The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwood

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

Same barn, 2-seperate A7r's one with the 24-70 the other with a 55mm. The 24-70 was taken f/11 1/160 ISO 50 at 60mm while the 55-was taken at f/11 1/125 ISO 50. This wasn't meant to be any sort of test, just wanted to show the files.

Enjoy....

Don
Nice pics, Don. Have both of these images had the same treatment (or none)? The 55 version, and I assume this is the FE 55/1.8, really leaps off the screen. It looks much more detailed, vibrant and richer than the 24-70 shot. I suspect the 24-70 version could get close to some of that look with some clarity tweaks etc., but that 55 shot is pretty impressive. I've just taken delivery of my A7R and 24-70 and can't wait to start shooting, but the FE 55/1.8 might now have to get ordered.

dwood

You've recently taken delivery of your new A7R and 24-70/F4, but haven't had the chance to go out and put it to the test. So, what do you do? Well, you walk out your front door and shoot your roof, of course.

We had some light, fluffy snow today, and the wind was blowing around 20 knots. The result was snow deposited on my roof shingles that left behind some interesting patterns. If you stare at the image long enough, it may start to mess with your mind a bit. :D

tashley

Subscriber Member

Michiel, as is so often the case, the far tip of Cornwall has its own weather - can work for or against you but largely it is like Iceland, it has no land for thousands of miles in the direction the weather comes from, so the weather changes a lot. It is sunny pretty much everywhere else in England...

BTW those Italian cigarette machines are amazing. I did a language course in Florence a few years back, when I was still a smoker, and we loved to get drunk and visit the machines late at night because they TALK to you. It was as close as I ever got to speaking with an Italian.

Don Libby

Nice pics, Don. Have both of these images had the same treatment (or none)? The 55 version, and I assume this is the FE 55/1.8, really leaps off the screen. It looks much more detailed, vibrant and richer than the 24-70 shot. I suspect the 24-70 version could get close to some of that look with some clarity tweaks etc., but that 55 shot is pretty impressive. I've just taken delivery of my A7R and 24-70 and can't wait to start shooting, but the FE 55/1.8 might now have to get ordered.
Thanks, the first shot was with the 55 then I decided to use the 24-70 and instead of switching lens I just used Sandy's camera. In reviewing the two files Sandy liked the 55 slightly better and i liked the 24-70. I went and processed the 24-70 first then decided to see if I could process the 55 the same way. There's slight differences in the processing of the two files.

The 24-70 was my go to lens when I used to shoot 35mm (Canon) and thought I'd want that with this as well however you just can't beat the 55mm. Both lenses are the new FE from Sony.

The time difference between the two files is right around 3-minutes.

Don

dwood

Thanks, the first shot was with the 55 then I decided to use the 24-70 and instead of switching lens I just used Sandy's camera. In reviewing the two files Sandy liked the 55 slightly better and i liked the 24-70. I went and processed the 24-70 first then decided to see if I could process the 55 the same way. There's slight differences in the processing of the two files.

The 24-70 was my go to lens when I used to shoot 35mm (Canon) and thought I'd want that with this as well however you just can't beat the 55mm. Both lenses are the new FE from Sony.

The time difference between the two files is right around 3-minutes.

Don
Both files look very nice, and I'm happy that I picked up the FE 24-70 for my new rig, but I'm thinking that the FE 55/1.8 may really be taking advantage of all that the A7R sensor has to offer. Thanks for sharing.

Godfrey

This morning in the cafe ...

Sony A7 + Summicron-R 35mm f/2
ISO 2000 @ f/2.8 @ 1/60 s

Not my most creative moment, but I was having fun seeing the lovely rendering of this lens. Probably my last acquisition for a long time. Unless ...

LOL!

G

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member

"Blue Hour"

I admire your work since a while here already, about time I say this, you really have "the eye" Werner!

Respect Mr. Utsch, respect, and yeah, I am bloody jealous on your amazing gear garage of top notch glass. LOL:):thumbup:

tashley

Subscriber Member

I loved the strong earth tones against the mist at West Bay, Dorset today - and liked also the compositional opportunities of the way the cliff line could be made to 'continue' into the wiggle of the surf line.

J

JohnW

That really is wonderful, Tim. I envy your neighborhood.

John

tashley

Subscriber Member

Thank you John - actually I'd never been to this place before but I was in transit on a road nearby and thought I'd go and take a look since it featured in a major UK TV series last year and looked like it might have photo potential!

Godfrey

exquisite, tim.

i've got to get out of the office some day soon and do some photography again ... !

G

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Jack getting ready to enforce some new rules around here. LOL

135 1.8 at 6.3 A7r

Status
Not open for further replies.