL” I am fairly happy how it all turned out...But then I wouldn’t want to make an A2 print from it either.

PS.
    Thank you Louis, Jim and Michiel for your kind words, I like to share :sleep006:
    My workflow varies constantly but this is basically what I do most of the time in short nowadays...I do spend even longer making an A2 print believe it or not.

Werner, I swear that 135mm lens of yours is improving with age, like those glorious Autumn vineyards of yours in Germany...”The Eiswein Cometh”
    I have only just spotted the Masonic “All seeing Eye” in the very centre "Cupola Enlightened II" of your Jesuit Church, Mannheim...nicely seen and brilliantly executed as usual.

Hodad66, excellent manually focused surfing shots, who needs AF.

Michiel, Websharpener is ideal for GetDPI as long as you have CS4 or higher which you obviously have...Well worth a try for anybody with CS4 or above who hasn't tried it already yet.

Cheers Barry

Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines

Post Thanks / Like

'lose something?' - a7r / FE 55

Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

New York window

Post Thanks / Like

@ Barry: UPSTAIRS CAFE CLEVEDON PIER: I see some severe pixelation above the highest roofridge of the cafe

Great shot!
    My Pics

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow ! I'm really a fan of your window dressing series (and of your other urbanscapes), but especially of the window dressings. And this one is particularly good.

New York window

Last edited by Annna T; 20th October 2014 at 07:23.

Post Thanks / Like

Barry: Thank you very much Sir!
    Your Pier Series is adorable. Wish we have Piers here...

Here is one, PP with your recipe BLENCOMO (used it sometimes before), added Highpass filter on the BW:

"Strahlenburg, Schriesheim"

DSC00489-660.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr
    Last edited by W.Utsch; 20th October 2014 at 07:13.
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Annna T.

One day I will make a book out of it, when the time is right and if I can raise the money.

Here's another one from New York.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Working on a housing project with a custom home builder. I still have much more to shoot but just for grins this house is 14,000 square feet under roof with a 3k square ft guest house and a 4k garage for car collector. This property is massive and I need to do aerials as well. Amazing and its all masonry build which is rare in the desert.

Canon 17mm TSE

This is the garage for car collecting

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=Guy Mancuso;607194]
    "...and a 4k garage for car collector."

What a fabulous place! How the other half live, huh?
    By the way Guy, is that a genuine 4k garage or does it need hooking up to an Atomos Shogun first?

Post Thanks / Like

The thread is dedicated to both A7 and A7R, but the overwhelming majority of images seem to be made with the A7R.

So... A7R or A7 users, what made you choose one or the other? And now that you have used it for quite some time, would you make the same choice again?

And a subsidiary question: what about using the A7R handheld?
    -- Bernard

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

bcf
    A7r - for resolution
    98% of my shots with the a7r have been handheld

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A7r with 70-200

Rented the 70-200 and the picture quality seemed excellent but I thought it hunted more than I liked as it grew darker outside.

Jim

Captain by jmmtampa, on Flickr
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcf View Post
    The thread is dedicated to both A7 and A7R, but the overwhelming majority of images seem to be made with the A7R.

So... A7R or A7 users, what made you choose one or the other? And now that you have used it for quite some time, would you make the same choice again?

I chose both actually.

I shot probably half of my safari shots with a Zeiss Contax/Yashica 180/2.8 shot handheld or from a vehicle so the A7r isn't a problem with a bit of care.
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A streamscape detail image that was shot at the same time as the Fall Creek series posted yesterday in the Sony Tech Camera thread. This is cropped from a single frame shot taken with the A7R on the Cambo Actus with Rodenstock APO-Grandagon 55mm f/4.5 lens. ISO 100, f/11, no movements. Click image for full size original. A lot of textural contrasts and fine detail.

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by W.Utsch View Post
    Barry: Thank you very much Sir!
    Your Pier Series is adorable. Wish we have Piers here...

Here is one, PP with your recipe BLENCOMO (used it sometimes before), added Highpass filter on the BW:

"Strahlenburg, Schriesheim"

Sorry I didn’t reply earlier...I just picked up a new Sony A6000 today in Plymouth...Got back late.
    Thank you so much Werner...You know I equally respect your work as I do others here...You are a perfectionist in executing your images at both the taking and processing stages.
    It seems you have already got the knack of doing the BLENCOMO treatment better than myself ...I just tried the Highpass filter on a duplicate copy BW layer and it does look good I just need to practice it a bit further.

Michiel...You really should do a book on your window series , you can put my name down for a copy as long as you don’t price it like Helmut Newton's SUMO

Pegelli...Many thanks Pieter - I think!....I know you have young keen eyes so you are probably correct, my eyesight isn’t what it used to be....Now go and pick on somebody else

Guy...What a marvelous place and I just love those giant cacti...Although they only grow to about 5 inches high here in the UK

bcf....99.9% handheld nowadays with A7R (FF formats and smaller) but then I rarely shoot with long lenses.

Jim... Re: Captain...What piercing penetrating eyes that lady has.

Carl...Always so much detail in those Cambo Actus images of yours....I like this one in particular, especially the full size version.

Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A7r and 55

Obviously I was on a Halloween shoot.

Jim

Vikings by jmmtampa, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Barry,
    Many thanks for the comprehensive post-processing description - I was expecting just a couple of sentences, but you certainly provided 'chapter-and-verse'...! Very interesting, and you're getting great results.

As it happens, I was also in Plymouth yesterday, but I didn't notice anyone photographing shop windows, using a shiny brand new A6000...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hodad66 View Post
    quick shots from my front yard..... ;-)
    Wow - that's some front yard...!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    A7r - for resolution
    98% of my shots with the a7r have been handheld
    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm
    I shot probably half of my safari shots with a Zeiss Contax/Yashica 180/2.8 shot handheld or from a vehicle so the A7r isn't a problem with a bit of care.
    Thanks! So, would you say that you do benefit from the resolution, even handheld? Do you need particularly high shutter speeds? With a 180, sure, but say with the 35 or 55?

What is the size of the A7 and A7R files?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Haines
    99.9% handheld nowadays with A7R (FF formats and smaller) but then I rarely shoot with long lenses.
    By "smaller", do you mean you sometimes use the APS format?
    -- Bernard

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Buffalo

Post Thanks / Like

'passing storm at sea' - a7r / FE 55

Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bernard,

You need a higher shutter speed no matter what lens you choose if you shoot with a camera with more pixels such as the A7r. It would be nice to see all the lenses stabilized like using an E-M1 but the files from the A7r are beautiful.

The A7r files are around 35MP.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I chose the A7R due to the resolution of the sensor. And yes, I would definitely chose this model again. It's like a D800E that fits in your (large) jacket pocket, which is exactly what I was looking for. Granted, 36MP are not what you need for every shot, but when you do, and if the conditions permit technique that maximises IQ, it's an unbeatable system at this point in time. I primarily use Leica-R and Zeiss ZF.2 lenses with the A7R.

Up to now, I've shot about half/half hand-held and from tripod. For hand-held work, I try to shoot at shutter speeds of 1/3f or faster. This has worked well even in challenging situations, e.g. when working from a small boat in a slight sea state.

All in all a terrific camera. The only other camera I'm using at the moment is the RX-100 MkIII for situations where I need something even more portable.

HTH,

Ron

Edit: I would like to add that IBIS and EFC would make this camera close to perfect for my needs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Pfister View Post
    : I would like to add that IBIS and EFC would make this camera close to perfect for my needs.
    Even one of the above would get me to buy the next generation. Both would be fantastic (but IBIS is unlikely)

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One more from Sunday - a little photo manipulation going on here for effect - after all it was a Halloween shoot

Jim

Druids Among Us by jmmtampa, on Flickr
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Ron and Jim.

Up to now, I've shot about half/half hand-held and from tripod. For hand-held work, I try to shoot at shutter speeds of 1/3f or faster. This has worked well even in challenging situations, e.g. when working from a small boat in a slight sea state.
    Does this mean that you need to use higher ISOs? Up to which level would you comfortably go on the A7R?

Edit: I would like to add that IBIS and EFC would make this camera close to perfect for my needs.
    -- Bernard

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I chose both actually.

Now that you have used both cameras, do you feel a difference in build quality between A7 and A7R?
    -- Bernard

Post Thanks / Like

Does this mean that you need to use higher ISOs?
    That depends a lot on how much light you have available, of course. When shooting in low light, I usually use a tripod.

Up to which level would you comfortably go on the A7R?
    That depends a lot on final use of the image. I consider up to ISO 1600 as safe territory for large prints (32x24") if need be, but I try to stay below ISO 800 whenever possible. For web use, the sky's the limit…

Last edited by Ron Pfister; 21st October 2014 at 10:59. Reason: Replaced image with sRGB version

Post Thanks / Like

NB: the above image was taken at Skomer Island, Pembrokeshire. An amazing place that's well worth a visit!

While I'm on the subject of birds, here a few more, all of them taken at Látrabjarg in NW Iceland. This is the most impressive seabird breeding colony I have seen to date. Not to be missed if you're in the Western Fjords region of Iceland!

Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

MOMA in NY

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

MOMA in NY

Shouldn't it look like this:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Why Joe?

I found the painting more important then the woman, isn't that funny.
    It does not seem to mean Out of office.

Rarely uttered aloud, the work "oof" belongs to the world of comic strips, not the great literature and art, and particularly not to painting. We expect the emphatic word to appear wrapped in a speech bubble with an exclamation point at the end, but Ruscha has dedicated a large-scale painting to it as if it were worthy of veneration. Of his work from this period Ruscha has said, "I was interested in monosyllabic word sounds that seemed to have a certain comedic value to them." In capital letters, "oof" floats against an empty blue backdrop, suspended somewhere between image and language and between iconicity and absurdity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Why Joe?
    In my narrow photographic world, "oof" means "out of focus". My humor tends to be less than obvious. My apologies to the artist and to you Michiel.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    In my narrow photographic world, "oof" means "out of focus". My humor tends to be less than obvious. My apologies to the artist and to you Michiel.

Joe
    Joe, he can't help it - You know the poor old boy is knocking on a bit!
    You have too make a few allowances for him at his time of life

(Yes, I know I have said it B4...But it seemed even more appropriate this time).

Hilarious....Nice one Michiel

Sorry everybody, I just couldn't resist adding this one.

Last edited by Barry Haines; 22nd October 2014 at 09:26.
    Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines

Post Thanks / Like

Some tremendous images here and its really impressing me what people are doing with these cameras. It makes a mockery of all the criticism and whinging about some of their flaws. Its about getting out there and using them hard for what they do well (which is a lot)!!!!

I'm loving my A7 and A7R and will keep updating with documentary images from Afghanistan, such as the aerial shots here: Aerial Documentary Project Work with the A7R!

Plenty more images to come from this body of work. I'm aiming for about six fifteen shot portfolios and loving every minute of it.
    Last edited by turtle; 23rd October 2014 at 03:42.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! So, would you say that you do benefit from the resolution, even handheld? Do you need particularly high shutter speeds? With a 180, sure, but say with the 35 or 55?

What is the size of the A7 and A7R file
    Hello, just getting back around to answer questions. The A7 files usually sit around 24MB per image and the A7r is usually right around 37MB.

I would say if you aren't going to print you may not notice as much difference and maybe the A7 or A7s would be a better fit for you. The A7 is slightly better than the A7r at handling noise at higher ISO at 100% viewing on a monitor. It's comparable to a extra fine grain versus a fine grain. Both do a great job though and I'm comfortable printing larger sized color prints in the ISO3200-4000 range and up to 6400 for grayscale images. That's all personal preference though.

As for shutter speed the bulk of my daytime Safari shots were taken at higher shutter speeds but that had more to do with bright midday near equatorial sunlight than the camera. Some were as low at 1/200 (probably f/8 or f/11) and some as high as 1/2000 (more than likely those were at f/4 or f/5.6.) In either case here's a link to my flickr page... There's a few of the shots on there mixed in with some M9 and Panasonic G1 for good measure.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/m3rq/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that you have used both cameras, do you feel a difference in build quality between A7 and A7R?
    No there's not real discernible difference in quality without close and careful inspection. The A7r has magnesium dials and all magnesium body. The A7 has fancy plastic dials and a half fancy plastic/ half magnesium body. You couldn't tell though without someone mentioning it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Some tremendous images here and its really impression me what people are doing with these cameras. It makes a mockery of all the criticism and whinging about some of their flaws. Its about getting out there and using them hard for what they do well (which is a lot)!!!!

I'm loving my A7 and A7R and will keep updating with documentary images from Afghanistan, such as the aerial shots here: Aerial Documentary Project Work with the A7R!

Plenty more images to come from this body of work. I'm aiming for about six fifteen shot portfolios and loving every minute of it.
    Cool shot. What part of AFG is that?