The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

Its kind of a weird lens . 24 is not as bad as I thought, 50 is brilliant, 35 is very good and 70 is the oddball. It's very touchy on focusing. On my test at 70mm it went out of focus but just general shooting not bad. Now here is the odd thing on some corners 5.6 looks better than F8

Overall its a really nice lens. Now I need more play time with it for sure. But its a kick to carry around as now this truly is the lightest cam 24-70 combo I ever ran across. Now that right there is worth the cost of admission.

Guy Mancuso

Like to go back test it some more but include like 28mm and 60mm focal lengths. Also just want to make sure I got a good copy. So far it seems okay

Guy Mancuso

I'll tell you what I like the best out of the whole system is the color out of C1 that is really making me happy. Red is red not orange red

tashley

Subscriber Member

Guy, at some apertures even F4 seems to give the best edges. Other odd thing is that you seem not to get more useable DOF as you stop down (I think a combo of slight forward focus shift and at tightening field curvature). 70mm never seems truly sharp at F4 but is pretty nice at F5.6 and 8.... but 'weird' is the right description: it has been so specifically engineered that it doesn't really behave like lenses of old...

Another thing: it does much better in everyday use than when you shoot it looking for problems...

Guy Mancuso

Well it is here to stay and won't be looking for anything really. I'll just shoot the thing and avoid the quirks. I just want to make sure I have a good copy. Just read your report on it which you did a great job on and that's enough info for me but yea it does have a mind different than normal. But as we know these mid zooms all have there quirks.

Did I mention how light and compact this is. Lol

nostatic

Its kind of a weird lens . 24 is not as bad as I thought, 50 is brilliant, 35 is very good and 70 is the oddball. It's very touchy on focusing.
I find it tends to hunt with AF at 70mm as well. Other focal lengths it is better behaved.

Slingers

Re: Fun With Sony _____

I was playing around today with my expodisc 2.0 to see if there was a difference between the flat field plugin and cornerfix. I could not see any noticeable differences. Here is some of the shots both with Sony NEX 7 + Contax G 35-70.

Last edited:

Etrianto

I was wondering why you want per se an MMJ or MMG version?
It is only usefull or necessary if you want to Leitax them. Often the AEG, or what was it called version, is even better now because they have often an all black mount which does not cause inner ghost reflections.
There seems to be no quality difference what so ever.

Here's my collection. One is lacking on this picture the 45/2.8 Tessar. A wonderfull pancake.

ohohoh...you're so cruel, making me drool with envy for those contax collection.
missing the "sell your kidney" expensive 21mm I guess

fotografz

Hi There - +1 Tim
Here's something completely different:

A7 Noctilux at 0.95
One of my favorites from you Jono. If I shot that, I'd immediately print it large and frame it for the wall … and I don't say that very often … especially about my own work :ROTFL:

Well done!

- Marc

BTW, was that done using the Voit close up adapter?

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member

First picture with the Sony A7R.
Nikon 80-200mm f/4.5 AI-S
I didn't use this lens for >20 years.

Last edited:

f/otographer

I mounted up my old 1959 aluminum Zeiss Jena Biotar 58/2 and went for a walk around a small, local rock garden. Which is an odd name since there are way more plants then rocks. All shots on the Biotar, some with tubes and some with a Minolta Close Up lens No.2.

the painterly quality of the biotar

shy, but with a bite

untitled

needles to thread

cry leaves

untitled

wolf head?

bee

and one from home, one of my daughters favorite charecters

jake, a neverland pirate

Status
Not open for further replies.