The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry Haines

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

Hello Barry:
I'll have to look into that source book. But don't worry about scary stories. Nothing is as scary as the stuff you hear about nowadays. Luckily there are still plenty of pleasant things to photograph (as this site proves) and pleasant people to talk to (in a written sort of a way).
Best regards,
John
I dunno John...You might be surprised :eek::eek::eek:
In that book it tells you how to conjure up the Devil as long as you can find 12 purer than white Cornish virgins to carry out the rite (They must be prepared and willing to be sacrificed)...Needless to say nobody has conjured him up yet!
Give it a go and let me know how it works out ;);)
Cheers Barry

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member

Really enjoying the A7R with Canon 17mm F4 TSE and Metabones III. I think I lucked out with a good Metabones because mine seems to be just tight enough, and to not have any asymmetry.

T/S lenses are so much easier to focus on the A7R because you can actually see what you are doing properly through the EVF.

tashley

Subscriber Member

Thanks! I liked one of them particularly (though at web size a lot of the reason for that isn't so evident) so I tarted it up a bit... apologies if it's overcooked but the light is so smoggy and flat here that I crave a bit of drama!

kuujinbo

Nikkor 50mm 1.4 LTM. A small, fast ~60 year old 50mm. Uncoupled minimum focus distance of ~45cm or ~1.5 feet, which is an added bonus. With the Voigtlander VM-E adapter, you can get even closer.

f4

Wide-open

f2.8 at a little more normal distance

scho

Two from a woodland walk with the A7r+Samyang 24mm f/3.5 TS lens.

jfirneno

Thanks! I liked one of them particularly (though at web size a lot of the reason for that isn't so evident) so I tarted it up a bit... apologies if it's overcooked but the light is so smoggy and flat here that I crave a bit of drama!

Hello Tim:
Cook to your heart's content! That's what art is all about. I was very interested to see your TSE 17 photos here. I remember you weren't happy with the TSE 24 optic. How does the 17mm stand up under analysis? I'm guessing that the corners are satisfactory? Anyway, that's a very fancy piece of metal and glass and I must say one that I've been interested in. Do you have any thoughts on the usefulness of 17mm vs 24mm with a tilt shift?
Regards,
John

tashley

Subscriber Member

Hi John, and thanks!
The lens seems to do very nicely even to the edges. I haven't yet shot it in all its possible permutations but it is certainly in a different league from any Nikon T/S lens I ever had and it also seems good out of the box in a way that none of the 24mm TSEs I tried were.

You can usually tell a good or bad lens in just a few frames with no testing. Testing seems necessary to iron out what is wrong and see if there's a way around it, and sometimes to 'prove' that the lens s badly designed or built. But a good lens shines straight away and this one does. I have tried it with plenty of tilt and mild shift permutations and its seems fine, though I all soon enough test it to see what its limits are on the A7R.

Frankly I thought I wanted a 24mm only because the protruding front element of the 17mm scared me. It still scares me, and it also restricts the angles relative to the sun you can shoot at because of the lack of a hood. So it is less practical. But having a really nice low distortion 17mm lens is a useful addition to the bag and the movements are going to be useful for all sorts of things.

Barry Haines

A Couple from Padstow, Cornwall...A7R + 55mm f/F1.8 FE

Rock to Padstow Ferry & Padstow Harbour.

Last edited:

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member

Sony A7R and Sony Sonnar FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA

Different look compared to the LEICA MM and 35mm Cron. I'm glad to have both.
B & W conversion is so easy as the file contains lots of information.
It's very closed to the files from H4D-40 and Leica S2 without back pain.

Knorp

A bit of keystoning was required here ...

| Leica Vario-Elmarit-R 1:2.8-4.5/28-90 Asph |

m_driscoll

I picked up a few Zeiss C/Y lenses. This is the Planar 50mm f/1.4. Mark V. at Glazer's Camera took the second photo.

A7r, Zeiss Planar 1.4/50mm, 1/40s, ISO 100

A7r, Zeiss Planar 1.4/50mm, 1/320s, ISO 1000

A7r, Zeiss Planar 1.4/50mm, 1/250s, ISO 1000

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

One of my wife's watercolors and a pink flying pig. No actual connection...real, or, implied.

A7r, Sony Zeiss 35mm f/2.8, 1/25s @ f/2.8, ISO 2000

Cheers, Matt

Last edited:

Barry Haines

I picked up a few Zeiss C/Y lenses. This is the Planar 50mm f/1.4. Mark V. at Glazer's Camera took the second photo.

A7r, Zeiss Planar 1.4/50mm, 1/320s, ISO 1000

Cheers, Matt
I like all 3 Matt...This shot is my favourite.

Barry Haines

Sony A7R and Sony Sonnar FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA

Different look compared to the LEICA MM and 35mm Cron. I'm glad to have both.
B & W conversion is so easy as the file contains lots of information.
It's very closed to the files from H4D-40 and Leica S2 without back pain.

jfirneno

Hi John, and thanks!
The lens seems to do very nicely even to the edges. I haven't yet shot it in all its possible permutations but it is certainly in a different league from any Nikon T/S lens I ever had and it also seems good out of the box in a way that none of the 24mm TSEs I tried were.

You can usually tell a good or bad lens in just a few frames with no testing. Testing seems necessary to iron out what is wrong and see if there's a way around it, and sometimes to 'prove' that the lens s badly designed or built. But a good lens shines straight away and this one does. I have tried it with plenty of tilt and mild shift permutations and its seems fine, though I all soon enough test it to see what its limits are on the A7R.

Frankly I thought I wanted a 24mm only because the protruding front element of the 17mm scared me. It still scares me, and it also restricts the angles relative to the sun you can shoot at because of the lack of a hood. So it is less practical. But having a really nice low distortion 17mm lens is a useful addition to the bag and the movements are going to be useful for all sorts of things.
Tim:
I know what you mean about the front element. I have an old Sigma 12-24 in A-mount and it's almost comical. It looks like a heat lamp bulb attached to a lens mount. But I think really wide can sometimes be a lot of fun. Just aiming that thing straight up in a forest (with a remote to allow you to get out of the picture) can sometimes produce very interesting results. Well you've given me something to think about (with respect to the 17mm TSE). Please keep us in the loop on your thoughts.
Regards,
John

W.Utsch

Chef at work: Ora d'Aria, Ristorante *, Firenze

"Art Walk", Firenze

Status
Not open for further replies.