The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwood

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

It's been a seemingly endless, cold, snow-filled Winter here in Maine. There is, however, finally some evidence that Spring has truly arrived. This picture was just a quick snapshot this morning, but it gave me hope for better, warmer days to come.

A7R / FE 24-70

Michiel Schierbeek

Trouble is with the MBP that when you travel with it and an ipad, it starts to get too heavy with all the camera gear too. I really weaned the Surface to be goof but it is waaay too glitchy for serious use IMHO.
Thanks Tim!
So that is settled then. No surface for now. Bring my notebook, a bit more heave but it works.

biglouis

"Springtime Promises" - inspired and in memoriam Bert Jansch and Pentangle

A7+FE 35/2.8

Listen to the song here...

Professional

Back to that paper type, why you mentioned those papers so far? I see Luster as top most popular over other types of papers, why is that?

I have Epson 3800, and i love that Luster and also Kodak Semi-Glossy, but i didn't test other many papers types to see, but i saw one paper as a sample printed with a portrait image, it was popping/standing out like a 3D, the black and tonality is amazing, the surface is matte or very similar to matte, not cotton and not canvas, so i hope to know what is that paper type, i forgot the name.

Godfrey

Back to that paper type, why you mentioned those papers so far? I see Luster as top most popular over other types of papers, why is that?

I have Epson 3800, and i love that Luster and also Kodak Semi-Glossy, but i didn't test other many papers types to see, but i saw one paper as a sample printed with a portrait image, it was popping/standing out like a 3D, the black and tonality is amazing, the surface is matte or very similar to matte, not cotton and not canvas, so i hope to know what is that paper type, i forgot the name.
I never use luster.. It was designed to mask problems with sharpness, and as a result it tends to kill sharpness a little.

I usually print to matte papers, Hahnemuhle Bamboo, Epson Velvet Fine Art, Epson Hot Press Natural. Smooth, high detail surface. For photos that want a little more brilliance, Epson Exhibition Fiber is great.

G

W.Utsch

I prefer matt (Baryta) papers as well but thats certainly a question of personal taste.
It has a more artistic feeling to me and i like the tonality. HM Bamboo is very nice too, if the warmer white fits to the subject.

Never use semi gloss or Luster , when i want glossy i use very glossy like Pictorico High Glossy Film (has a Cibachrome feeling to it) or Harman Baryta Gloss FBAI (now sold by Hahnemühle). I agree that Luster has sharpness problems.

Sorry can't help about that searched for paper but would suspect that it is a Baryta.

The printing forum is probably the better place to discuss paper topics....

Mark K

Another view from the same region....finally one camera can compete with my D800

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Thought I would show what a Rokinion 14mm looks like corrected for distortion. Shot at ISO 100 F8 for a show i did this week of a 2nd level booth. Distortion corrected with PT lens plugin

D

Deleted member 7792

Guy, I'm assuming you're using the Canon mount lens with an adapter. Is that a fairly large combo mounted on the a7/a7R? The result looks excellent. I'd love to see what the original (without distortion correction) looks like for comparison.

Joe

Guy Mancuso

I actually bought it in the Sony A mount and use the Sony adapter 3 on it. works nice and yes a little big but worth it. My Sigma 35mm 1.4 Sony mount is big but love that lens.

Guy Mancuso

Here Joe keep a eye on the glass frame and than watch the big pillars on the floor

corrected

Guy Mancuso

And Yes you do lose a very slight amount of the image. But its not much and with a 14mm your usually having plenty of elbow room anyway.

Where'd you get the plug-in for the 14?
I made a Lightroom lens profile for the 14mm, if anyone wants to try it.

Once it's installed, you just have to choose Sony as the camera and the lens will show up in the list. I have the Rokinon version, so I named it that way, but it will work for the other brands as well.

Here it is:

D

Deleted member 7792

Thanks Guy and guys!

Joe

Michiel Schierbeek

I made a Lightroom lens profile for the 14mm, if anyone wants to try it.

Once it's installed, you just have to choose Sony as the camera and the lens will show up in the list. I have the Rokinon version, so I named it that way, but it will work for the other brands as well.

Here it is:
That's nice and kind to share! Would that work in ACR as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.