The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonoslack

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but Jono has posted many wonderful images produced using his Kit 28-70mm lens, that I'm very curious about what makes him say" the 24-70 zoom seems to be a success (even if rather an odd success)" ?

I am also using the 28-70mm Kit lens on my A7, and I haven't seen anyone post images with the 24-70mm that are as good or better than the results Jono obtained with his kit lens, so Why spend the money on essentially the same focal range?

Jono will you do a side by side comparison of the two lens to show us why you feel the 24-70 is a success?

Thank you
Hi Dave
Yes indeed - it might just be the emperor's new clothes, but I feel that the images from the 24-70 have more 'zing' about them. Certainly, my copy of the kit lens has sharper corners (but I think I was lucky with the kit lens!).

I'll try and do some comparisons, but time is rather tight at the moment. . . . . . Perhaps Tim should do it (after all, he's much better at this stuff than I am) Tim . . . Tim . . . . . Tiiim

all the best

Elderly

There's just too many beautifully observed images in this thread for me to single them out for individual 'Likes', or is that me being lazy?

Godfrey

HI Godfrey
Questions (please help!)
can you paste the link into another browser window?
Are the images on my website showing up?
does the text show up?
is it a time-out issue?

Thanks in advance!
Pasting into another browser window didn't do anything.
Images just showed up in my reply when I saw your reply. They still don't in the original post.
The text shows up.
Not sure whether it's a time-out issue.

G

benroy

Subscriber Member

Jono: latest image (this page) showed up very well...thanks for the concern.

Roy Benson

dwood

Lovely Douglas . . . . Trefethen sounds decidedly Cornish!
Thanks, Jono! This building is near the end of an old wharf on the Portland (Maine) waterfront. The company was orig. called the N.F. Trefethen Co. I'm told it was founded by Mr. Trefethen ~1870 or so. I believe he was born in/around the Portland area but don't more about his family history. Now you have me curious.

Pedestrian bridge over the Mississippi River, at the University of Minnesota.

A7R with an ancient Canon FD 20mm f2.8.

tashley

Subscriber Member

Hi Dave
Yes indeed - it might just be the emperor's new clothes, but I feel that the images from the 24-70 have more 'zing' about them. Certainly, my copy of the kit lens has sharper corners (but I think I was lucky with the kit lens!).

I'll try and do some comparisons, but time is rather tight at the moment. . . . . . Perhaps Tim should do it (after all, he's much better at this stuff than I am) Tim . . . Tim . . . . . Tiiim

all the best
I already did it an posted the results in a thread somewhere here, can't remember where, but in any event it was no contest, at least between my copies on an A7R. The 28-70 is a kit lens and looks like it, though it does often shine. The 24-70 has Zeiss genes and they show.

jonoslack

Prefer PIMS #1 myself...a bit more fruit.....:ROTFL:

Regards,

Bob
As long as you slosh enough gin it it Bob, then I'm inclined to agree (but we don't seem to have a bottle of it knocking around in the kitchen!

Godfrey

A few sea lions were lazing about in the water off the pier yesterday too.

All taken with Sony A7 + Elmar-R 180mm f/4

Thanks for looking! Comments always appreciated.

m_driscoll

More at the Northlake shipyard.

A7, Sony Zeiss 24-70mm f/4, 33mm, 1/125s @ f/4, ISO 500

A7, Sony Zeiss 24-70mm f/4, 24mm, 1/125s @ f/4, ISO 250

A7, Sony Zeiss 24-70mm f/4, 70mm, 1/125s @ f/4, ISO 640

A7, Sony Zeiss 24-70mm f/4, 70mm, 1/125s @ f/4, ISO 1250

A7, Sony Zeiss 24-70mm f/4, 24mm, 1/125s @ f/4, ISO 200

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

HI Godfrey
Questions (please help!)
can you paste the link into another browser window?
Are the images on my website showing up?
does the text show up?
is it a time-out issue?

Thanks in advance!
Jono: They show up at home (cable, very fast), on my iPad through AT&T (very fast); but not at work on the world's slowest DSL(Century Link). Good news...Comcast will run cable to my office for $69k. Maybe, I could get some of my neighbors to share it? :ROTFL:

Ps: I'm also thinking of getting the A7r, again, for use with the native lenses. :) It will be a good backup for the all B & W "A7r" Sony's going to announce in May. :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

An embarrassingly extreme crop.

A7, Sony Zeiss 24-70mm f/4, 65mm, 1/80 s @ f4; ISO 250

Cheers, Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.