Site Sponsors
Page 92 of 197 FirstFirst ... 42 82 90 91 92 93 94 102 142 192 ... LastLast
Results 4,551 to 4,600 of 9842

Thread: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Wild Animal Park near San Diego is a must.

Be sure to bring the longest lens you can, and IBIS is a very useful feature.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Pfister View Post
    I enjoy them, too, but I'm not sure you can call zoos antiquated institutions these days. Most of them have dramatically enlarged enclosures, have otherwise improved husbandry, and are active in a wide variety of breeding programmes geared towards the conservation of endangered and threatenes species. I'm sure an animal in the wild is happier, but their counterparts in zoos live a much better life these days than they did not so many decades ago.
    Points well taken. Agreed! Here's my contribution to abstract avian zoo photography.

Welcome to the Alien Aviary.

Tom
    Flickr Photostream
    Likes 17 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Haines View Post
    PS. Werner do you have a LR profile for the not so “Neutral” 10 stop filter?...Cheers Barry
    Barry,

yes i made one with color checker and x-rite, but i don't use it much.

I think you can remove the colorcast with white balance sliders quite good.

I prefer the more warm cast of the BW to the cold blue cast of the Lee....
    There is no 1000x ND filter with no cast.

At 16mm with the 16-35 and the BW110 ( i have a 77mm and step-down ring) i get very strong vignetting in the corners otherwise the combo is perfect.

I like the BW filters because they are not bulky compared to the Lee System.

In sunny conditions or at sunset with strong backlight the 110 is not enough....

My best Regards

Werner
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

" Neckar Wetlands "

BW 110 ND Filter

DSC02091.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

^^^^ Love the Pony shot. Well timed and processed. ^^^

Post Thanks / Like

Damn. Keep seeing these 16-35 shots and telling myself I don't want one. I am thinking of upgrading my 15/4.5 to the Mk III version which is half the cost of the 16-35 but on the other hand...
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Damn. Keep seeing these 16-35 shots and telling myself I don't want one. I am thinking of upgrading my 15/4.5 to the Mk III version which is half the cost of the 16-35 but on the other hand...

It is indeed a good lens and you get the benefit of OSS if the light get low. On the other hand after years of Leica primes I still find it hard to be really comfortable with a zoom lens mostly because of their size. As a one lens option for landscape and city work where you don't need a fast aperture it really excels. All this said as yet I can't bring myself to sell my WATE which is now getting a lot less use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by W.Utsch View Post
    Barry,

yes i made one with color checker and x-rite, but i don't use it much.

I think you can remove the colorcast with white balance sliders quite good.

I prefer the more warm cast of the BW to the cold blue cast of the Lee....
    There is no 1000x ND filter with no cast.

At 16mm with the 16-35 and the BW110 ( i have a 77mm and step-down ring) i get very strong vignetting in the corners otherwise the combo is perfect.

I like the BW filters because they are not bulky compared to the Lee System.

In sunny conditions or at sunset with strong backlight the 110 is not enough....

My best Regards

Werner
    Re: B+W 10 stop ND's. Thank you Werner, always a full informative answer my friend...I have tried the WhiBal method in the past and wasn’t entirely happy...I will see if I can tweak it a bit better with the CB sliders as you say.

Likewise I used to use the Lee filter system with ND Grads + LF 5”x4” (Film days) etc...I was only too glad to dispense with it when digital came along, it was much bulkier and slower to use.

I now have 3 of these filters (B+W MRC 1000x ND - 72mm, 67mm and 52mm) + A few step up rings for the lesser used lenses.

The colour cast with the WATE on the A7R + The cast from the 1000x ND filter were pretty impossible to neutralize...Out of pure frustration I just ended up doing black & white!
    The final straw for me was the WATE’s even stronger vignetting + That awful Leica WATE filter holder which only ended up making matters worse. I now much prefer using the 16-35mm lens with the A7R + 10 stop ND’s.

I’m now thinking that if Sony decides to battle Canon’s 50mp camera with a possible 50mp rumoured A9/A7RII camera, then the colour cast corners are going to be even more evident, just like they were when the Nex-7 (24mp) came along over the Nex-5N (16mp)...Personally I just hope they stick with 36mp’s and concentrate the batteries power to improving ISO noise, DR, FPS and bit processing of raw files.

A9/A7RII used in conjunction with the 35mm FE Distagons heavy wide open vignetting I might just end sticking with the lighter manual focus Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 II (which doesn’t vignette to badly wide open) as I’m more interested in updating my camera than necessarily the 35mm lens.

Ron and Tom...Great wildlife shots
    Not so keen on zoos if I’m being honest but as you say Ron a lot has changed for the better with most of them, just unfortunately not all of them!

Edit: Louis, loved the CV15mm (Mk1 & 2) in the past on film and APS-C it's obviously much improved for the Sony 7 series nowadays in a Mk3 form...but it has grown in weight and size and is no longer that lens that took up no space in your camera bag where the 16-35mm is even bigger and heavier (and obviously not a 15mm FL) but the benefits IMHO outweigh the negatives and make that a much more appealing lens to take out for the day, especially if you leave behind your CV21mm and you want to walk around the streets of London not having to keep switching lenses...Just my 2 pence worth.

Cheers Barry
    Last edited by Barry Haines; 15th March 2015 at 05:01.
    Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe this is going to be a filter solution:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/o...filter-adapter
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by W.Utsch View Post

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/o...filter-adapter
    Most intriguing - thanks for sharing this, Werner! I've always liked the drop-in filters of super-teles. Handling is easier, too, because the filter is near the lens mount and not an arm's length or so away. I wonder about the quality of the adaptor itself...

Edit: what I would really like is an adaptor with a built-in rotating tripod collar. Combining this with a filter holder would be fab!
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Edit: Louis, loved the CV15mm (Mk1 & 2) in the past on film and APS-C it's obviously much improved for the Sony 7 series nowadays in a Mk3 form...but it has grown in weight and size and is no longer that lens that took up no space in your camera bag where the 16-35mm is even bigger and heavier (and obviously not a 15mm FL) but the benefits IMHO outweigh the negatives and make that a much more appealing lens to take out for the day, especially if you leave behind your CV21mm and you want to walk around the streets of London not having to keep switching lenses...Just my 2 pence worth.

Cheers Barry
    Barry OT: I actually sold my WATE which I was using on an M8 when I acquired my first CV 15/4.5. Very little difference in quality (if any, truth be told) at f8.

Back on topic: the main advantage I can see of the FE16-35 for me is that it will take filters. I have mused seeing whether a good lens tech could actually remove the fixed metal petal filter on my Ultron 21 for that reason.

I have a feeling the CZ16-35 may actually be about the same weight as my Ultron!

LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    ^^^^ Love the Pony shot. Well timed and processed. ^^^
    I had to get out of the way pretty quickly as they were being herded down a narrow lane (about 20 of them) this was taken as some of them were coming back

Post Thanks / Like

Werner, OMG a return to water stops as filters...I will pass thank you...If I take up grave digging I might consider it

Back on topic: the main advantage I can see of the FE16-35 for me is that it will take filters. I have mused seeing whether a good lens tech could actually remove the fixed metal petal filter on my Ultron 21 for that reason.

I have a feeling the CZ16-35 may actually be about the same weight as my Ultron!

Louis, Then the 16-35mm could be a weight saver if you intend to carry around both the CV15mm III + CV21mm Ultron, you would obviously lose a bit of speed on the 21mm Ultron otherwise it could be a good solution for you....The 16-35mm shines well at 21mm with not much vignetting, CA or distortion at that FL.
    See...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/546025...7649315551921/

When the CV15mm MkI came out when film was the norm (ie. no filter thread version) I had SRB filters make me up a rear gelatin filter slip on holder for taking those old Kodak thin gelatin wratten filters for B&W, which I then cut down to size but it was a pain to use in every respect but it worked without losing the hood or gaining flare...Cheers Barry

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[I]Back on topic: the main advantage I can see of the FE16-35 for me is that it will take filters. I have mused seeing whether a good lens tech could actually remove the fixed metal petal filter on my Ultron 21 for that reason.

When the CV15mm MkI came out when film was the norm (ie. no filter thread version) I had SRB filters make me up a rear gelatin filter slip on holder for taking those old Kodak thin gelatin wratten filters for B&W, which I then cut down to size but it was a pain to use in every respect but it worked without losing the hood or gaining flare...Cheers Barry
    Barry, I Guess you meant the hood? If you pry and remove the ring that has all the lens info, you will find the notches underneath to remove a retaining ring. unscrewing that will lead you to the petal hood. You may need to put a spacer and screw the retaining ring back.

FWIW, the cap from certain 35mm film (plastic) boxes fit the rear of the Cosina 12, 15 and 21. Cutting a hole and mounting a filter then becomes easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Barry, I Guess you meant the hood? If you pry and remove the ring that has all the lens info, you will find the notches underneath to remove a retaining ring. unscrewing that will lead you to the petal hood. You may need to put a spacer and screw the retaining ring back.

FWIW, the cap from certain 35mm film (plastic) boxes fit the rear of the Cosina 12, 15 and 21. Cutting a hole and mounting a filter then becomes easy.
    Hi Vivek, yes the gelatin filter went between the rear element of the 15mm and the film/sensor.
    I did find out later that the petal hood was removable when I saw them on ebay several years later...It fitted similar to a bottle cap and slid on pretty firmly to the protruding rear element housing if you get my drift...Cheers Barry

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That was a suggestion to remove the petal hood on the Cosina 21/1.8

The other part was about the oldies. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

That was a suggestion to remove the petal hood on the Cosina 21/1.8

The other part was about the oldies. :-)
    I think we are all oldies here............................................ex cept for you of course
    Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I could not locate the plastic film box filter. Here is another one (cut out from a rubber washer) with a filter, rear mounted on my Cosina 15. Yes, it has a 49mm front filter as well.

Barry, I am very old!

Post Thanks / Like

I could not locate the plastic film box filter. Here is another one (cut out from a rubber washer) with a filter, rear mounted on my Cosina 15. Yes, it has a 49mm front filter as well.

Barry, I am very old!
    (Apologies OT) Vivek...Not quite the same...my one was machined (black anodised aluminium) to fit over and slide along the rear barrel so it didn't protrude more than 1/4 of a millimeter at the very end...it never caused any vignetting
    Sorry to hear that you are very old like the rest of us
    Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't know about you "lads" but I am so old that I can appreciate the efforts it takes to fold an umbrella back, very carefully.

Barry, Why do think my solution makes a protrusion beyond your custom made one? Check the rear of your lens. It has a tiny step. That is where the rubber washer with its filter fits in snugly.
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about you "lads" but I am so old that I can appreciate the efforts it takes to fold an umbrella back, very carefully.

Barry, Why do think my solution makes a protrusion beyond your custom made one? Check the rear of your lens. It has a tiny step. That is where the rubber washer with its filter fits in snugly.
    (OT) Vivek...I no longer own that lens.
    So your picture is just showing it resting on the top of the rear element and not actually fitted that makes more sense...So the rubber washer expands then to fit snugly on the sides with the gelatin filter butting up against.
    As it's shown in your pic I'm quite certain that would vignette on FF with a SWA 15mm lens...It certainly looks like it protrudes more than 1/4 of a millimeter at the very end in your pic...Cheers Barry
    Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines

Post Thanks / Like

Still having fun with multi-layered tone mapping, it’s a bit like 3D chess blending and fitting all the different layers together!...Please click on larger...Cheers Barry

Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines
    Likes 21 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

^^^
    Very pleasing processing!
    Tom
    Flickr Photostream
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frozenbb View Post
    ^^^
    Very pleasing processing!
    Thank you Tom...I enjoy doing it
    Likewise I genuinely enjoy your processing as well...We all do it differently here imparting our own signature in the actual work itself...Thanks again.
    Cheers Barry
    Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As it's shown in your pic I'm quite certain that would vignette on FF with a SWA 15mm lens...It certainly looks like it protrudes more than 1/4 of a millimeter at the very end in your pic...Cheers Barry
    Nein! It was all checked by using something even older (a Cook-Perkins focus checker made for LTM lenses) before I deployed it for use and results confirmed it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Barry. I find tone mapping can get a bit cartoonish/surreal, but your images never seem to suffer from that.

Here are two more desert snaps from the American Southwest, this time with the FE 35 2.8. Each is a bit busy - unfortunately my scouting shoots turned into my only shoots during the trip!

Tom
    Flickr Photostream
    Likes 16 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Clearance by Viramati, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Yeni Cami (New Mosque), Istanbul. A7R w/Leica 19mm R Ver 2

www.nns555.zenfolio.com

Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony A7 II + OM Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 @ f/2

Trying out a new button configuration for manual lenses.

Wiggles by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography | Sony 𝛼7 II - 2 Sony FE Zooms - Lots of Canon FD Glass | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some crazy PP (moving only one slider actually)

Last edited by Michiel Schierbeek; 16th March 2015 at 05:37.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frozenbb View Post
    Thanks Barry. I find tone mapping can get a bit cartoonish/surreal, but your images never seem to suffer from that.

Here are two more desert snaps from the American Southwest, this time with the FE 35 2.8. Each is a bit busy - unfortunately my scouting shoots turned into my only shoots during the trip!
    Very nice work again Tom ^^^
    That's a pity...Would have liked to seen more from the American Southwest desert.

It certainly does get a bit cartoonish/surreal at times as you say...I have to slide the opacity down on each layer to stop it getting to out of hand.
    ...Cheers Barry

“Something old and something new”
    Another one of my Cyanotypes (printed circa 1986) copied via the A7R...This time I used the very original Sir John Herschel formula (but cruder tonality) that Anna Atkins used for her books.
    Originally taken on LF Gandolfi 10x8 + Schneider Kreuznach 300mm f5.6 Symmar S - Contact printed onto hand coated Bockingford textured 300gsm paper.
    It seemed rather appropriate as Anna Atkins was born on March 16, 1799 (216 years ago today) She was the first ever person to produce an illustrated photographic book.
    + She is also the chosen front page on https://www.google.co.uk/ for today...The new bit was that it was taken on the Sony 70-200mm FE which turned up a couple of hours ago!...Exif shows the FL but not the model lens...will have to look into

Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

..haha, Barry....really well done..!
    thorkil

Post Thanks / Like

^^ great effort Barry, I really like that you show us some of the older pieces of your art this way. It's also nice to see the shadow of that Gandolfi at the bottom of the frame (I assume it's not your head).

Congrats with that 70-200, I'm sure you'll put it to good use and show us some more tighter framed pictures of the beautiful Cornish landscape.
    My Pics

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Thorkil and Pieter.

I think it was a combination of the camera and myself all buried under one large Dark Cloth...Tee hee hee
    The paper was way to textured even with brush coating backwards and forth to take the solution properly...it was early days when I was playing around with all these alternative types of photography...I think I must have tried around 20-30 types of alternative processes back then...great fun but very time consuming experimenting making up all the different formulae...I would rather cook a nice meal today
    Cheers Barry
    Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

...I would rather cook a nice meal today
    Cheers Barry
    ....and then do some solid tone-mapping as desert
    cheers thorkil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some really wow pictures lately I hardly dare post my mere flowers from Mother's Day but at least you can see the 35mm Voigtlander 1.2 II bookeh!

A7R

Delicate Blooms by christilou1, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Make that "bokeh"

Post Thanks / Like

^^^Lovely bokeh and flowers Christina...Happy belated mothers day to you

__________________________________________________ _______________

One more “Oldish style” print copied on the A7R with the 70-200mm FE before I get thrown out of here for abusing this thread
    Not meant to be a lecture, just more like light hearted rambling from myself...Please scroll past if not interested...As I’m sure many of you already know all the history and it’s a bit OT anyway.
    Went to Lacock Abbey (Home of William Henry Fox Talbot) about 20+ years ago, as I wanted to take a snap of the famous “Oriel Window” and finally end up with a “Paper negative”.
    (For the few here who didn’t know WHFT made a “Paper Negative” of the “Oriel Window” http://www.mpritchard.com/photohisto...s/orielpic.gif which I believe is still the earliest negative in existence today, more commonly known as a “Calotype” by exposing a piece of paper coated in light sensitive silver nitrate inside a camera)... A paper Calotype can easily take up to an hour to expose where I had only about 5 seconds to sort myself out but I was armed with modern film!
    I knew that I would be herded past this window at speed with a couple of thousand tourists barking at my heels surging me on...So I took my rangefinder Fuji GSW690 MkIII as I knew it would make the largest negative in the shortest amount of time...When I got home I processed the negative film, then I made a positive print on “Kentmere Kentona” paper, then I made a negative print by contacting the positive paper with yet another sheet of “KK”...ended up losing practically all the detail in the paper negative which completely defeated the sole purpose of my visit.
    Finished it all off by soaking the prints in dilute coffee to give the print some pseudo age to it...This was like working in complete reverse to WHFT...Cheers Barry

Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Barry, please keep sharing!
    Tom
    Flickr Photostream

Post Thanks / Like

The "Lovers" shot of mine was taken from this small mountain, known locally as "Helmet Peak." If you look closely, you can see two saguaro cactii gouped together about a third of the way up, on the left-hand side. The blurring in the foreground was due to 35mph wind gusts, which had thankfully subsided by the time I arrived on the mountain.

Adjoining this peak is an industrial copper mine. Both subjects intrigued me, but I never found the proper atmosphere/time to do them justice. The plants in the foreground are called jumping chollas, a cactus all too painfully familiar to anyone who has hiked in the region. The spines pierce through thick leather like it's butter. Word of advice: Carry a pair of needle nose pliers if you're hiking near them!

Tom
    Flickr Photostream

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Both A7 - Wood duck with Canon 300/4 L FD and abalone closeup with 100 mm Apo Macro and Elpro (latter with a little vibrance added in RAW)

Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sony A7S,Carl Zeiss Sonnar FE 35mm f2,8.
    f9,0 1/80s iso200.
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Testing out the Sony 70-200mm FE lens today, pretty delighted with it so far...It resolves excellent around 135mm (handheld with OSS on).
    You can just make out the gulls flying over the island in the “LARGER” image.

Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines

Post Thanks / Like

Still getting used to the A7R/ This one Nikkor-S 58mm 1.2

www.achdigital.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Same lens at F/2. This is for a project I'm working on in Miami. "Night Walks"

www.achdigital.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Chagin View Post
    Still getting used to the A7R/ This one Nikkor-S 58mm 1.2
    How do you process these? There are blotches of color (cyan) in the back ground.

Post Thanks / Like

I did them in ACR. It is very pushed.

www.achdigital.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A7R/55 1.8

Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

British Virgin Isles, a7II, FE16-35 at 20 mm.

Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca