The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professional

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

I have two OEM batteries and two Wasabi. I've been testing them, comparing their charge longevity and such. They are identical, far as I can tell. It's up to you to spend nearly 3x as much for Sony branded batteries if that's what makes you comfortable, never mind the 'free' charger thrown in. I understand the comfort issue.. Sometimes it's worth it. I don't think it is in this case, but that's me.

G
Lucky you to have 2 OEM and 2 of Wasabi, maybe later i will buy 2 of each either, but could be that i want to start with OEM first.

Thank you!

m_driscoll

Lake Union; looking South towards downtown.

A7r, 55mm f/1.8, 1/6400s @ f/1.8, ISO 100

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

She soon lost interest.

A7, 35mm f/2.8, 1/125s @ f/2.8, ISO 6400

A7, 35mm f/2.8, 1/125s @ f/3.2, ISO 6400

Cheers, Matt

biglouis

I was being a bit 'touristy' in my own home town today and was at Wellington Arch in the centre of Hyde Park Corner in time to see the daily procession of the Household Cavalry, in this case the Life Guards, through the arch.

All A7+FE 35/2.8

This is detail from the frame above - I didn't know the 35/2.8 could do portraits!

In the distance is the WWI memorial to the Royal Artillery

Godfrey

Lucky you to have 2 OEM and 2 of Wasabi, maybe later i will buy 2 of each either, but could be that i want to start with OEM first.

Thank you!
I have to point out that the reason I bought the Wasabi batts was that I had two OEM batteries and the Sony battery charger was back-ordered. I think it's idiotic of them to supply the camera with only a power supply to charge batteries (very very slowly) in the camera. I was fishing about for a cheap battery charger, they're usually about $10, so I could charge my batteries. I found that the Wasabi batteries at $30 came with a charger, so I figured "$20 for two batteries? good deal, I'll give them a try..."

Of course, buying the Wasabis meant that my backordered Sony charger arrived a day later. The Sony charger is nicer ... but it does exactly the same job.

Such it is. ;-)

G

scho

Two with the A7r+Leica R 50 cron

Old stump near waterfront market. SEP2 conversion to monochrome.

Leavings at the market. I don't know why the 3 stones were placed near the empty bottle.

pegelli

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Your first post doesn't show a picture for me, but the second is a beauty, what an animal, and it looks so relaxed. Just our son's house cat, but I know that isn't the case ;)

Only wondering what the slight hazy/blueish areas of the picture are, flare from the backlight or some branches very close that are way out of focus?

Today I went to Fort Duffel, a recently fully restored WW I fort in the outer ring around Antwerp. However I was not lucky, it will only open to the public on May 4 and due to the ongoing last construction they didn't allow me in. So I had to make do with the view at the entrance gate and through some peep-holes. I thought B&W fitted the theme well.

1: Entrance tunnel

2: Peep hole 1

3: Peep hole 2

All NEX6 + E20/2.8

jaree

+1. Never had an issue with Wasabi batteries. First used them on my Nex-7 - they last as long or in some cases longer than the Sony OEMs.

I have two OEM batteries and two Wasabi. I've been testing them, comparing their charge longevity and such. They are identical, far as I can tell. It's up to you to spend nearly 3x as much for Sony branded batteries if that's what makes you comfortable, never mind the 'free' charger thrown in. I understand the comfort issue.. Sometimes it's worth it. I don't think it is in this case, but that's me.

G

f/otographer

A few more from the Tamron Adaptall 17a. It is a wonderfully compact 35-70mm 3.5 with a great built in macro function. All of the shots here were taken with just the lens, no tubes or close up filters. It isnt true macro but works well in pinch. Hope you enjoy.

under an eggshell sky

fairies in the dusk

tall into the night

to paint the other side

vanquish (straight out of the camera btw, toy camera mode)

forest of the morning's night (also sooc, high contrast monochrome mode)

ZoranC

+1. Never had an issue with Wasabi batteries. First used them on my Nex-7 - they last as long or in some cases longer than the Sony OEMs.
I found that the Wasabi batteries at $30 came with a charger, so I figured "$20 for two batteries? good deal, I'll give them a try..."

Of course, buying the Wasabis meant that my backordered Sony charger arrived a day later. The Sony charger is nicer ... but it does exactly the same job.
Knowing how volatile and dangerous lithium-ion batteries can be (there is a very very good reason why they are scrutinized by transportation companies) I buy nothing but OEM batteries and chargers. Any saving or convenience is never worth a chance that safety of my family, me, and those around me, will be reduced / endangered. I don't gamble with that.

Godfrey

Knowing how volatile and dangerous lithium-ion batteries can be (there is a very very good reason why they are scrutinized by transportation companies) I buy nothing but OEM batteries and chargers. Any saving or convenience is never worth a chance that safety of my family, me, and those around me, will be reduced / endangered. I don't gamble with that.
That's about ten degrees more paranoid than I can muster, on a scale of seven.

G

ZoranC

That's about ten degrees more paranoid than I can muster, on a scale of seven.
One doesn't need to research a lot to find out there is absolutely nothing paranoid when it comes to treating lithium ion batteries with due respect. Taking shortcuts on safety to save $20-ish? I'm sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense to me. Those to which $20-ish makes that much difference don't have thousands of dollars worth in camera and lenses in same bag. And those that do have thousands of dollars in camera and lenses make absolutely no sense to me when they look at non-OEM batteries and chargers, especially if motivator is to save few bucks.

ceh

A few more from the Tamron Adaptall 17a. It is a wonderfully compact 35-70mm 3.5 with a great built in macro function. All of the shots here were taken with just the lens, no tubes or close up filters. It isnt true macro but works well in pinch. Hope you enjoy.
..beautiful images.
:thumbs:

biglouis

I'm not trolling but I assume you know that the batteries you buy from the camera manufacturer are produced for them by an OEM manufacturer?

I wouldn't be surprised if any of the third party batteries on sale are actually from the same manufacturer as the camera branded ones.

Personally, I purchase OEM batteries from ExPro. I've used them in my RX1, A7, both my DPxMs and my Ricoh GR.

I haven't been hit by exploding camera shrapnel, yet.

LouisB

m_driscoll

A few from Christmastime that I just got to.

A7, 35mm f/2.8, 1/100s @ f/4, ISO 400

A7, 35mm f/2.8, 1/100s @ f/4, ISO 400

A7, 35mm f/2.8, 1/125s @ f/4, ISO 320

A7, 35mm f/2.8, 1/125s @ f/4, ISO 400

A7, 55mm f/1.8, 1/200s @ f/2.5, ISO 1600

Cheers, Matt

philip_pj

The new Boeing 787 has a quite warm floor location near the toilet block. I know this because I pad around in socks to avoid DVT on long flights. I wonder if they are the Li-ion batteries under the floor. The literature suggests they are. Useful if you get cold feet though.

I've been using generic batteries since the nex-5. I'm glad Sony didn't luck out non oem batteries on the a7.

Status
Not open for further replies.